Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Madox bar Eindhoven

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Not sure if its been done before but does anybody remember the Madox bar in Eindhoven in the mid eighties when BHA were on a pre season tournament along with Ipswich Town and Standard Liege.

It was a good trip .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No but I do remember when we had decent pre-season friendlies.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Blimey, that's going back a bit. I've been in Eindhoven since 1989 and had never heard of the Maddox.

Having done a bit of checking on the address (Markt 8), it must have closed before I got there. That location was the Café Centraal by 1989, and it still is - one of my regular watering holes (even if they are taking the piss a bit with charging €5 for Chimay Blue).

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
was in Eindhoven in the mid 80's.
....with the cubs...we went to that big Phillips Evoulon museum mushroom thing and played a lot of volleyball as well as visiting the Dam Red Light district in our cub uniforms

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Ernest,were you in the bar when one bloke jumped over the bar and kissed the barmaid ? Next thing he was running out being chased by her boyfriend with a baseball bat and then threw it like a spear.I think that bar was either the Kangaroo bar or the Elephant bar,mind you the memory is not quite what it was.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Not sure if its been done before but does anybody remember the Madox bar in Eindhoven in the mid eighties when BHA were on a pre season tournament along with Ipswich Town and Standard Liege.

It was a good trip .

Yeah, 1982 I believe. Remember some friendly ITFC fans and some unfriendly Maluccans with knives. Stayed in a great hostel with full buffet breakfast. The things you remember. Was a student inter-railing on a budget heading to the Greek islands with the woman who became (and still is!) my missus.
PG

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Ernest,were you in the bar when one bloke jumped over the bar and kissed the barmaid ? Next thing he was running out being chased by her boyfriend with a baseball bat and then threw it like a spear.I think that bar was either the Kangaroo bar or the Elephant bar,mind you the memory is not quite what it was.

I did see an Albion fan, who used to be a regular 'face' at the Goldstone - dark hair, short, stocky, hunched back with a limp, being chased out of a Liverpool hotel by a bloke with a baseball bat when we played up there in the 2-2 cup draw in 1989/90 Season.

So you're an Albion fan Arfur even though your username is the main stand at Selhurst?!?!? ???

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Hard to believe it was 27 years ago.Ferry crossing and four days train travel in Holland all for £26.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Yup , remember that well. As well as when the Dutch coppers chasing us down the street and one ran straight into a lamp post.
They don't make away weekends like that anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here