Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Magic of the FA Cup…

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I’m not sure the rest of the world will be thinking much of Spurs v Brighton….the TV companies will be looking for potential upsets. Palace v Hartlepool is potentially much more interesting (as is Liverpool v Cardiff or even Man City v Fulham). Why show two premier league teams, unless they are both big shots.

Except the upsets are rare and who wants to watch Liverpool, or even Palace rattle a hatful in against lower league opposition?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m not sure the rest of the world will be thinking much of Spurs v Brighton….the TV companies will be looking for potential upsets. Palace v Hartlepool is potentially much more interesting (as is Liverpool v Cardiff or even Man City v Fulham). Why show two premier league teams, unless they are both big shots.

They showed WH/Leeds this afternoon when Spurs were playing Morecambe and Liverpool were playing Shrewsbury

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Except the upsets are rare and who wants to watch Liverpool, or even Palace rattle a hatful in against lower league opposition?

True, but we’ve just had Swindon v Man City, Millwall v Palace and Hull v Everton on tv. Forest v Arsenal could also fall into the same category. Only one of those was a walk-over.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's a cracking draw in general, some really tasty ties. I think there are six televised Tues which are likely to be the ones in bold.

Crystal Palace v Hartlepool United

Bournemouth v Boreham Wood

Huddersfield Town v Barnsley

Peterborough United v Queens Park Rangers

Cambridge United v Luton Town

Southampton v Coventry City

Chelsea v Plymouth Argyle

Everton v Brentford

Kidderminster Harriers v West Ham United

Manchester United/Aston Villa v Middlesbrough

Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton and Hove Albion

Liverpool v Cardiff City

Stoke City v Wigan Athletic

Nottingham Forest v Leicester City

Manchester City v Fulham

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Norwich City

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
One of my best mates is a Leeds fan and he was moaning about the offside decision. Another of my mates told him VAR was right and it descended into quite the discussion. This morning have have been in meetings where not much to say so looked closely at it. It is a staggeringly poor decision. I can’t compute how VAR made it.

The offside law includes

interfering with an opponent by:
preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
challenging an opponent for the ball or
clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

How on Earth could any referee not think that bowen was challenging Mes for the ball when he tried to poke it past him as he dived out? Not just that but him being there clearly changes Mes behaviour because he can’t dive full length at the ball because he runs the risk of giving a pen if Bowen does toe it past him but is caught.

Absolutely staggering decision.

I tried looking for other reasons such as it hitting the Leeds player but after that Vladic touches it and bowen is offside then too.

Incredible decision.

Has anyone seen an explanation arguing it was correct?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Pathetic watching VAR look at every possible incident to rule out a perfectly good goal for Villa at Old Trafford.

Eventually ruled out for the type of block that has been ignored time and time again this season.

I started watching the match wanting Utd to win because of the Biss bullshit but it’s the same old story with Utd being thoroughly looked after by the officials at home.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Pathetic watching VAR look at every possible incident to rule out a perfectly good goal for Villa at Old Trafford.

Eventually ruled out for the type of block that has been ignored time and time again this season.

I started watching the match wanting Utd to win because of the Biss bullshit but it’s the same old story with Utd being thoroughly looked after by the officials at home.

I don't think it was the block per se, rather the villa was originally in an offside position.

Nevertheless, the man utd chose to run into him when he wasn't in an offside position, so all fine IMO.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH I thought it came off his hand on first viewing, once it was clear it didn’t there was no problem as far as I’m concerned

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Typical big team cuddling from VAR. Looking at multiple incidents over and over trying desperately to find a reason to chalk it off.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
United are awful. How they haven’t conceded at least one goal is beyond me (other than VAR giving a helping hand)

They’ve given the ball away more tonight than we have done all season

Ps - BBC camera man isn’t doing much better

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Top stat from BBC coverage Man U have only kept 1 clean sheet in their last 19 home games (against Palace)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Rashford was in the papers the other day denying that he was in a sulk. But that's EXACTLY what he's been doing tonight. Playing at walking pace and his complete lack of interest in following up on Greenwood's shot was reminiscent of Leon Best at his leon worst. His head seems to be somewhere else. Very very odd

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Rashford was in the papers the other day denying that he was in a sulk. But that's EXACTLY what he's been doing tonight. Playing at walking pace and his complete lack of interest in following up on Greenwood's shot was reminiscent of Leon Best at his leon worst. His head seems to be somewhere else. Very very odd

Believe he was told to focus on his game. Saving the world is a full time job.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Have to say I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching cup games this weekend, been some terrific free to air matches and big clubs appear to be putting out decent sides in 3rd round for first time in ages. The giant killings are real. The footballs been exciting, only thing missing has been the crowds in some instances but that’s understandable and not because aren’t interested.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
ManU were shocking tonight, lucky to get through, the lack of quality for a club of that stature and the cost of that squad is unbelievable, maybe it wasn’t the manager after all…….

Jimmy Grimble

Does anyone know when the TV fixtures are likely to be announced?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here