Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Road bus lane/traffic congestion

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Tonight will be a good test, its getting dark, its wet and everyone will be rushing home for the weekend, hope people have the sense to put lights on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The amount of times I've waved down cars to put their lights on. You would have thought with todays technology they'd be beeped at when it's dark or something.

The joys of having auto lights !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It was all three main political parties in Brighton and Hove who voted for it on the planning committee.

Agreed. I guess what I was pointing out was that the Tories started the process and the Greens got it built. Labour did indeed support it.

Don't have to use it myself (I don't own a car or a bike and usually walk in Brighton) but a friend of ours lives just off Lewes Road near the Bugle and is based at Brighton University. Her commute has trebled in time, so she now goes the long way and uses Ditchling Road.

This is a genuine question about your friend. Is there any reason why she couldn't walk if she's based at Mithras House or get the bus if she's based at Falmer? Surely they are the easiest options?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agreed. I guess what I was pointing out was that the Tories started the process and the Greens got it built. Labour did indeed support it.

The simple point is, for those who want to score political points from this, there's (literally) no point. They're all in favour of it. So, depending on your point of view, you can blame / credit everyone. Myself, I'll go for credit, for the most part, though I'm still scratching my head about the OSR one, unless its part of a grander scheme / network that hasn't been completed yet.

Regarding the new cycle lanes in Brighton & Hove (I guess this is a continuation of the LSTF money), I'd like to see the city centre ones, especially in Valley Gardens / Victoria Gardens, improved and made more obvious (different colour tarmac?)

Once the next phase of the scheme (improvements to the Vogue gyratory and other junction improvements, city centre-side of the Vogue) is completed, things will improve. You, like me, seem to think that the congestion is currently caused by the inadequacy of the gyratory.

Ideas for improvements to the Vogue Gyratory:

1. Move Sainsbury's to land earmarked for housing at Preston Barracks site.
2. Build new housing on Sainsbury's site at Vogue Gyratory.
3. Move BP petrol station to land earmarked for housing at Preston Barracks site.
4. Build new housing on BP petrol station site at Vogue Gyratory.
5. Make it a pre-requisite that any homeowner on new housing in Vogue Gyratory can only have a maximum of one car.
6. Reinstate two way traffic on the Lewes Road to the east of the current BP petrol station site.
7. Traffic lights at junction of Lewes Road and Upper Lewes Road so traffic travelling west can turn right into Upper Lewes Road.
8. Roundabout at junction of Lewes Road/Bear Road/Hollingdean Road.

Prepares to be shot down in flames!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This is a genuine question about your friend. Is there any reason why she couldn't walk if she's based at Mithras House or get the bus if she's based at Falmer? Surely they are the easiest options?
See post #70 (Husty asked the same question). You're lucky I saw your question, I opened this thread by accident as I'd given up on it as it had ceased to become a discussion about transport and had become another tedious "Cyclists are worse than drivers! No they're not!" binfest.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I drive into Brighton most mornings for work - for a week I thought I'd keep a note of all the cyclists I saw break traffic laws versus ones I saw that didn't. Not very scientific I know but 72% of the cyclists I saw / passed carried out some sort of illegal act. So yes, in my experiment, a majority.

That seems like a lot of effort when you have the road to concentrate using

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
And pedestrians always wait for the red man to turn green?

So that's pedestrians and bikes that ignore the lights.
To even it up and make it a even playing field maybe the council should do away with the traffic lights altogether if no ones is going to take any notice of them?
In fact has anyone notice that traffic actually flows better when traffic lights fail?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It makes no sense. The congestion around BP/sainsburys area now is atrocious, all the roads that lead into that junction now are always gridlocked, they've made everything worse, the bus lane makes no sense anyway because the traffic caused by the congestion slows the busses down anyway and I was under the impression this whole thing was to get more people on public transport. It's abysmal. I haven't heard anyone yet who thinks its had a positive impact on travel time.

It makes no sense. The congestion around BP/sainsburys area now is atrocious, all the roads that lead into that junction now are always gridlocked, they've made everything worse, the bus lane makes no sense anyway because the traffic caused by the congestion slows the busses down anyway and I was under the impression this whole thing was to get more people on public transport. It's abysmal. I haven't heard anyone yet who thinks its had a positive impact on travel time.
Improvements that I've noticed and that have benefited me:-

As a regular bus user, it certainly speeds up my travel times. There are more bus shelters, with better seats and better bus information. As an operator of minibuses that can use the bus lanes, the scheme has improved our journey times and, more importantly, reliability. And, as a pedestrian, there are improved facilities (such as the heavily used new pedestrian crossing between Queensdown School Road and The Avenue). And there is significantly less conflict with cyclists.

I agree, though, that the Vogue gyratory (BP/Sainsburys) needs sorting out. Work on doing that phase of the scheme will, I understand, start soon.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

I agree, though, that the Vogue gyratory (BP/Sainsburys) needs sorting out. Work on doing that phase of the scheme will, I understand, start soon.

What are the changes being made to that area? Is there a link online to show al the amendments?

See post #70 (Husty asked the same question). You're lucky I saw your question, I opened this thread by accident as I'd given up on it as it had ceased to become a discussion about transport and had become another tedious "Cyclists are worse than drivers! No they're not!" binfest.

Yes I saw post 70 not long after I posted my question! Agree it has become a bit of a binfest.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
And pedestrians always wait for the red man to turn green?

Pedestrians don't have to. There's (rightly) no requirement to only cross the road on a pedestrian crossing. Pedestrians are more than allowed to cross wherever they like. Everyone on the road has a duty of care to others and as such should not try to mow people down, and should give more vulnerable road users the space they need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here