Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Road bus lane/traffic congestion

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Well, its all anecdotal, i've been out running and the traffic at 1pm was from the Woodingdean Crossroads back to Falmer Village

As I came back through Bevendean, I noticed the traffic was backing up from the top of Wilson Avenue back to Downland Rd.

Backs up what I was saying but were wasting our time as LB clearly believes we are lying.

Lord Bracknell; said:
Warren Road is always busy as the result of traffic building up during school going-home times. *But carry on blaming Lewes Road, if you wish.

I note there are traffic monitoring strips across the ESCC section of the B2123

Is this in LB area or the opersition ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
A suggestion that traffic was higher today due to the Brighton races?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Eh?

Driving back home from the RSCH towards Lewes this afternoon (4.00pm), via Ovingdean and Falmer Road, I discovered that the queue at the Woodingdean crossroads amounted to ... THREE cars. Last Friday, it was FIVE cars.

At that time, Warren Road is always busy as the result of traffic building up during school going-home times. But carry on blaming Lewes Road, if you wish.

I'm in Mid-Sussex. A friend has just called from Falmer, 45 minutes into his journey from the Marina to Hurstpierpoint.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
What I don't understand is how a car moving at 20mph improves congestion and pollution.

If they are really wanting to encourage cycling, they need to extend the pavements on long main roads and have railings separating the cycle lane from the roads. Of course this will cost more money, and will put a dent in the Brighton and Hove Bus Company backed council's plans of eventually forcing a congestion charge, but Jesus christ it's not rocket science.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
What I don't understand is how a car moving at 20mph improves congestion and pollution.

If they are really wanting to encourage cycling, they need to extend the pavements on long main roads and have railings separating the cycle lane from the roads. Of course this will cost more money, and will put a dent in the Brighton and Hove Bus Company backed council's plans of eventually forcing a congestion charge, but Jesus christ it's not rocket science.

One thing (IMO) I can never see happening is a congestion charge. Brighton relies on tourism and this would put thousands off coming in on a day trip.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
One thing (IMO) I can never see happening is a congestion charge. Brighton relies on tourism and this would put thousands off coming in on a day trip.

It was quoted on here a while back when discussing the increased parking charges all along the sea front that That Brighton ceased to be a tourist town back in the 60 and income form this is insignificant compared to that from students/universities, hotel/conferences. Don't believe it myself.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Interestingly, one of the effects of the congestion charge in central London is to make the area more attractive for tourists.

"Lets go to Brighton to get stuck in traffic"

"Lets go to Brighton to walk freely in the pedestrianized zones"

I know which I'd rather visit. Bring in the congestion charges as no more than 6% of the personal traffic needs to be in the town centre.

Johnboy123

Nov 9, 2012
Eh?

Driving back home from the RSCH towards Lewes this afternoon (4.00pm), via Ovingdean and Falmer Road, I discovered that the queue at the Woodingdean crossroads amounted to ... THREE cars. Last Friday, it was FIVE cars.

At that time, Warren Road is always busy as the result of traffic building up during school going-home times. But carry on blaming Lewes Road, if you wish.

As someone who uses the Falmer Road everyday, I can assure you it has got worse since the Lewes Road changes.

Another disastrous decision by Brighton & Hove Council.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I was dead against this bus lane idea until i realised that as i drive a registered taxi im able to use the bus lane and can now sail down lewes road unopposed past all the stationary traffic. Bloody marvellous idea :)

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

I know which I'd rather visit. Bring in the congestion charges as no more than 6% of the personal traffic needs to be in the town centre.

I'm with you on that. But I suspect your 6% figure is a tad too precise!

As someone who uses the Falmer Road everyday, I can assure you it has got worse since the Lewes Road changes.

Another disastrous decision by Brighton & Hove Council.

AS someone who cycles or buses it up The Lewes Road and can assure you my journeys have got better! Another excellent decision by the THREE political parties that agreed the scheme ( originally Tory, believe it or not)!

I might also remind Albion fans on here that the extension to the Amex was dependent on sorting out the transport corridor. Lord Bracknell, does that mean if the A 270 is turned back into a disgusting urban motorway for 20th century petrolheads, the capacity at the Amex could revert to 22,300?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
AS someone who cycles or buses it up The Lewes Road and can assure you my journeys have got better! Another excellent decision by the THREE political parties that agreed the scheme ( originally Tory, believe it or not)!

I might also remind Albion fans on here that the extension to the Amex was dependent on sorting out the transport corridor. Lord Bracknell, does that mean if the A 270 is turned back into a disgusting urban motorway for 20th century petrolheads, the capacity at the Amex could revert to 22,300?

Oh scaremongering or what?

I'm glad your journey is better, no really I am, but it is at the expense of gridlock across parts of east Brighton. Nothing wrong with cycle lanes or bus priority, but the scheme in Lewes Rd as it stands is dangerous and also does not work for the majority of road users...

Don't abandon it, change it before someone gets killed...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Interestingly, one of the effects of the congestion charge in central London is to make the area more attractive for tourists.

Which is fine BUT the rail links to the city centre are both fairly poor ( only Brighton Station gets you anywhere near the centre ) and limited. The fact that you can't catch a train out much past midnight is ridiculous.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It was carnage last night at 6.30 - took me 35 minutes to get to coombe road then driving up coombe road all traffic was static.

Whether you are green, red, blue or non political, cyclist, bus user, petrol head or pedestrian - the changes to the Lewes road simply do not work. A previous poster is correct someone will get killed soon probably not on the lewes road but all the rat runs now being used as east brighton is in now in grid lock at peak times - its just a real shame for all the road users and residence along and off the lewes road.

Anyway I am alright Jack as from 11th November I have a new job in London so will be using the much admired public transport network to get to work - so there will be one less car not moving on the lewes road.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

Probably because most of the London tourists fly in from all around the world and don't drive their own car there.

Surely, the parking charges in Brighton are the equivalent of a congestion charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here