Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Latest Betting odds on next Albion Manager

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The clue as to who will be our new manager lies withn those who are selecting. I almost can't see a strong manager coming here as this would clash with the ideals of those selecting, look at what we have had in the last two and there will be the clue. Both very junior when they arrived, with a certain thinking on the passing game, the first objected publically and the second just left. I'm not sure that the board will appoint a high roller for the job and suspect it may be someone who is emerging or is looking for their first job as the main man, look out for a surprise.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
The clue as to who will be our new manager lies withn those who are selecting. I almost can't see a strong manager coming here as this would clash with the ideals of those selecting, look at what we have had in the last two and there will be the clue. Both very junior when they arrived, with a certain thinking on the passing game, the first objected publically and the second just left. I'm not sure that the board will appoint a high roller for the job and suspect it may be someone who is emerging or is looking for their first job as the main man, look out for a surprise.

This is very possible. However, is it not also possible that TB may think he made a mistake appointing Oscar in hindsight? He has made much of his failure to communicate and lack of interest in the mechanics of the transfer market. I think you are correct that there will still be an emphasis on the passing game but I am not sure the other criteria are set in stone.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is very possible. However, is it not also possible that TB may think he made a mistake appointing Oscar in hindsight? He has made much of his failure to communicate and lack of interest in the mechanics of the transfer market. I think you are correct that there will still be an emphasis on the passing game but I am not sure the other criteria are set in stone.

In terms of the style of football, I would expect Tony Bloom to have that as one of his criteria for selecting the new man, but I would hope that once they are in place the way they achieve this will be up to them. Foe example, although both Gus and Oscar stuck rigidly to a 1 striker formation, I don't see that as being a must have for the new manager.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If we can't afford Grabban's wages what makes anyone think we can afford the wages and expectations of Sherwood, Clement, Moyes, Howe or anyone other than Nathan Jones or similar. We're either going to start gambling with promotion or continue living within our means.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The same Bmuff who were able to offer Grabban better wages? Why would he leave that to come to a club with LESS money?

There is a difference between able to offer better wages and willing to offer better wages. I am sure had the club wanted to we could have offered Grabban more money but they'd obviously reached a limit of what they thought he was worth. I'd rather the club stuck to that and we missed out on a few players then start throwing money around and before we know it we are paying John Utaka £80,000 a week.

Seagull97

Jan 13, 2014
There is a difference between able to offer better wages and willing to offer better wages. I am sure had the club wanted to we could have offered Grabban more money but they'd obviously reached a limit of what they thought he was worth. I'd rather the club stuck to that and we missed out on a few players then start throwing money around and before we know it we are paying John Utaka £80,000 a week.

This.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
If we can't afford Grabban's wages what makes anyone think we can afford the wages and expectations of Sherwood, Clement, Moyes, Howe or anyone other than Nathan Jones or similar. We're either going to start gambling with promotion or continue living within our means.

We could have afforded Grabban's wages, what he was offered by AFCB exceeded our valuation. There is a massive difference.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak

He didn't say we couldn't afford Grabbans wages, he said we were not prepared to pay then as they were more than the percieved value of the player, massive difference.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
In terms of the style of football, I would expect Tony Bloom to have that as one of his criteria for selecting the new man, but I would hope that once they are in place the way they achieve this will be up to them. Foe example, although both Gus and Oscar stuck rigidly to a 1 striker formation, I don't see that as being a must have for the new manager.

I hope they don't stick rigidly to it, it has become a bigger and bigger bore

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Well yes I agree with that but both me and you are guessing as to whether we weren't willing to offer "silly" money or whether a reasonable offer would've gotten his signature.

Bear in mind we have a recent history of undervaluing our best strikers and offering them pretty woeful new contracts, so they go off and do very well elsewhere...

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
do we need a new manager? we seem to be releasing and signing players at the moment without one.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

I am guessing to a degree but I think herein may lie the crux of the Oscar strop. I don't think he wanted to play 1 up top particularly. He was said to be in favour of THREE up top (though I confess I don't know what the style was at Maccabi) presumably an interchangeable three a la Barca. Perhaps his list of targets was designed round that, be it attacking players, a holding mid to allow that system, attacking FB's etc etc. Just maybe what he had with us he felt didn't lend itself to the style he wanted to play and therefore it wasn't HIS team. Only speculating. FWIW, I think he could have played a three with the players at his disposal but with a central figure in Leo but it'll be interesting to see if he goes with a mobile trio wherever he pitches up next.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
do we need a new manager? we seem to be releasing and signing players at the moment without one.

ooooooo you could be on to something there hybrid_x..........

You love a conspiracy theory....

hang with me while we consider that perhaps Tony would love to follow in the footsteps of his hero Simon Jordon who sold Palace and now is the owner/manager of Bromley....

Could it be true.....

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Don't really get all the betting stuff, but now, Betvictor not showing odds does this mean anything or is it normal?

Ignore me back now.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
He didn't say we couldn't afford Grabbans wages, he said we were not prepared to pay then as they were more than the percieved value of the player, massive difference.

Fair point.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Looking at the list of managers below the odds list, where does Charles Webb come in the longest serving managers list? Is he ahead of, or just behind Sir Alex Ferguson? The shocking statistic is just how many managers we have had in the last 40 years.

On first calculation Charles Webb beats Ferguson by a year at 28 years albeit give or take some months. Very long time thoough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here