Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Midfield

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I would worry that he's getting to a level where if he goes somewhere on loan and plays well we could have another Ben White scenario on our hands.

Worry? Surely this is the idea? Imagine we had a dozen youth players that other teams were creaming themselves over in this way?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Mooy has had a rough time on here recently. He was excellent for that purple patch and will rediscover that form - mark my words. Alzate will also continue to shine. I think we’re well covered everywhere apart from LWB / LB and up front.

I've yet to see Alzate have a bad game, and he's really stood out at times. Leeds fans not realising the difference in quality between the Championship and Premier League and ******* themselves silly over how good Ben White is has got Brighton fans buying into the hype that he's the best young player to come through our academy, whereas we've got another academy product that's already proved his worth at PL level and is a full international for a top-ten-ranked team.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
We have too many players in midfield that are ‘alright’

And not enough that are good

Lallana
Biss
Alzate

Sometimes Propper

Other than that they are ok but patchy .... and that’s the difference between a team that finishes 15-20th and a team that finishes mid table and above.

We lack goals and players that drive the game on

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Worry? Surely this is the idea? Imagine we had a dozen youth players that other teams were creaming themselves over in this way?

Ha ha yeah I suppose you're right. I guess I was thinking it would be a shame to produce a quality player and then sell them on without us getting to see the benefits. Molumby has been on the radar for a while now, and I'm really excited about him getting in the team I think he's got a lot of potential.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Maybe it is? I thought after his season loan, and the club telling Millwall that he was in our plans when they wanted to buy him, that maybe he would be getting a look in for the first team. He certainly seems to have had a very steady season of development. But who knows what they have planned. I personally think he's ready to be given a shout. I would worry that he's getting to a level where if he goes somewhere on loan and plays well we could have another Ben White scenario on our hands.

That's kind of the idea of the academy and loan progression.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We've got too many central midfielders, which is a waste of wages. I suspect 1 or 2 will be moving on this summer.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Word... either turns into a top class player or into £30m, both pretty handy..

I've yet to see Alzate have a bad game, and he's really stood out at times. Leeds fans not realising the difference in quality between the Championship and Premier League and ******* themselves silly over how good Ben White is has got Brighton fans buying into the hype that he's the best young player to come through our academy, whereas we've got another academy product that's already proved his worth at PL level and is a full international for a top-ten-ranked team.

Agree, he is class.. I really hope he stays fit as I think he would be the solution to at least one of the midfield issues (the lack of a penetrating two-way midfielder).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you can get yourself a Premiership quality midfield general who carries the team and wins the battles in the middle, then you've got yourself one of the best players in the world. Tell me of these midfield generals you speak of who are doing it in the Prem?

The last 2 players of this type I can remember good enough for the Prem were Viera and Keane. I think that people thought Joey Barton was going to turn into one of these type of players but it just turned out he was a nasty piece of work.

Jonjo Shelvey springs to mind

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
That's kind of the idea of the academy and loan progression.

Yeah someone else pointed that out as well. I think what I meant is he could go out on loan and get to a level where big clubs (Liverpool & Chelsea obviously not Leeds) start sniffing around. Which doesn't matter if we keep him, but I think he could feature and develop to that level in our team, which means we'd not only benefit from that but it might also develope his loyalty to us.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We've got too many central midfielders, which is a waste of wages. I suspect 1 or 2 will be moving on this summer.

In a 4-2-3-1 (and I know Potter changes formations with the weather!) I’d favour Bissouma and Alzate as I think they are the future.

Băluță & Molumby will be assessed in the Summer as back-up with the former a useful option if we start flogging centre backs at a high rate.

With rumours of AMN or Monchu attracting attention too, it seems like Stephens and/or Pröpper might be leaving. If we’re looking to increase the transfer kitty, Pröpper would be the one to cash in on (especially after his post lockdown form).

I’ve also noticed Spurs/Saints are exchanging players now, we’ve certainly got at least two players (Pröpper & Ali-J) that Ajax would be interested in - I’d love us to try and get Neres, could be our only opportunity to get a Zaha level player on the cheap as he comes back to full fitness from a big injury.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yeah someone else pointed that out as well. I think what I meant is he could go out on loan and get to a level where big clubs (Liverpool & Chelsea obviously not Leeds) start sniffing around. Which doesn't matter if we keep him, but I think he could feature and develop to that level in our team, which means we'd not only benefit from that but it might also develope his loyalty to us.

It doesn't matter if we sell them, because then we get a large sum of money in the transfer kitty to spend where it's needed. The Ben White situation is win:win for Brighton. Let's be honest, the main reason people want him to stay isn't because we're excited to have another ball playing centre half in the squad, but because Leeds fans are being entitled dicks about it.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
It doesn't matter if we sell them, because then we get a large sum of money in the transfer kitty to spend where it's needed. The Ben White situation is win:win for Brighton. Let's be honest, the main reason people want him to stay isn't because we're excited to have another ball playing centre half in the squad, but because Leeds fans are being entitled dicks about it.

Ha ha yes their attitude definietly does inspire us to dig our heels in. But it would be nice to start producing some players that would enhance our team rather than other people's.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We have too many players in midfield that are ‘alright’

And not enough that are good

Lallana
Biss
Alzate

Sometimes Propper

Other than that they are ok but patchy .... and that’s the difference between a team that finishes 15-20th and a team that finishes mid table and above.

We lack goals and players that drive the game on

Proper is definitely no more than 'alright' and often not even that. Gladly get rid if we could get the money back.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Jonjo Shelvey springs to mind

Hardly a midfield general or real threatening physical presence........

Skillful and potential game changer for sure, but lazy and never really tracks back or gets stuck in. Just minces about like hes out on a Sunday afternoon stroll.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Hardly a midfield general or real threatening physical presence........

Skillful and potential game changer for sure, but lazy and never really tracks back or gets stuck in. Just minces about like hes out on a Sunday afternoon stroll.

Thought you were talking about Propper
Until I. It iced the quote above 🤣

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thought the plan was for him to have another year out on loan?

Excuse me? We don't have PLANS for these players. We just cast them aside without a care, to be picked up by charitable Championship clubs, who will, with a touch of their manager's Latin genius, turn them instantly from non-league plodders into future World Cup winners, whereby we claim all the credit and entirely unreasonably demand money for them.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I can see us playing Ben White in almost an old sweeper roll next season, tucking in between Dunk & Webster to mop up at the back and add an anchor in midfield. Not sure we need to buy a midfielder with the rest we have?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Are Trossard and Ali J midfielders?

In central midfield, I would imagine Bissouma will cement his first name on the midfield team sheet and Alzate, Stephens, Molumby and Propper will compete over (usually) one more spot

Further forward, Lallana and Trossard, you'd have thought are in the box seat to get the most game time out of the rest. Mooy, McAllister and Gross are probably competing for one space

Having said that, I'm sure there will be more comings and goings

They are both attacking midfielders, yes. Neither can really play up front nor in the number 10 position.

Agree on much of what you say except I think Molumby will go out on loan. Usually think we are better with Alzate in the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here