Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
We have a four berth for just the two of us (Jesus and Mary Chain song already - unless a friend comes over from Seattle) my middle age spread needs some room.

Looking forward to it, Fontaines D.C., Scrounge, Heavy Lung and Adwaith, should be good.

Did anyone else go to the Jesus and Mary Chain gig at the Pavilion Theatre in the early eighties, drummer and bass guitarist (one may have been Bobby Gillespie) had a couple of massive blood gushing fights with protagonists in the audience. They played about 4 songs before a Councillor accompanied by the police closed the gig down and herded us all out.

I really don’t know how I missed this but remember the coverage well. It was my second year in Brighton studying at the then polytechnic and was watching several bands each week. Maybe it sold out too quick. I looked up the set list out of interest which made up of:
In A Hole
Vegetable Man (Floyd cover)
You Trip Me Up
Ambition (Subway Sect cover)
Taste The Floor during which the plug was pulled.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Young Knives :) if I had any mates I'd go just for them

That’s a blast from the past. I had dinner with a mate of theirs, their former tour manager, last night. He also briefly stood in when the bassist THoL took some time off.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
That’s a blast from the past. I had dinner with a mate of theirs, their former tour manager, last night. He also briefly stood in when the bassist THoL took some time off.

Saw them play a few times. They had some great tunes and were quite funny too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I really don’t know how I missed this but remember the coverage well. It was my second year in Brighton studying at the then polytechnic and was watching several bands each week. Maybe it sold out too quick. I looked up the set list out of interest which made up of:
In A Hole
Vegetable Man (Floyd cover)
You Trip Me Up
Ambition (Subway Sect cover)
Taste The Floor during which the plug was pulled.

I do not remember it being over full, I think I had not long got the never understand 12'' and John Peel was playing this a lot. Remember the week/month or so before, the NME reporting on another gig they did that really kicked off as well. May have been around that time when Dead Kennedys were doing the Nazi Punks **** off stuff. Some of the crowd were definitely up for a fight, and the Jesus and Mary Chain just got in first and quickly. The only other gig as short in my mind was PIL at the top rank, but my memory was that lasted about 7 songs.

More over I wonder if they were paid, I certainly do not remember getting any money back, although it may have been when I was working for Subway Records and was automatically put on most of the Brighton venues guest lists, as we sold tickets for most stuff bar the Brighton centre.

Jul 7, 2003
Saw David Ford at the Ropetackle last night. He is an Eastbourne lad who started out in an indy band called Easyworld before going out on his own as a singer songwriter.

He was doing the looping pedal stuff long before Ed Sheerin and is an absolute master of this. He plays loads of instruments and last night he set up loops from up to 10 different instruments at a time to be a complete one man band while singing his songs. Quite self depreciating and entertaining between songs and even gave the Albion a mention in one of his songs about how different his life could have been.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Moon Duo were pretty good.

don't go to many gigs

enjoyed it, but it wasn't Guided By Voices or Kristin Hersh.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just off to see Warmduscher at Chalk. Looking forward to it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Saw Loyle Carner at The Dome tonight. He was brilliant, and the atmosphere was spine tingling. Just such an enormous talent. He was good at The Concorde earlier this year, but this was something else.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Yonaka put on an excellent show at Concorde 2 last night. Ears still ringing in that satisfying post-gig way. Excellent support act in Zuzu too.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Warmduscher were great last night. One hour of material mainly taken from new and second albums. Nice and noisy with a couple of the slower songs thrown in. Surprised they did an encore as less bands seem to do them these days. And rightly so. Anyone not been to Chalk then get along. Great view of stage in comparison to what was there before and yes- better toilets! Looks like they are still working on sections and potential to increase size further.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Saw Loyle Carner at The Dome tonight. He was brilliant, and the atmosphere was spine tingling. Just such an enormous talent. He was good at The Concorde earlier this year, but this was something else.

Did wonder what was going on at Dome last night. We headed to Wagon and Horses after Warmduscher and everyone was coming in looking like they had enjoyed whatever it was. And now I know.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Saw Caspar Brotzmann Massaker last night at Oslo in Hackney.

Great to see him after so many years away. He performed the ‘hits’ in front of a surprisingly small but appreciative crowd.
First time at this venue and was very impressed. Massaker is a very noisy 3 piece but the PA coped well.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Warmduscher were great last night. One hour of material mainly taken from new and second albums. Nice and noisy with a couple of the slower songs thrown in. Surprised they did an encore as less bands seem to do them these days. And rightly so. Anyone not been to Chalk then get along. Great view of stage in comparison to what was there before and yes- better toilets! Looks like they are still working on sections and potential to increase size further.

How have they changed it?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
How have they changed it?

Much larger stage which is higher. You can get a decent view pretty much anywhere inside.
Larger capacity which I believe can be altered between 350 and 850 depending on popularity of band.
Air conditioning- not as hot as Haunt sometimes got.
And of course, better toilets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here