Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Mens FA Cup

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I totally agree. It's a terrible idea. The windfall that some of the smaller clubs gain from a plum tie can sometimes mean a new stand, paying off debts or even keep them solvent in some cases.
And the money that small clubs get that can make a difference is petty cash to the big boys. I don’t get how anyone other than a big club would support this and even then it’s shameful if they do..again just imo

I genuinely wish they’d all feck off and set up a sport washing super league that clubs like us having nothing to do with. I’d be happy never to play any of them again!

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Quite a few on this thread endorsing no replays but then saying they don’t agree with not splitting match day revenue.

The two go hand in hand imo. Lower league/non league teams are ecstatic if they draw with a higher league club and force an away replay. One, it gives their club extra revenue, and two it gives players a once in a life time big day in front of a large crowd.

This is a great way to filter money down the football pyramid, at a time when the Premier league as a whole and especially the ‘Big 6’ are pulling away financially more than ever.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
The first thing i noticed when I came to Spain all those years ago was the lack of interest in the Kings Cup. Well certainly until it reaches the later stages, it seems to me. Weekends are reserved for League games and everybody plays everyone else before Christmas, small break then the reverse fixtures are played pretty much in the same order. The Cup games are fitted in mid-week I assume because you don’t see a lot of travelling fans like you do in the UK. I would be concerned that the interest in the FA Cup might well fade if the games become mid-week fixtures only.

Madrid and Barcelona have long argued that they should have the lions share of TV revenue because they are the ones people want to see. The big 6 are obviously going to try that on!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Quite a few on this thread endorsing no replays but then saying they don’t agree with not splitting match day revenue.

The two go hand in hand imo. Lower league/non league teams are ecstatic if they draw with a higher league club and force an away replay. One, it gives their club extra revenue, and two it gives players a once in a life time big day in front of a large crowd.

This is a great way to filter money down the football pyramid, at a time when the Premier league as a whole and especially the ‘Big 6’ are pulling away financially more than ever.
Good point

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
For both league and cup, they should just get accountants to calculate which club has spent the most on transfers and salaries. Who ever spends most gets to win everything. It's the model our society is run on and by and large (except when we finish 6th) how the EPL and FA cup pan out. I'm not sure Chelsea have worked that out this year.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Can't wait till August 5th for the men's preliminarily round of the 2023/4 Emirates FA cup .

When is the draw made ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’m glad you put the ‘Mens’ FA Cup in the title 👍

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Abolishing all replays - Not BAD
All games to be played midweek - Wank
Final on a normal PL weekend, likely to clash with PL fixtures at same time - Wank
Amendments to equal revenue split of fixtures to reflect attractiveness of relative sides playing - Whats that mean

Replays are vital for many League One and League Two clubs.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
And the money that small clubs get that can make a difference is petty cash to the big boys. I don’t get how anyone other than a big club would support this and even then it’s shameful if they do..again just imo

I genuinely wish they’d all feck off and set up a sport washing super league that clubs like us having nothing to do with. I’d be happy never to play any of them again!
Even better if those clubs in the sports washing league actually moved their home grounds to Saudi Arabia.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If they water the FA Cup down to this level of irrelevance, may as well bin the League Cup immediately. The vacancy for a competition nobody cares about until the semi-finals at best will be full.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Replays finished off Telford a few years back when they kept having to postpone matches due to a waterlogged pitch and were fined.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I am more against that than any of the other suggestions. The only one I agree with is no replays……we’ll have more than enough games next season :smile:
Disagree. The whole magic of the cup for small clubs about getting a scrappy draw away at a big club and bringing them back to your shit hole to kick lumps out of them, or getting a draw at your shit hole and getting a day out at a big ground with a big payday for the club. No replays from the Quarter finals onwards works well.

Reactions: A1X

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Disagree. The whole magic of the cup for small clubs about getting a scrappy draw away at a big club and bringing them back to your shit hole to kick lumps out of them, or getting a draw at your shit hole and getting a day out at a big ground with a big payday for the club. No replays from the Quarter finals onwards works well.
You are right, that was just my selfish attitude due to the additional games we already have. It’s a fair cop

I think Grimsby proves the point

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Until the FA grow some balls and sanction Man City avwr their dubious FFP practices the FA cup is a one horse show which we all find very boring.
Replays are vital for many League One and League Two clubs.
You say that although the odds of a L1/L2 getting one against any PL side must be very vey low.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here