Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The magic of the cup

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Personally I don't want the FA cup to become a glorified UCL qualifier.

The FA Cup is the far better competition. I for one will be f****** sick if we get knocked out by the Stokies

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I love the FA Cup and all it stands for. I hate what has happened to it.

Would be easy to get it back to the good old days:

1) Replays for every round
2) Champions League spot for the winner
3) FA Cup Final last game of EVERY SEASON, Saturday at 3pm
I never got replays really. I like the idea of finishing on the day. I think that is the appeal which may mean more interest and bigger attendances.

I always wheel my article about it out every year. I bloody love the Cup

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Every one of these teams is do-able IMHO apart from the one with Ginger Kev and Ugly Kid Haaland
Even they are do-able. They were patchy through Feb with a couple of draws and defeat vs Spurs.

But that's not the same thing as this trophy being there for the taking. It isn't.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
I don’t feel much magic for the cup, has mostly seemed the property of big clubs - the same 7 have won it every year since West Ham in 1980 (also the last non top flight club) apart from Leicester Pompey Wigan Wimbledon and Coventry. Not a lot of variety there in 42 years , I wonder what the fans of lower league teams actually want from the FA cup

All the times we were struggling in the lower leagues I never wanted a cup run and god forbid replays racking up games in hand.

Feels different now, this year because I feel we actually could beat anyone on our day with this current team , was gutted we lost to Charlton and will be gutted if we go out to Stoke.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Personally I don't want the FA cup to become a glorified UCL qualifier.

The FA Cup is the far better competition. I for one will be f****** sick if we get knocked out by the Stokies
Hopefully the Charlton result means we won’t be thinking we just need to turn up to win this time

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Love it but now we're competitive again it's even better. Anniversary of our 83 run although safe to say we won't be relegated this season.

We've got a great chance of reaching Wembley, Stoke will be a tough test of course.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Even they are do-able. They were patchy through Feb with a couple of draws and defeat vs Spurs.

But that's not the same thing as this trophy being there for the taking. It isn't.

Never said it was. Said a Cup Final appearance was there for the taking if we avoid Man City along the way. Which it is

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
That semi final defeat to Man City killed a lot of cup love for me. Sad that we were just so negative on the day, I would rather history had recorded we went down 6-0 putting up a fight rather than the limp performance we did put in. Also disappointed by how little it meant to Man City fans, who treated it as an expensive inconvenience.

If the Stoke game had been a Saturday, both sides would have been in a better position to fill the ground. I would have made the effort, whereas a Tuesday night on TV, is a ballache.

It also helps that the Carabao Cup Final was between two teams, who for their own reasons felt winning was important. There have been plenty of times over the last cuploe of decades, when Man Utd fans would have treated this is a minor sideshow and winning it an entitlement. the FA Cup does look quite open, so why not believe this could be our year.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
People have been saying that but it's pretty far from "there for the taking" in truth. It's not just City. Man Utd would be a sub optimal draw, and I really don't fancy Fulham or Spurs away either.
Agree. It's far from 'there for the taking'. We have a good chance of progressing to the next round, and that's as much as we can say at the moment.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Magic of the cup.. you have some hard fought games and go to a quarter and semi where some team sponsored with Arab blood money crush you before going on to win the whole thing, like they do every year. Pure magic.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It would be amazing to win a cup, especially the FA one. Then we could sing 'fukk all, you haven't fukk all' etc to that lot up the '23.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It became fashionable to denigrate the cup. Personally I have always loved it and if others don’t that’s their look out. Even more exciting this year as we have a chance of winning it for a change.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don’t feel much magic for the cup, has mostly seemed the property of big clubs - the same 7 have won it every year since West Ham in 1980 (also the last non top flight club) apart from Leicester Pompey Wigan Wimbledon and Coventry. Not a lot of variety there in 42 years , I wonder what the fans of lower league teams actually want from the FA cup

All the times we were struggling in the lower leagues I never wanted a cup run and god forbid replays racking up games in hand.

Feels different now, this year because I feel we actually could beat anyone on our day with this current team , was gutted we lost to Charlton and will be gutted if we go out to Stoke.
Big days out. I always looked forward to the cup draw when we were lower league. The excitement of the cup goes right down the pyramid to the qualifying rounds. It’s about as pure a football feeling as is possible whereas the league is all about the money.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
At my age I’d get quite excited about a big semi

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here