Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
CorgiRegisteredFriend;10 365221 said:
Anyone who is a fan of Black Midi will probably like Crack Cloud. Playing in Brighton in October.

Thanks for this, I have been listening to their Pain Olympics long player quite a lot since you posted this and it's superb. In short it's more clever and interesting take on the post-punk sound doing the rounds. Post Truth is a brilliant track which goes off in a few directions, and there's a track midway through with a brilliant guitar bridge or whatever it's called. I'm listening to it again; I'll update with the song title when I get to it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...it's called Tunnel Vision.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’m looking forward to Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan - stark nostalgic electronica. Plus Nilufer Yanya, Cassandra Jenkins, Alabaster Deplume, Automotion, Mandy Indiana (going in reverse order of relative obscurity). Plus whatever my kids want (Black Midi, Deathcrash, Anais Mitchell) and some of the big names too, primarily Pixies and Lucy Dacus.

Relatively quick summary of End of the Road from my point of view:

Had to miss Lucy Dacus - thought the kids had an inset day today, turns out they didn’t so needed to get them home. Black Midi put on quite a show - mixing it up, changing lyrics, etc as per usual, but pretty thunderous, amazing musicianship and a devoted crowd. WRNTDP were excellent. Also enjoyed The Umlauts. Alabaster Deplume was quite annoying - had to leave. Soccer Mommy very good. Mandy Indiana were not at all easy on the ears. Apollo Ghosts were undemanding and fun. Pigs x7 were the opposite. Tried to like Khruangbin, but just got bored with the length of the songs. Automation were excellent, if a little like a Black Country New Road tribute band. Nilufer Yanya not bad. Perfume Genius - some magical moments; Pixies - classic after classic, as expected. Mid set lull as they played newer songs, came back with a strong finish. Deathcrash did pretty well, winning some new admirers with their Slinty post rock and cleaned up on the merch front. Cassandra Jenkins also very good. If only EOTR allowed you to get a mobile signal - might then be able to see their tweets about what’s going on. Weather just about held up. Food quite nice, if a little pricey, but that’s festivals for you. So, another pleasant EOTR. Would really like to try Green Man some time, but tickets aren’t easy to get unless you commit before knowing who’s on the bill, which I’m reluctant to do, but we’ll see. Anybody else at EOTR this year?

Yes, and we paid attention to your tips, so thanks for those.
WRNTDP were indeed excellent, and one of my partner's highlights.
Our son agreed with you about Alexander De Plume, but we stuck around and enjoyed it, but understand that he grates.
Automotion were OK, but wouldn't go too much further than that.

As to the rest:
-- in full agrrement about Khruangbin, the first few songs sounded great and their gliding around the stage also worked, but it just got tiresome
-- Porridge Radio played a storming set on the delightful Garden Stage
-- The Pixies exceeded my expectations and played some of my faves early on (Gouge Away, Isla d'Encanta, Caribou). Agree it dipped somewhat, but amazing to see 3 of them still there and they've got quite a catalogue to draw on, remain exceptional live and Black Francis still has it
-- we left early on Sunday, but not before seeing the first three acts on the main stage (Woods) which, collectively, was probably the highlight: The Bug Club, the utter delight that is Ural Thomas and BCUC
The boy liked Steam Down, and there's probably a few other acts that warrant a mention, but that'll do for now. Beforehand, I was underwhelmed by the line-up, but we came out the other side more impressed.
I think the food is really good, and better value than you given the circumstances, and the site is great.
Green Man has a very similar vibe if an even more delightful setting. Their line-up this year was amazing, although it tends to rain there. I get what you're saying about booking when the line-ups are clearer.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Yes, and we paid attention to your tips, so thanks for those.
Our son agreed with you about Alexander De Plume, but we stuck around and enjoyed it, but understand that he grates.
Automotion were OK, but wouldn't go too much further than that.

As to the rest:
-- in full agrrement about Khruangbin, the first few songs sounded great and their gliding around the stage also worked, but it just got tiresome
-- Porridge Radio played a storming set on the delightful Garden Stage
-- The Pixies exceeded my expectations and played some of my faves early on (Gouge Away, Isla d'Encanta, Caribou). Agree it dipped somewhat, but amazing to see 3 of them still there and they've got quite a catalogue to draw on, remain exceptional live and Black Francis still has it
-- we left early on Sunday, but not before seeing the first three acts on the main stage (Woods) which, collectively, was probably the highlight: The Bug Club, the utter delight that is Ural Thomas and BCUC
The boy liked Steam Down, and there's probably a few other acts that warrant a mention, but that'll do for now. Beforehand, I was underwhelmed by the line-up, but we came out the other side more impressed.
I think the food is really good, and better value than you given the circumstances, and the site is great.
Green Man has a very similar vibe if an even more delightful setting. Their line-up this year was amazing, although it tends to rain there. I get what you're saying about booking when the line-ups are clearer.

Thanks for your thoughts. I heard BCUC from afar - sounded like a good refreshing Sunday sound. I do think EOTR has the best food of the festivals I’ve been to, although they’ve lost one or two of my former favourite stalls. At least Happy Maki is still there as a good lunch option. Boys loved the rendang. Most missed is surely Andy Loos - the toilets are getting worse every year.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Our son agreed with you about Alexander De Plume.

If you’re interested in the forthcoming WRNTDP album, you need to be quick - he only releases in ridiculously small quantities. If you miss out, scalpers on Discogs charge crazy prices. Re A De P: my eldest son was the driving force behind our leaving - he hated it and said he was leaving, even if we were staying. When I suggested the healing area for him to calm down, he wasn’t receptive :(

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Soul Asylum return to the UK for the first time in 30 years! I have waited a long time for this one. Ticket snapped up!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tonight ended a run of 9 gigs in 15 days and it ended, after watching the game with [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION], with what I feel is the best Hot Chip show I have seen….and I think I’ve seen them around 10 times now. They were on fire and the crowd were in a friendly up-for-it party mood dancing from the off. All good.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Wolfgang Flur on Saturday @ the Conc 2...

Very enjoyable from the ex Krafty werker tho more Fatboy slim than Europe Endless...

Highlight for me was opening Brighton duo 'Anzahlung'...Like a Suicide/Fad Gadget mash-up absolutely loved them

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The utterly delightful Peaness at the Green Door Store tomorrow. Looking forward to that one.

Saw local dystopian metal band Tribe of Ghosts play their debut headline show at the Hope & Ruin last week, utterly superb.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Tonight ended a run of 9 gigs in 15 days and it ended, after watching the game with [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION], with what I feel is the best Hot Chip show I have seen….and I think I’ve seen them around 10 times now. They were on fire and the crowd were in a friendly up-for-it party mood dancing from the off. All good.

I saw them last Saturday and would agree it’s the best I’ve seen them in what must be a similar amount of gigs. Also helped by a special guest appearance by Jarvis Cocker

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Not sure if they've been mentioned before on here, but I HIGHLY recommend Yard Act if anybody gets the chance.

Playing the Chalk on the 30th November, currently sold out but tickets for these things normally pop up if you keep an eye out for them.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Saw them in August for the first time ever. Sounds a very similar experience to yours- audience were well up for and it was very loud.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Saw Hot Chip at Chalk last month on the Resident Records outstore thing and they were excellent

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
After the match you will catch me possibly wreckin at the Albert....

Or not, I got out of breath after two songs last time, and had to go and sit outside to nurse my bruises and catch my breath. :lolol:

Tonight @ The Prince Albert
Brighton's own Long Tall Texans & young Rockabilly upstarts (below) Red Hot Riot who had a great Glastonbury with Bez and various other starts catching their act.

https://youtu.be/a8SHl8qfDCw

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Anyone popping along to Morrissey tonight ?

Apparently he is back on form, however he always seems to do a rather flat show in Brighton, but I put that down to the audience, being there just to say they have seen him, rather than actually being a fan.

Am I wrong ?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Saw Life last Tuesday at Patterns. Really enjoyed the support band Slant who I believe are Brighton based. Very pleasant on the eye- if you allowed to say that these days! Life played mostly from the last two albums. Lead singer is a bit of a character with some rather interesting dance moves. Catch em if you can.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Just come back from Gilla Band at Chalk. Probably up there with the best gigs I’ve seen this year. An attack on the senses, the sound was literally shaking the foundations of the building.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Saw Life last Tuesday at Patterns. Really enjoyed the support band Slant who I believe are Brighton based. Very pleasant on the eye- if you allowed to say that these days! Life played mostly from the last two albums. Lead singer is a bit of a character with some rather interesting dance moves. Catch em if you can.
I was at this. Pretty good, if a bit formulaic post-punk, I thought.

I missed the support, unfortunately.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Just come back from Gilla Band at Chalk. Probably up there with the best gigs I’ve seen this year. An attack on the senses, the sound was literally shaking the foundations of the building.
Then I would watch out for your ears...... I went to many gigs in small venues in my 20s and 30s including early doors of the Great Escape and got some tinnitus from it - I remember the exact gig when my left ear went wrong, Gang of Four. Ringing in your ears after may be a sign of damaged hairs in your ears dying, never to be replaced. If I could turn back time....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here