Auch
I just wish we'd take the FA Cup seriously

I mean the year's are running out for some of us

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
* Probably.

Those aged 45 to 59 reported the lowest levels of life satisfaction, with men on average less satisfied than women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35471624

Given the age ranges that the ONS used, it's likely that more NSC users fit into that group than any other (??), making the title true. (ish)

We're a bunch of miserable B'stards...

Bang to rights

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've not long since entered that group, and look forward to years of grumpiness.

Ironically, the TV Show 'Grumpy Old Gits' suggested we reached that state at 35. I was 34 and three quarters at the time of watching and concluded that I was a good apprentice.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've got 4 moths 'till I hit 45 ............ and I am already weapons grade pissed off

with everything

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
About the age that you realise that you have not done much with your life, you have been working in a job you really hate, you cannot retire when you thought because your pension hasn't performed well enough, your wife is menopausal and your kids are bleeding you dry.

Other than that, life is grand.

and if you do separate from your wife the courts /lawyers will financially castrate you.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Or.............your kids are (almost) grown up, mortgage paid off, reached a stage where you've long since realised whilst work is important, it's not life and death so you don't get stressed about it any more and enjoy it more as a result, have a decent work/life balance, have enough time to fit in most of the things you want to do, comfortable in your long term marriage/relationship and generally happy with your lot (could always be better of course, but count your blessings).

Congratulations! Are you saying that you are not a miserable git? :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or.............your kids are (almost) grown up, mortgage paid off, reached a stage where you've long since realised whilst work is important, it's not life and death so you don't get stressed about it any more and enjoy it more as a result, have a decent work/life balance, have enough time to fit in most of the things you want to do, comfortable in your long term marriage/relationship and generally happy with your lot (could always be better of course, but count your blessings).

I would agree with this. And if I had one tip for everyone it would be to cut out long commuting.....it kills your life in so many ways.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just for all you not being 50-54 I'm having a fantastic time being a miserable old b'stard and highly recommend it! (51)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Congratulations! Are you saying that you are not a miserable git? :)

I try not to be......my wife/kids/team at work might say otherwise

I would agree with this. And if I had one tip for everyone it would be to cut out long commuting.....it kills your life in so many ways.

Absolutely this.....I'm still London-based but work from home 2 days a week (my team is scattered far and wide so it doesn't really matter to them where I am) - can't tell you how much difference that makes to quality of life. I won't ever go back to a 5-day commute.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Only another week then, and I'll be as happy as a pig in poo!

Don't get too excited about the prospect. I'm 62, and there was no glorious transition two years ago.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Must admit the daily trudge of life is completely boring and at times pisses me right off.

Starts with the bloody cat crying for food at 6am until you go down and feed her.
Then get the little ones breakfast ready, iron her clothes get her up and washed, dressed. All while the wife slumbers she then gets up and rushes around like a mad women demanding we cant be late. We jump in the car drop her at the station, then I shoot to breakfast club drop the little one and then rush to work along the A27 a breakneck speed to be on time.

I do a job, that can be challenging and rewarding but dealing with site managers and awkward customers can get you down sometimes, but that is like every job I guess.

At 5 I jump in the car and rush to after school club along the A27 a breakneck speed to be on time at 5.30 pick up the little one, then join the stupid arse ques to get the station and pick up the wife who gets in when on bloody time at 5.40 otherwise we sit and wait more often then not... then sit in traffic to go back through town which takes anywhere between 15mins to 30mins dependent on traffic all for a 5min journey.

Then you rush to get dinner ready, I hate the fact we barely get time to engage with the little one, who has to eat her diner, shower, and be in a bed by 7pm.... This is the most enjoyable part of the day talking with her about her day and reading stories making her laugh.

Then I am so knackered or just fecked off, we just watch shit on tv....

The weekends are when we spend quality time together, and if was not for the weekend I think I would seriously wonder what the feck am I doing this for ....

Rant over, actually there is so much more that pisses me off, that yes I am turning into a grumpy old man...

I think that the older you get, the more your illusions of a wonderful world and life you can have are shattered for most of us who are caught up in like the inevitable cog in a wheel...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Although this says people in mid Sussex are the happiest people in England, I don't count obviously living in Brighton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35470725

The largest proportion of happy people in England are living in Mid Sussex, the smallest in Wolverhampton, according to official statistics.
Data collected over three years has been used to measure the wellbeing of more than 300,000 people across the UK.
On average, people rated their happiness between seven and eight out of 10.
But the largest percentage of people rating themselves at nine or 10 was in Mid Sussex (39.3%).

That compares with 21.8% in Wolverhampton.
Councillor Garry Wall, leader of Mid Sussex District Council, said: "Being happy isn't just about where you are; it's also about who you are with and how you live your life. We live in an area surrounded by beautiful countryside, areas of outstanding natural beauty and enjoy a growing local economy but crucially we have strong local communities."

The ONS found ratings of life satisfaction and happiness were at their lowest, on average, for those aged 45 to 59.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

I agree with much of that. Do what you can to shape your life - take control rather than let it control you. Try to get the balance right.

I've always been a glass half full person, so have a generally positive outlook on life. Reaching 30, 40 and 50 really didn't feel too much of a deal.
Now I'm approaching 60 I don't feel much different. OK a couple of dodgy knees mean that I won't be sprinting down the wing or indulging in marathon Squash games but I'm reasonably fit and active, and there is still some lead in the pencil. I might not need hair gel anymore (a squirt of Pledge might be more appropriate), but I have a realistic perspective on life and the world around me. If having opinions based on one's life experiences and outlook makes you appear grumpy, then so be it, that's me.

50 years of supporting The Albion also keeps one's feet firmly on the ground, although the Bloom era now engenders real hopes that a spell in the PL will happen....(glass definitely very full there).

There is a slight awareness that there may be fewer years ahead than have already passed in one's life. Not something to dwell upon and certainly doesn't mean that it's pipe and carpet slippers time. Therefore appreciate what you have and try to enjoy living life. Equally it doesn't have to be champagne and roses every day but isn't too shabby either. We don't know what is around the corner, so appreciate it. :cheers:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here