Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Road bus lane/traffic congestion

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
most areas being 20mph is more annoying than the lewes road for me, and the lewes road is a ****ing nuisance

To be honest I was being pedantic. However you raise a good point. As an occasional visitor to central Brighton and Hove I am a little confused as to which roads are limited to 20 and which are not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I drive into Brighton most mornings for work - for a week I thought I'd keep a note of all the cyclists I saw break traffic laws versus ones I saw that didn't. Not very scientific I know but 72% of the cyclists I saw / passed carried out some sort of illegal act. So yes, in my experiment, a majority.

I was challenged as to why I think people in the UK are petty a few weeks ago. This post is a perfect example.

Back on topic, car drivers can be a very very strange (not to mention aggressive and impatient) breed.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
As mainly a cyclist who cycles along the Lewis Road daily ( I do drive a car as well) the cycle lane seems well planned and most importantly safe. Before the cycle lane was widened (allowing you to safely overtake another cyclist) and separated from the bus lane it felt very dangerous in parts. I always travel to the Amex with my son on our bikes and it was actually frightening to witness how vulnerable he was as a cyclist especially without the experience you gain from being a regular road user. I found a lot of bus/car drivers giving him no extra space or consideration even though it was obvious he was a child. Now he feels a lot better

I can sympathise with what the greens are trying to do which is change the culture. The amount of university students that are still using their cars to access the two universities I find amazing where I feel many are able bodied enough to look at alternative transport. At the same time if I had to use my car on a daily basis I am sure I would feel the anger than some on here demonstrate. I guess it's about finding the balance for all transport users including the often forgotten pedestrian

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I call rollox on that. Show the spreadsheet.

Strangely it doesn't require a speadsheet to work this out ! No, I counted in my head and then marked down the two sets of numbers when stopped at a junction. I didn't even need a spreadsheet to work out the percentage. Think what you like, it is true and the only reason I did it was because I see and hear so many people claim that it's only a small minority of cyclists that break the law.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I was totally p!*sed off when the Lewes Road scheme was announced. Living in Bevendean and working in London road, often finishing late I use my car because it is convenient ( and a darnsight qicker than the bus service). Since the bus lane went live all I do is leave ten minutes earlier than normal, this is how long I find that it takes to get from The Avenue to The Gyratory. Apart from this slight delay I haven't really noticed too much difference in my journey.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I call rollox on that. Show the spreadsheet.

You should know the figures are probably correct - you seem to do a lot of cycling and seem to be one of the "good" ones - so you must see at least 72% of the bike w@nkers zoom past you as you wait patiently at a red light, no?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
You should know the figures are probably correct - you seem to do a lot of cycling and seem to be one of the "good" ones - so you must see at least 72% of the bike w@nkers zoom past you as you wait patiently at a red light, no?

No, about 2 in 10 goes past me actually and they get a "lights!" shout from me, so more like 20%. The % of drivers that stop in the cycling zone at lights is about 9 out of 10. 90%. Who's worse?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
For me, it's not the cyclists that are the problem, it's the buses.

KEEP OUT OF THE HATCHED AREA.

It's really not that hard and all you're doing by blocking it is ruining it for everyone else

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
For me, it's not the cyclists that are the problem, it's the buses.

KEEP OUT OF THE HATCHED AREA.

It's really not that hard and all you're doing by blocking it is ruining it for everyone else

using the bus stop opposite their depot as a short-term depot doesn't help at that critical pinch point. A couple of bendy-25's nose to tail and another bus behind makes quite a long object...

using the bus stop opposite their depot as a short-term depot doesn't help at that critical pinch point. A couple of bendy-25's nose to tail and another bus behind makes quite a long object...
A matter I once raised at a public consultation meeting with Roger French.

He wasn't best pleased.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I look forward to when rush hour traffic meets football traffic ahead of an evening game. Good luck getting to the Mithras House P&R

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Oh so that's OK is it? Thought so.

No it's not but running a red light is dangerous for everyone. A car stopping in the cycle stop area isn't dangerous - just annoying.

Jimmy Grimble

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just out of interest I know that were a lot of problems when the Saltdean/A259 bus lane was initially opened, photos in the Argus of traffic queues etc. Has that now sorted itself out or is it still bad for people?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Oh dear.

Did you really do that?

Oh dear.

Why is it "oh dear" ? - so, so, so many pro-cycle lane / cyclists keep claiming it is a small majority of cyclists that break the law and then challenge people to prove most cyclists do so. I see cyclists go through red lights, ride on the pavement, ride without lights when it's dark and ride the wrong way down one way streets everyday and I don't mean single incidents I mean constantly EVERY DAY. Add to that in the last couple of months I seen cyclists actually purposely scrape their pedals down the side of a workmans van parked in the cycle lane unloading on the OSR when there was plenty of space to pass and I conclude that some cyclists are arrogant w@nkers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here