Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The legdrag for penalties

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Whatever happened to the striker dribbling round the keeper and scoring , it rarely happens now
Used to be Peter Ward's trademark way of scoring - at least in his first full season. Always used to round the keeper to score in one-on-one situations - can't remember him ever diving instead to get a pen.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I had an argument with an Argentinean lad about this once. According to him it is 'winning a penalty', and it is something of an art form. He said they are taught how to do it at school over there and players actively practice it. His point of view was that it is difficult to perfect and that it is just as fair a trick as a step over, for example. He wouldn't have it that it is a dive. Not saying he's right, but it's interesting looking at it from that angle.

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
When Ian Rush came back from Juve in the late Eighties he said the Italians used to practice the leg drag in training.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Personally I'd like to see it banned and post match suspensions given out. I would also like to see anyone dissenting to a decision given a red straight away (except maybe captain) anyone claiming a throw on or goal kick, corner etc when they know its not their's given a ban. You know, literally any cheating (all of which this is) given bans.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I had an argument with an Argentinean lad about this once. According to him it is 'winning a penalty', and it is something of an art form. He said they are taught how to do it at school over there and players actively practice it. His point of view was that it is difficult to perfect and that it is just as fair a trick as a step over, for example. He wouldn't have it that it is a dive. Not saying he's right, but it's interesting looking at it from that angle.

And he was, of course, right. Not saying its nice to watch but it gains an advantage for your team. Murray would say, if he was honest, that he would rather take a dead ball kick from 12 yards rather than dribble round the keeper like Wardy used to and risk falling flat on his arse 9 times out of 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here