Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The lull before the storm?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I wonder what the crowd would be today if there were no season tickets, with matchday tickets at £30+ ?

I think I would go (I've been to almost all our home games in the past 15 years), but I am by no means certain... 10-12,000 perhaps?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i am going but two mates and one of their sons who sit next to me are not and aren't on tuesday either - offered me their tickets but i can't give them away. i reckon its gonna be a low turnout today.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
For many of my nearly sixty years of going to the Albion the lead up to kick-off meant a knotted churning stomach in anticipation of what was to come. Even in the bad years I still couldn't wait for the next game. This season all of that tension has gone; it's a case of " oh well, I might as well go seeing as I've paid for my ticket". Lose today and I certainly don't bother with the hassle of getting to an evening game.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
For many of my nearly sixty years of going to the Albion the lead up to kick-off meant a knotted churning stomach in anticipation of what was to come. Even in the bad years I still couldn't wait for the next game. This season all of that tension has gone; it's a case of " oh well, I might as well go seeing as I've paid for my ticket". Lose today and I certainly don't bother with the hassle of getting to an evening game.

Even during the years in the mid 90s? I find that difficult to believe as there was an air of apathetic inevitability then.

When Lloyd was in his final years, after Brady left and then in Gillingham under Wood and Gritt the football was miserable and dire. I will never forget getting hammered at home by Torquay United at the Priestfield or even in McGhees relegation season?

If people are complaining now and saying it's worse now than those years then I'd suggest they weren't as loyal or hardcore fans as they are suggesting as the football on offer is still far far better than any of the periods I've mentioned above.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...If people are complaining now and saying it's worse now than those years then I'd suggest they weren't as loyal or hardcore fans as they are suggesting as the football on offer is still far far better than any of the periods I've mentioned above.

Perhaps it's not just about the football on offer?

Stumpy Tim

Normal day really. Don't get too excited until on the Park and Ride and we come round the bend on the A27 from Mill Road and the white temple that is the Amex comes into view. Get frustrated if the driver sticks in the right hand lane and doesn't go up the empty left lane on the slip road. Climb the stairs, pie and drink, watch game. Wait in P&R queue at end and then, by an hour later, life is back to normal, win lose or draw. Get home and wind up a few doom mongers on NSC who don't seem to have a life.

This is (apart from the pie bit) exactly what I do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even during the years in the mid 90s? I find that difficult to believe as there was an air of apathetic inevitability then.

When Lloyd was in his final years, after Brady left and then in Gillingham under Wood and Gritt the football was miserable and dire. I will never forget getting hammered at home by Torquay United at the Priestfield or even in McGhees relegation season?

If people are complaining now and saying it's worse now than those years then I'd suggest they weren't as loyal or hardcore fans as they are suggesting as the football on offer is still far far better than any of the periods I've mentioned above.
Alternatively we no longer have typical Albion fans.
Now we have typical football fans.

Expect to win every game, change everything when we don't.
Demand everything, give nothing.

Feb 14, 2010
Perhaps it's not just about the football on offer?

After everything that has happened in the last 30 years with the decline, sale of the goldstone, gillingham, Withdean, I think many people thought, at last, it must be our turn. With Tony Bloom replacing the goldstone, a natural fan base that is the envy of most in the country, what could go wrong? The answer? The team, as usual. Its part of being an Albion fan, its always the way, but it doesnt mean people have to be pleased about it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I thought it was opened his legs and showed everybody what he's got?

Edit just checked and you were quite right.
At Warwick races a couple of years ago, the race commentator uttered: "McCoy takes a glance between his legs, and likes what he sees".

Made me laugh at the time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh well time to go.

Whatever the result feel the love afterwards everyone

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I am looking forward to the game. Boris and I are setting off in about 20 minutes, bit concerned about the changing weather though - don't like leaving him out in the rain, it winds him right up.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Am on the train from smoky London, and I'm unquestionably thrilled. I predict a win and some good football thrown in for good measure. Lesdennisma might be exciting to see, hopefully his desire to offer us precisely nothing somewhat undone with the joy of donning the stripes. Hasn't been a year to remember the glory of, but it doesn't always have to be and is yet to be disastrous.
When the match ends I board a plane to Madrid again, and I intend to have a modicum of hope and relief injected into me by then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here