Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Money (falmer)

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Watching and reading every bit of news that might be about Falmer it was mentioned even if the tossers from LDC don't appeal work won't start on
our new stadium till about October 2008!!!
The reason being so we can get all the money together.
Now excuse me for being ignorant here but if you were building your own house
you would make sure you have all the money in place before trying to get planning
permission etc.
HAMPSHIRE DAVE:shootself:ascarf:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Watching and reading every bit of news that might be about Falmer it was mentioned even if the tossers from LDC don't appeal work won't start on
you would make sure you have all the money in place before trying to get planning
permission etc.

The financial plan is in place. That was part of the public inquiry. The buildings on the uni have to be demolished and the farmer given 6 months notice as a tenant deserves etc.

permission etc.

Paragraph 83 of the Decision Letter deals with this:-

"The Secretary of State has not included suggested condition 38 of Document LDC 42 as she does not consider that this condition is reasonable given that it is unlikely to be possible to know before the development commences the level of funding required to complete and operate the stadium".

I think suggested condition 38 was a requirement that LDC wanted to impose that effectively prevented work starting until ALL the money was in place. With construction industry costs rising as fast as they are, that could effectively delay the project even longer.

Besides which, who would lend you money to build a house if you didn't have planning permission?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
this money we got from Seeda ?? 5m is a great start though and shows a great level of commitment from an official source

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may be thick but could the club not call in Gambles, simply because I was told 5 years ago that Gambles had got the contract for building the roads when we eventually get a Yes, and pay them to start digging as soon as the 42 days are up. This would prevent any further delaying tactics like applying to the High Court etc with special circumstances.

I may be thick but could the club not call in Gambles, simply because I was told 5 years ago that Gambles had got the contract for building the roads when we eventually get a Yes, and pay them to start digging as soon as the 42 days are up. This would prevent any further delaying tactics like applying to the High Court etc with special circumstances.
If only road construction was that easy!

The two highway authorities involved (Brighton & Hove City Council and the Highways Agency) have to approve the timetable for the works and they have a duty to ensure that the interests of road users are taken into account in scheduling how the works are done. Because it's public money that will be spent, the works have to be put out to tender in accordance with European public works regulations.

I can't imagine that Gambles have already got a properly awarded contract. This is probably one of those rumours like the claims I've heard about McAlpines and/or Adenstar already having a deal to build the stadium. Quite untrue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I left my pub in Burgess Hill in Feb 2003 and long before that we had a chap who was a regular, who worked for Gambles and he told me on many occassions that he had been up at Falmer working getting ready to start building the new roads into the ground. He may have been spinning a yarn I do not know but he didnt strike me as sufficiently intelligent to be capable of a wind up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I left my pub in Burgess Hill in Feb 2003 and long before that we had a chap who was a regular, who worked for Gambles and he told me on many occassions that he had been up at Falmer working getting ready to start building the new roads into the ground. He may have been spinning a yarn I do not know but he didnt strike me as sufficiently intelligent to be capable of a wind up.

The stadium isn't the only thing being built at Falmer...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here