Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Lenny Henry Show

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I saw him at the Dome Easy and he was good. I heard it all again though on the tv
I'll take your word for it then chap. We're all different.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this from Lenny - who on his own I didn't find very funny either tbh, but he was part of the chaos on Tiswas, which I adored.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The first time I saw him do standup was at Jenkinson's in the late 70's and he was OK. But the other acts I remember were Mike Read and Duncan Norvelle so there wasn't a great deal of competition and he was very much 'the young black kid act' with a few impressions.

That was the time when comedy was at an all time low, and with the notable exceptions of Les Dawson and Ronnie Corbett (who I saw years later and were comedy genii) the rest of it should really be flushed down the sewer. It had got seriously worse than the 40's, 50's and 60's and that was where he, as a young kid, had to start his career.

So in came 'alternative' comedy. The occasional moment of genius amongst a lot of shouting and jumping about, but those moments were great. Lenny moved with the times and stopped doing the racist and embarrassing stuff that he did to try and make his early career. Still not a great standup, but was good in comedy 'roles', 'sketches' and brilliant as part of the Tiswas team that we would drag ourselves out of one another's beds for on a Saturday morning :blush:

I've seen his recent serious stuff and he won't make a knighthood for it, but he's good. For the last 30 years he's been a likeable, relatable, compassionate presenter on a whole load of things, a lot of them charitable and a fair actor. I think he is honest and I would trust him more than a lot of other 'celebrities'. He ages with me and has seen many of the cultural changes I have seen and, as I have, changed in an attempt enjoy those changes and make lives better for the people around us.

I like him but probably wouldn't buy tickets for his stand-up show :wink:

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Mmmnope.

That bit with him on stage in particular is a classic example of why I never found him remotely funny, even as a kid. And I was an absolute moron. Not progressed much since either.
It was new ground, anarchic with no structure whatsoever.
I look back on a Python though and 50% of their stuff is crap. Still love them though for when they got it right. Same with Milligan….

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Mmmnope.

That bit with him on stage in particular is a classic example of why I never found him remotely funny, even as a kid. And I was an absolute moron. Not progressed much since either.
I'm with you. I loved the young ones and loads of the 'alternative' stuff, but not Alexi :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was new ground, anarchic with no structure whatsoever.
I look back on a Python though and 50% of their stuff is crap. Still love them though for when they got it right. Same with Milligan….
Take your point, Python and Spike could be very hit and miss. But Sayle never actually made me LOL like they did though. Ever. He was just a permanent 'miss' !

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
:lolol:
IMG_1189.jpeg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Like most of his age, his best comedy days are probably now behind him but at his best he was absolutely hilarious. For me his best stuff was when he did his OTT Brummy accent proclaiming loudly he was from 'DUDLAY'. Never fails to make me and Mrs Crodo titter. :lolol:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Unfunny and he laughed at his own jokes even though he'd heard them many times before.
See also: Billy Connolly.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Unfunny and he laughed at his own jokes even though he'd heard them many times before.
You're NOT allowed to diss Sir William Connolly on NSC! The old duffers will be up in arms. It's akin to taking on Only Fools and Horses on here.
:falmer::ohmy:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I liked Billy Connolly he told some good stories.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
most 80's comedy hasn't aged well. At the time it was hilarious

I listened to a podcast interview with Lenny, he's very honest, down to earth and always very bubbly, his first TV gig was amazingly on the Black and white minstrel show in the 70's, he did it for about 4 years, when black comics where the butt of the joke, talked about racism growing up, doesn't carry a chip on his shoulder. Then there's all the millions he has generated founding comic relief. For me, he is an all round good egg in my book

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You're NOT allowed to diss Sir William Connolly on NSC! The old duffers will be up in arms. It's akin to taking on Only Fools and Horses on here.
:falmer::ohmy:
Yep. Over the years this old duffer has probably seen a hundred or more comedians live, from the cult to the household name, from festivals, to clubs, to theatres to arenas. Nobody has ever come close to Connolly's mid eighties set I saw at the Dome that was later captured as 'An Audience With... '.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here