Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The legdrag for penalties

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
This is happening so much now its getting beyond a joke.
Whatever happened to the striker dribbling round the keeper and scoring , it rarely happens now .
You get the player come up to the keeper who dives and the player hits it past diagnally and then changes direction to drag his leg over the keeper and fall like a dying swan arms stretched.
Referees must know whats going on and on the rare occasion when the keeper pulls out of a dive for the ball and the player goes over expecting to be touched what does the ref do, they laugh and tell the player to get up. Most of the time now they dont even book the player for diving.
Its ruining the game

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Whatever happened to the striker dinking the ball over the keeper is what i want to know. Works 90% of the time. Maybe the legdrag has been an increasingly attractive option, but the dink is virtually failsafe if you get it right.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I actually agree, kicking the ball 10 ft away from you and letting your trailing leg touch the keeper for me is not a pen, but you just don't get penalties unless you go down. That's why they do it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I actually agree, kicking the ball 10 ft away from you and letting your trailing leg touch the keeper for me is not a pen, but you just don't get penalties unless you go down. That's why they do it.

I disagree, If the keeper falls for it and touches the striker it should be a pen.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Wasn't really a legdrag though, was it. He kicked TK with his front leg up near TK's left armpit. It is cheating, but if you can get away with it, then why not. It needs a strong referee to not award it, but there don't appear to be many of them around.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
It is ruining football unfortunately. Not saying we're innocent of it at all, it's a problem right across the country. Fortunately referees are starting to dish out more yellows for simulation, in the Premier League at least, even when there is contact. Contact does not always mean a foul and that's what's been lost in the mindset of players and fans.

Regarding Murray on Sat, he just ran into Kuszczak when his natural line would have been to run to the side of him and not to touch him. Kuszczak kept his arms down, never a pen for me.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The way to stop it is to change the rules and state......" the attacking player must, in the opinion of the referee, be in full control of the ball and in a goalscoring position when brought down ".
This eliminates the last split second toe-poke, as the keeper arrives, sending the ball miles from goal and then the inevitable leg-drag over the keeper. The players are never in control of the ball when they do this. They are playing for penalties, not trying to score.
The whole mindset has to change. Players need to improve their skills and actually practise trying to beat keepers from close range. It has all got too easy and too ingrained and players have got lazy. They don't need to think about dribbling round keepers when winning penalties is so easy.
The likes of Greaves and Best didn't want to leave anything to chance. They wanted to score themselves and had the self-confidence to take it round the keeper. Now, it seems like a dying art.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
On the rare occasions refs call a dive, they should (be allowed to) follow it up with a red card. That sort of ruling would stop a vast majority of the cheats doing it. Even more so when player goes down even though the keeper has pulled out of the tackle, not only does the player look a plum, he needs to feel like one as he's summarily red carded.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Not a great time to debate this given the circumstances. I actually think both pens were fair. I only wish CMS was sharp enough to do what Murray did.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not a great time to debate this given the circumstances. I actually think both pens were fair. I only wish CMS was sharp enough to do what Murray did.

How could the first penalty be fair. It was blatant cheating. He pinged the ball past the keeper and then dragged his leg over Kushie. The keeper knew what was coming, kept his hands away from Murray, made no contact and was then kicked by Murray.
It is massively unfair that keepers keep being penalised in this way. It is dragging the game into the gutter and some people don't seem bothered about it. The cheats are prospering and will just do it over and over again.
Amazing how super fit footballers, possessing great skill and balance, seem to lose it all the moment they enter the penalty area. Thirteen stone and strongly built and yet they just can't keep their feet?
Players of limited ability making a mockery of the beautiful game because they don't possess the skills to defeat a keeper one to one. And they are being allowed to get away with it.
It makes me puke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here