Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Rockaway Beach was a great little festival, with about 6000 people, with the Centre stage holding just under that I believe. On the smaller Red stage most bands get just over 30 minutes, so it's like a live sampler. With the last band and bands on the centre stage doing full sets.

I got to see 27 Bands in a weekend, went to a brilliant silent disco, went tenpin bowling, saw the end of ,Stop making Sense, and 'The Shining' on the big scrren, saw the end of a pub quiz and saw some DJ’s in action.

FRIDAY - REDS STAGE

16.00: INDIAN QUEENS - Solid start and first of many women guitarists rocking out both venues.
17.00: BELLATRIX - Sounded like Bjork at times and did some incredible beatboxing at the end of the set.
18.00: TRUPA TRUPA - From Gdańsk and describing their music as very simple, I thought they were fantastic, great surging guitars and repetitive lyrics, I will definitely seek them out again when they play a longer set.
19.00: YOUNG KNIVES - They were great, but reminded me of a prog rock Beta Band, took ages to set up and never seemed happy with the technicals. However, had a new second drummer who was very good and at one stage played portable drum pads, redesigned as fruit machine cherries. How can you not like a band with cherry drum pads?

FRIDAY - CENTRE STAGE

20.30: BLACK COUNTRY, NEW ROAD - I was not sold on them prior to this, but have to say they were very impressive live, and there are a lot of them. Crowd loved them as well.
21.30: SOAK - Bridie Monds-Watson and her band are extremely tight knit, and look and sound as if they should be touring big, packed-out venues. Guitarist overpowered the vocals at times.
23.00: JOHN CALE - One of my favourite gigs of the weekend. He did a live interview in the afternoon and talked of how he challenged the band to embrace mistakes and improvise. Did a great version of I’m Waiting for the Man. His guitarist was amazing, no idea who he was.
01.00: PRINCESTEEN - How to make a drunk festival crowd happy. Band plays one Prince song followed by a Springsteen song and repeat. Separates the crowd into to two crazed mobs quite quickly.

SATURDAY - REDS STAGE

12.00: PAGANS S.O.H. - Excellent, and remind me of a blend of hip hop, Galliano and the Stone Roses (although guitarist was wearing a West Brom shirt).
13.00: SCROUNGE - Starve was one of my tracks of 2019. The high octane, feedback drum heavy duo did not disappoint. Will definitely be seeing them again.
14.00: PENELOPE ISLES - Brilliant set from the Brighton band. They rocked out, then kept on going through the weekend, from record signings to the silent disco, you can’t keep a great band down. Would definitely see again.
15.00: RASCALTON - Remind me of early Jam, early Ruts. Four Glaswegians with attitude, rocked out while wearing Loafers and Fred Perrys.
16.00: THE SWEET RELEASE OF DEATH - The only band I missed, however like Penelope Isles, they were out at everything I went to over the weekend. Did they even sleep?
17.00: OUR GIRL - Very enjoyable, very slick band, great guitarist and sound, would seek out again.
18.00: SELF ESTEEM - Hmm odd pick. I liked the song she did with Django Django, but she sang to a backing track, with synchronised dancers, felt like she had turned up to the wrong festival. Sadly a lot of people including me departed early. Good voice.

SATURDAY - CENTRE STAGE

19.30: PETER PERRETT - Solid start, felt the most Butlin’s performance of the weekend, slow, melodic, enjoyable, played Another Girl Another Planet and the place went mad for it. Finished with a great Velvet Underground cover of What Goes On.
21.00: NOVA TWINS - I said I would never buy a record of theirs, but they tore the place down with their metal insanity. Ear drum bashing, crowd jumping, full-on rock, bonkers to watch.
22.15: THE JESUS & MARY CHAIN - Brilliant, slick, 19-song setlist with a break so they could go and have a cup of tea, ROCK ’N’ ROLL.

SUNDAY - REDS STAGE

12.00: ADWAITH - One of my favourite bands of last year, they didn’t disappoint. Loved it when they explained that ‘Lipstick Coch’, the first single I bought of theirs, was about Gwen the bass player going on a date with a lad she described as fit while wearing red lipstick. I would love to see them again, although they said their next concert was at a Siberian music festival.
13.00: EYESORE & THE JINX - The Fall meet Half Man Half Biscuit at a Pyschobilly gig. I like them in small doses at the moment, but they could be a grower.
14.00: THE VEGAN LEATHER - Really liked this mob from Scotland, drove down from Glasgow in 12 hours and went straight back. Art pop, rock, driving beats and lots of energy. I would try and catch them again for a longer set, playing Brighton on 24th Jan.
15.00: LIFE - Possibly the set of the festival, the only time this venue was completely packed. Great presence, great energy, in your face and they give the IDLES a run for their money. I dabbled with their last album and will both revisit it and will definitely catch them again. The band went ten pin bowling after the set.
16.00: MELYS - Brilliant, started by saying hello we are from Wales and from the ’90s. Really good set, very polished performance and two homages to John Peel, saying the festive 50 still means something to them.
17.00: HEAVY LUNGS – heavy noise and set, I always want to like them more, but they lost out to LIFE in my book.
18.15: INTERNATIONAL TEACHERS OF POP - fun energy, electric driven pop.

SUNDAY - CENTRE STAGE

19.15: BRIX & THE EXTRICATED - Two fall tracks, great stage presence from Brix and good band with both Hanley’s from the Fall.
20.30: THE WEDDING PRESENT - Great set, great rapport with the crowd, really good set, with a middle aged mosh pit prior to the real thing.
22.00: FONTAINES D.C. - Worth the weekend’s fee alone. Album of last year, what tension and a dark and light set. They said two things during the set: ‘Thanks’ and ‘This is the last song, we don’t do encores.’ Loved it, the only way is up for the Fontaines.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Rockaway Beach was a great little festival, with about 6000 people, with the Centre stage holding just under that I believe. On the smaller Red stage most bands get just over 30 minutes, so it's like a live sampler. With the last band and bands on the centre stage doing full sets.

I got to see 27 Bands in a weekend, went to a brilliant silent disco, went tenpin bowling, saw the end of ,Stop making Sense, and 'The Shining' on the big scrren, saw the end of a pub quiz and saw some DJ’s in action.

FRIDAY - REDS STAGE

16.00: INDIAN QUEENS - Solid start and first of many women guitarists rocking out both venues.
17.00: BELLATRIX - Sounded like Bjork at times and did some incredible beatboxing at the end of the set.
18.00: TRUPA TRUPA - From Gdańsk and describing their music as very simple, I thought they were fantastic, great surging guitars and repetitive lyrics, I will definitely seek them out again when they play a longer set.
19.00: YOUNG KNIVES - They were great, but reminded me of a prog rock Beta Band, took ages to set up and never seemed happy with the technicals. However, had a new second drummer who was very good and at one stage played portable drum pads, redesigned as fruit machine cherries. How can you not like a band with cherry drum pads?

FRIDAY - CENTRE STAGE

20.30: BLACK COUNTRY, NEW ROAD - I was not sold on them prior to this, but have to say they were very impressive live, and there are a lot of them. Crowd loved them as well.
21.30: SOAK - Bridie Monds-Watson and her band are extremely tight knit, and look and sound as if they should be touring big, packed-out venues. Guitarist overpowered the vocals at times.
23.00: JOHN CALE - One of my favourite gigs of the weekend. He did a live interview in the afternoon and talked of how he challenged the band to embrace mistakes and improvise. Did a great version of I’m Waiting for the Man. His guitarist was amazing, no idea who he was.
01.00: PRINCESTEEN - How to make a drunk festival crowd happy. Band plays one Prince song followed by a Springsteen song and repeat. Separates the crowd into to two crazed mobs quite quickly.

SATURDAY - REDS STAGE

12.00: PAGANS S.O.H. - Excellent, and remind me of a blend of hip hop, Galliano and the Stone Roses (although guitarist was wearing a West Brom shirt).
13.00: SCROUNGE - Starve was one of my tracks of 2019. The high octane, feedback drum heavy duo did not disappoint. Will definitely be seeing them again.
14.00: PENELOPE ISLES - Brilliant set from the Brighton band. They rocked out, then kept on going through the weekend, from record signings to the silent disco, you can’t keep a great band down. Would definitely see again.
15.00: RASCALTON - Remind me of early Jam, early Ruts. Four Glaswegians with attitude, rocked out while wearing Loafers and Fred Perrys.
16.00: THE SWEET RELEASE OF DEATH - The only band I missed, however like Penelope Isles, they were out at everything I went to over the weekend. Did they even sleep?
17.00: OUR GIRL - Very enjoyable, very slick band, great guitarist and sound, would seek out again.
18.00: SELF ESTEEM - Hmm odd pick. I liked the song she did with Django Django, but she sang to a backing track, with synchronised dancers, felt like she had turned up to the wrong festival. Sadly a lot of people including me departed early. Good voice.

SATURDAY - CENTRE STAGE

19.30: PETER PERRETT - Solid start, felt the most Butlin’s performance of the weekend, slow, melodic, enjoyable, played Another Girl Another Planet and the place went mad for it. Finished with a great Velvet Underground cover of What Goes On.
21.00: NOVA TWINS - I said I would never buy a record of theirs, but they tore the place down with their metal insanity. Ear drum bashing, crowd jumping, full-on rock, bonkers to watch.
22.15: THE JESUS & MARY CHAIN - Brilliant, slick, 19-song setlist with a break so they could go and have a cup of tea, ROCK ’N’ ROLL.

SUNDAY - REDS STAGE

12.00: ADWAITH - One of my favourite bands of last year, they didn’t disappoint. Loved it when they explained that ‘Lipstick Coch’, the first single I bought of theirs, was about Gwen the bass player going on a date with a lad she described as fit while wearing red lipstick. I would love to see them again, although they said their next concert was at a Siberian music festival.
13.00: EYESORE & THE JINX - The Fall meet Half Man Half Biscuit at a Pyschobilly gig. I like them in small doses at the moment, but they could be a grower.
14.00: THE VEGAN LEATHER - Really liked this mob from Scotland, drove down from Glasgow in 12 hours and went straight back. Art pop, rock, driving beats and lots of energy. I would try and catch them again for a longer set, playing Brighton on 24th Jan.
15.00: LIFE - Possibly the set of the festival, the only time this venue was completely packed. Great presence, great energy, in your face and they give the IDLES a run for their money. I dabbled with their last album and will both revisit it and will definitely catch them again. The band went ten pin bowling after the set.
16.00: MELYS - Brilliant, started by saying hello we are from Wales and from the ’90s. Really good set, very polished performance and two homages to John Peel, saying the festive 50 still means something to them.
17.00: HEAVY LUNGS – heavy noise and set, I always want to like them more, but they lost out to LIFE in my book.
18.15: INTERNATIONAL TEACHERS OF POP - fun energy, electric driven pop.

SUNDAY - CENTRE STAGE

19.15: BRIX & THE EXTRICATED - Two fall tracks, great stage presence from Brix and good band with both Hanley’s from the Fall.
20.30: THE WEDDING PRESENT - Great set, great rapport with the crowd, really good set, with a middle aged mosh pit prior to the real thing.
22.00: FONTAINES D.C. - Worth the weekend’s fee alone. Album of last year, what tension and a dark and light set. They said two things during the set: ‘Thanks’ and ‘This is the last song, we don’t do encores.’ Loved it, the only way is up for the Fontaines.

Great summary. The Sunday night centre stage line up particularly strong and one of only a few Wedding Present dates this year. I’ve a few friends who have been to this festival before and raved about it. Perfect antidote to post Christmas blues.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Great summary. The Sunday night centre stage line up particularly strong and one of only a few Wedding Present dates this year. I’ve a few friends who have been to this festival before and raved about it. Perfect antidote to post Christmas blues.

David Gedge said he had just been stuck in front of the The TV over Xmas and New Year. Said that Playing the festival felt like Christmas Day and that Colchester the following night felt like it would be Boxing Day.

They had the guitarist from Sleeper and the drummer from My Life Story with Melanie Howard on Bass.

He was plugging his festival at the Concorde, would be tempted to go if they play like that again. Really good set and really together.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
David Gedge said he had just been stuck in front of the The TV over Xmas and New Year. Said that Playing the festival felt like Christmas Day and that Colchester the following night felt like it would be Boxing Day.

They had the guitarist from Sleeper and the drummer from My Life Story with Melanie Howard on Bass.

He was plugging his festival at the Concorde, would be tempted to go if they play like that again. Really good set and really together.

If you go on the Saturday The Primatives are playing as are Such Small Hands which is Melanie Howard. It’s always a great weekend usually coinciding with the start day of the football season which means missing daytime stuff or maybe not depending on your inclination.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's already been a decent month for gigs so far but I still have bunch of belters coming up next week. The BellRays at the Albert on Saturday (where have this band been all my life!), Black Honey @ the Green Door weds, Peaness @ The Albert Thursday and finishing up with Beans on Toast @ Chalk Friday.

The January blues have been well and truly rocked away this year.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Haven't been to a live gig in years but looking forward to Wilco here in one of Mexico City's more intimate scenes on Saturday night

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Saw Caravan Palace at the De La Warr on Tuesday night. Not my normal cup of tea, more the wife's, but in fairness they were bloody good. Electro-swing they call it apparently!!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not a gig, but a musical. Mrs Earle bought me tickets for Christmas for The Girl from the North Country. Wonderful show featuring the songs of Bob Dylan to drive the narrative of the play using only instruments available in the 1930's. It was a short London run which finished last Saturday, but worth catching next time round.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Never heard of the Interrupters until last week but saw them at the O2 Academy in Leeds last Saturday and they were terrific. Great fun from start to finish.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I went to see Algiers for the 4th or 5th time last night at Chalk. They were soulful,energetic and tight, the usual brilliant performance live.

But God, it was loud. Far too loud. I have had tinnitus for most of the day.

Time to buy some of those groovy fluorescent earplugs.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Felice Brothers tomorrow Hove Market. Sd be ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAuObu_3LGk

And how were they? Forgot about this show but I have been lucky enough to see them in the earlier days (100 Club in London being my favourite). Do prefer their stuff with Simone. Still have a local made screenprint of their gig at The Haunt hanging on my wall. I was a big fan but haven't really listened much to their recent stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to see Algiers for the 4th or 5th time last night at Chalk. They were soulful,energetic and tight, the usual brilliant performance live.

It’s a quarter past 2.

Jul 7, 2003

I have had to resort to earplugs in recent years as I found the tinnitus after gigs getting worse. If you buy the musicians ones, they help filter out the worst of the noise while still being able to hear the music properly rather than just dulling everything.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

They have plenty earplugs behind the bar at Chalk. I’ve not had that tinnitus feeling for a while now which could be because I’ve reached a threshold and become immune to the noise or as I suspect venues are turning everything down a notch in fear of reprisals. I do swear my eardrum went completely once during a Mogwai sonic boom a few years back.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Isobel Campbell @ The Komedia this evening...

More Vashti Bunyan than Belle and Sebastian but hey, that's ok...

'They told me to talk' summed up her interaction with the ,amazingly for the Komedia, hushed audience...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here