Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Leicester goal

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Don't get me wrong, the whole lot of them are partly culpable but Burn and Walton share most of the blame.

A good experience last night and concentrate on Villa now though. I don't think the cup competitions should have gone ahead this season and the semi's and final will be even more of a damp squib than usual so not bothered about going out anyway.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That’s a daft argument. Could equally apply it to the other end of the pitch - for every attempt on goal that doesn’t result in a goal you can point to where the attacking team could have done better - mistakes/sloppiness/poor attacking. What gives ?

The nature of the flaming of Burn by some on here (not just this thread) is beyond embarrassing. He’s a decent player and didn’t have a bad game (again). He did however switch off, along with several others. Walton is at least equally culpable (was his to claim, and he should be screaming at the defence to get organised), Dunk is supposed to be leading the defence but didn’t react quick enough, Veltman was playing them onside.......the list goes on. It was a poor piece of TEAM play.

I don’t think Veltman is playing them onside, looking at the replays it appears Iheanacho is slightly behind the ball when it’s crossed.

IMG_0448.jpeg

It’s very clever play from Leicester and poor from us, when we concede the corner Iheanacho is inside the 6 yard box but none of the 8 Brighton players in the box realise he’s gone to the back post to get the ball that’s just gone out of play, Leicester then get another ball to take the quick corner and he drifts back into the position he scores from. It’s a collective switch off by almost all of the team to lose track of the opposing striker and he is then unmarked for a header.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Veltman is at fault for me, if he’d been in line with everyone else then IanNacho would have been about a mile offside

Well, you're wrong then. Veltman doesn't play him onside. He's behind the ball when crossed. He wouldn't be offside, irrespective of where any defenders are.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
You get Championship defending from a Championship Defender (Burn).
As initial post stated Burn was the nearest defender to the scorer.
He made the decision that someone on the edge of the box was more dangerous than someone in the 6 yard box.

Like Ryan he does not suit Potterball style and should not be first choice.
A guy who is 6.5 who rarely wins a header anywhere on the pitch.

I'm just going to leave this here to speak for itself...

BDB.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t think Veltman is playing them onside, looking at the replays it appears Iheanacho is slightly behind the ball when it’s crossed.

View attachment 133680

It’s very clever play from Leicester and poor from us, when we concede the corner Iheanacho is inside the 6 yard box but none of the 8 Brighton players in the box realise he’s gone to the back post to get the ball that’s just gone out of play, Leicester then get another ball to take the quick corner and he drifts back into the position he scores from. It’s a collective switch off by almost all of the team to lose track of the opposing striker and he is then unmarked for a header.

Maybe.....must have come back from an offside position though ? 100% right re the general switch-off.

Anyway.......I’m done with this and not overly bothered about going out. If last night had been a league game and ended up like I’d be fuming :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A keeper who doesn't organise his defence at a set piece is a keeper who is likely to be beaten from about three yards out by a ball he should have claimed.

Afraid so.

The keeper is behind everyone. It is absolutely the keeper's job to be barking the instructions, and pointing out any opposition players in space. Nobody has covered themselves in glory, but if we must apportion individual blame (and the coaching team will do, internally, when they debrief) it really is very much Walton's fault, on both counts.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Afraid so.

The keeper is behind everyone. It is absolutely the keeper's job to be barking the instructions, and pointing out any opposition players in space. Nobody has covered themselves in glory, but if we must apportion individual blame (and the coaching team will do, internally, when they debrief) it really is very much Walton's fault, on both counts.

Agreed
it s the keeper s job to be directing his troops wherever required
He s the one best positioned to do so
But last night they all switched off
Sunday league defending the morning after the Xmas do

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I was expecting to lose hoping for a win and would much prefer GP and the team to concentrate on the PL. That said the manner of the defeat was disappointing, every match has lessons to learn and concentrating until the final whistle must be the biggest take away from this one.
I thought BDB played well overall especially when in Leicester's final 3rd although the final ball could have been better or he could have backed himself more and had a strike.
Overall I thought the whole team played well and neither Moder or Karbownik looked out of there depth at PL level. Yes it was a slightly weakened Leicester but £ for £ The team looked more than a match.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
There's a certain few posters on here that will find BDB guilty of anything, even if not his fault. Last night it was all of the players who 'switched off' at a crucial time.

So stop your continuous carping of him, it's getting boring after every game - and this to a player that gives 100% every game no matter what position he is asked to play.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Without going back to check, was BDB playing as the right centre-back last night, ie the position he was in for the goal?

Also, is his usual position for corners to be on the back post?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You get Championship defending from a Championship Defender (Burn).
As initial post stated Burn was the nearest defender to the scorer.
He made the decision that someone on the edge of the box was more dangerous than someone in the 6 yard box.

Like Ryan he does not suit Potterball style and should not be first choice.
A guy who is 6.5 who rarely wins a header anywhere on the pitch.

What extraordinary nonsense.

He didn't see Iheanacho. Iheanacho was off the pitch just before the corner, then sneaked on and they mugged us. But you think Burn saw him and made a decision to leave him? ??? :mad:

However, the rest of your post is correct. Not just Burn, the whole squad are Championship level and we should Get Rid. Supporters like you are the only ones who really understand the game. Fact. Potter OUT!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

View attachment 133680

I would imagine behind closed doors there will be a discussion going on. Walton is the most culpable as he should know who is where in his area and he also just had to come for that cross, even if he didn't get it, he had no choice. Back to my first point and him not knowing who was in the area I doubt he felt the need to get the cross as there was no danger, how wrong was he!

I think we all know Big Bob would have claimed it as a matter of routine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Didnt watch the game yesterday as I was out drinking, but seen the goal and think there's some harsh reactions against both Walton & Burn.

First of all it should be said that when a team gets a corner in the last 30 seconds of a game, everyone expect them to take their time and move up players.

all you have done is highlight how Walton and in particular Burn have completely ignored a player at the far post. the defender covering far post should be looking for that. they take the corner quickly because they can see no14 at the far stick without a defender within 10 yrds.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Another Burn binfest. Walton should’ve told him there was a player behind him that had come back onto the pitch. It’s 3 seconds though after 94 minutes so tired brains were apparent. And I don’t remember Barca being blamed too much when TAA took that quick corner in the CL that he was lauded for.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
all you have done is highlight how Walton and in particular Burn have completely ignored a player at the far post. the defender covering far post should be looking for that. they take the corner quickly because they can see no14 at the far stick without a defender within 10 yrds.

Speculation. They take a quick corner as there are seconds left.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Another Burn binfest. Walton should’ve told him there was a player behind him that had come back onto the pitch. It’s 3 seconds though after 94 minutes so tired brains were apparent. And I don’t remember Barca being blamed too much when TAA took that quick corner in the CL that he was lauded for.

If you'd picked up a Catalan newspaper that day I reckon you'd think differently

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sad that so many want to find a scapegoat for a well worked goal. The quality of the overall performance has hardly had a mention on this thread. I was gutted to lose but massively impressed with how that makeshift team played. No killer instinct again but we played well overall in my humble opinion. I don’t actually EXPECT Albion to beat top four teams though

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sad that so many want to find a scapegoat for a well worked goal. The quality of the overall performance has hardly had a mention on this thread. I was gutted to lose but massively impressed with how that makeshift team played. No killer instinct again but we played well overall in my humble opinion. I don’t actually EXPECT Albion to beat top four teams though

In fairness, this is a thread specifically about the goal.

Plenty of positive assessment of other areas, on the ratings and match threads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here