Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The league cup

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The attendance guessing thread got me thing, why bother with this competition? Because let's face it, it's shit.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the PAINT POT. A real chance of a Wembley appearance plus cheap entry = attractive competition. But as far as the league cup goes, I really couldn't give a shit. The top four clubs don't t care about the competition except that in hindsight they might be able to say they won that elusive quadruple (Champs League, Prem, FA Cup, League Cup). But even then, they'll have played their reserve team which will have taken the gloss off any potential giant killing for the rest of us anyway.

It's only teams like Villa, Man City, Everton and Spurs who ought to take it seriously. However, prices for this competition remain quite high, and at Brighton's level it's not as if we've really got much of a chance of getting to the final, is it? So sod the Barnet game. I'll save my cash for the first round paint pot match against Aldershot AND the second round match at The Den. :thumbsup:

barney

Jul 31, 2006
The attendance guessing thread got me thing, why bother with this competition? Because let's face it, it's shit.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the PAINT POT. A real chance of a Wembley appearance plus cheap entry = attractive competition. But as far as the league cup goes, I really couldn't give a shit. The top four clubs don't t care about the competition except that in hindsight they might be able to say they won that elusive quadruple (Champs League, Prem, FA Cup, League Cup). But even then, they'll have played their reserve team which will have taken the gloss off any potential giant killing for the rest of us anyway.

It's only teams like Villa, Man City, Everton and Spurs who ought to take it seriously. However, prices for this competition remain quite high, and at Brighton's level it's not as if we've really got much of a chance of getting to the final, is it? So sod the Barnet game. I'll save my cash for the first round paint pot match against Aldershot AND the second round match at The Den. :thumbsup:

so you wouldn't love it if we got newcastle/villa/everton etc away in the second round? bet you wouldn't f*** it off then

reigate

Nov 10, 2005

I'm guessing you would soon complain if you could not get a ticket for a Man Utd 3rd round tie?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
So how about the FA Cup then? We have no chance of winning it, even less chance then we have the League Cup. Ticket prices are the same as normall or only just under.

So are you going to boycot that as well?

barney

Jul 31, 2006
plus the fact it could give a massive pay day

most ridiculous thread i've ever laid my sorry eyes upon

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm in agreement with Simster, but only because we always go out in such a limp wristed way EVERY year and early too. Should we get a decent championship or above team at any stage I will be brimming with enthusiasm and barging my way to the front of the ticket queue, until then I'll give it a miss.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
It is a good job the players do not feel the same.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
plus the fact it could give a massive pay day

most ridiculous thread i've ever laid my sorry eyes upon

That is the one problem with this cup, it is not a massive pay day until the third or fourth round.

In 2003 we played Middlesborough away in the second round, a decent enough Premiership side, yet the gate was under 10,000, so I doubt we made much in the way of money from that tie.

However the fact that the top 4 of the Premiership come in from round 3 (plus the other sides in Europe), means there is the chance of getting a decent draw.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
That is the one problem with this cup, it is not a massive pay day until the third or fourth round.

In 2003 we played Middlesborough away in the second round, a decent enough Premiership side, yet the gate was under 10,000, so I doubt we made much in the way of money from that tie.

However the fact that the top 4 of the Premiership come in from round 3 (plus the other sides in Europe), means there is the chance of getting a decent draw.

'boro are not a good side to draw. their average attendance is an embarrassment. would be much better to draw even a big championship side. my mate is a season ticket holder at boro and said their capacity is around 35 and they usually sell 22 odd thousand STs and this year they are around 17 thousand. they are about half empty every week let alone for when a league cup tie against us comes around..

away at newcastle or sunderland in the second round would be big. then we could draw anyone in the third..

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
'boro are not a good side to draw. their average attendance is an embarrassment. would be much better to draw even a big championship side. my mate is a season ticket holder at boro and said their capacity is around 35 and they usually sell 22 odd thousand STs and this year they are around 17 thousand. they are about half empty every week let alone for when a league cup tie against us comes around..

away at newcastle or sunderland in the second round would be big. then we could draw anyone in the third..

I would still guess that Newcastle or Sunderland would be under 20,000.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
I would still guess that Newcastle or Sunderland would be under 20,000.

maybe so, but 20 000 is better than 2 000 at withdean

and if we got a decent championship side who did the same, say 20 000, we could turn them over on the day and then united away in the third round, they'd sell out for anything the amount of day trippers queuing up

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I drove past Villa Park again the other day. I've ALWAYS wanted to go there.
If we could just, for once, get through these poxy early rounds and get a draw like that, then I'd be BOUNCING.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
However, prices for this competition remain quite high,

Adults from £12.50. Bleedin' hell do you want the ticket for free? :shrug:

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Think the League Cup is a great chance for us to have an early cup run and more opportunity for the team to gel, and give those players on the fringes of 1st team some action.

Does anyone know if it is live on Seagulls World tonight?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here