Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I saw Pavement at the Roundhouse a few weeks back. It was everything you could hope for. They started with Grounded - which was pretty spectacular - but then went straight into Gold Soundz, which was just perfect. If they ever do another reunion tour, I’m going to have to get tickets for every night as they change the set around so much. After that, I’m tempted to say that, for now, maybe Pavement are my all-time favourite band.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Last gig of the month for me is Working Men’s Club on Tuesday. Would also have seen Belle and Sebastian but that has been moved. Stereolab is sold out but couldn’t have gone anyway which is a real shame.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I saw Pavement at the Roundhouse a few weeks back. It was everything you could hope for. They started with Grounded - which was pretty spectacular - but then went straight into Gold Soundz, which was just perfect. If they ever do another reunion tour, I’m going to have to get tickets for every night as they change the set around so much. After that, I’m tempted to say that, for now, maybe Pavement are my all-time favourite band.
Never seen Pavement live- hopefully they will do something 2023.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Last gig of the month for me is Working Men’s Club on Tuesday. Would also have seen Belle and Sebastian but that has been moved. Stereolab is sold out but couldn’t have gone anyway which is a real shame.
I thought Working Men's Club were really, really good. Shame they ended so early (though it gave us the opportunity of an extra pint in the East Street Tap), but they were really powerful, and it feels like they could end up as something very special. I hadn't realised quite how young they are.

The vocals were not as loud as they should have been though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I thought Working Men's Club were really, really good. Shame they ended so early (though it gave us the opportunity of an extra pint in the East Street Tap), but they were really powerful, and it feels like they could end up as something very special. I hadn't realised quite how young they are.

Totally agree with you regarding the vocals- lead was drowned out for most of the time. Finishing the set with The Last One was also a poor decision as it was quite a flat way to end. Saw them at Komedia in July in front of a much smaller audience and that was better- even though they only played for an hour. Really enjoyed the DJ support from Cabaret Voltaire guy. Ten years older than I am- so some hope there!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Totally agree with you regarding the vocals- lead was drowned out for most of the time. Finishing the set with The Last One was also a poor decision as it was quite a flat way to end. Saw them at Komedia in July in front of a much smaller audience and that was better- even though they only played for an hour. Really enjoyed the DJ support from Cabaret Voltaire guy. Ten years older than I am- so some hope there!
Ha! Indeed, life in us old groomers yet.

‘Cut’ would have been the obvious set ender, I think. Definitely want to see more of them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been looking at the prices for some of the tickets packages for the new Metallica tour; eye watering. I remember the days when stadium tours used to be quite reasonably priced, south of 100 quid, just GA or a seat and maybe with a few bands on the bill to justify the extra price. Now there's all manner of different levels of ticket, inner ring, 'experience' etc and prices are well north of 100, some heading into the 1000s

I paid £4.50 to see them back in the day, using a cheque and a SAE.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A rare visit to the Brighton Centre tomorrow to see Bicep. They were a magnificent ending to Glastonbury weekend, and I am looking forward to seeing them again.

One of the few acts that suit the Centre.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Just been looking at the prices for some of the tickets packages for the new Metallica tour; eye watering. I remember the days when stadium tours used to be quite reasonably priced, south of 100 quid, just GA or a seat and maybe with a few bands on the bill to justify the extra price. Now there's all manner of different levels of ticket, inner ring, 'experience' etc and prices are well north of 100, some heading into the 1000s

I paid £4.50 to see them back in the day, using a cheque and a SAE.
What's the difference between buying a ticket and a ticket package ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's the difference between buying a ticket and a ticket package ?
It’s 223 euros for a regular “stand on the pitch” in Paris. This is for 2 nights though (you have to buy both nights of each date they’re playing). I guess this isn’t too bad. The packages jump in price though.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

At the extreme risk of sounding like even more of a dick than I am, they make me think about being better creatively, which is not something many bands do. Think there is a lot more to come from them and they are already an important band. See they are mates with Confidence Man – would be great if they toured together.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Off to annual From the Jam shindig tomorrow, this time at the Centre

Support from The Buzzcocks and Big Country

So Big Country without Stuart Adamson
The Buzzcocks minus Pete Shelley
The Jam without Paul Weller

Otherwise all good :D

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

They should merge and become The Bigcocks

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I went to see Ride at the Forum in Melbourne on Wednesday. They were, as ever magnificent. Never fail to disappoint, especially at such a brilliant venue.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

From the Jam were also without Bruce Foxton (sickness) :oops: so effectively None the Jam...

Think a refund should be in order but fancy the 2 chance scenario (fat and no) will apply

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Russell Hastings but he is the regular vocalist...

Some young guy who looked like he should be in Modern Romance stood in on the bass...

The Buzzcocks really were poor with Diggle doing the vocal now Pete no longer with us
Would have enjoyed Buzzcocks but not from what you say. Big Country I would have certainly avoided.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here