Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lakes

exeterseagull

May 19, 2008
exeter
Ok my well travelled friends....
Any suggestions for a 2 night mid week stay around the Lakes for next week...looking for a nice base where I can go walking just to clear my head....then of course off to Crewe for the game.....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ambleside is a stunning place, great pubs, beautiful views, on the lake so try the river taxis, oh, and there is a football museum there "The Homes of Football" :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
ALL the Lake District is lovely but Ambleside is the tourist area with loads of Americans and Japs roaming around. Move out, Coniston Water has a lovely little village by the top end of the Lake. Derwentwater Hotel on the edge of Derwentwater in the North end of the lakes youi will not get better for a reasonable budget. It does depend on your budget but I would prefer to be away from the tourist end.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Interesting US, in my previous visits to Ambleside I don't think I have ever come accross any Japs or Yanks. Then again I may not have been at particualr tourist times. We stay near there when the Albion are playing Carlisle.

Ambleside has a stunning range of Real Ale pubs, fortunatly Yanks and Japs in general don't care for the stuff so don't go in. As a town it is a little touristy, but take a walk down the side streets, and find those pubs, it's lovely.

Coniston is good to

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
ALL the Lake District is lovely but Ambleside is the tourist area with loads of Americans and Japs roaming around. Move out, Coniston Water has a lovely little village by the top end of the Lake. Derwentwater Hotel on the edge of Derwentwater in the North end of the lakes youi will not get better for a reasonable budget. It does depend on your budget but I would prefer to be away from the tourist end.

Not as nice as France though, eh GG :)

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Wastwater is the best lake - it's the least developed and has the biggest mountains round it. There's a hotel right at the end called the Wasdale Inn (I think) or there's a village at the other end called Nether Wasdale.

Brilliant if you just want to walk but no good if you want lots of restaurants, teashops and galleries selling fourth-rate watercolours.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not as nice as France though, eh GG :)

The Lake District is better than anything France can offer in fact its the best place in the World. I went to Ambleside last July so it was peak season. There is lots to do if you want a quiter time I recommend Coniston, a few pubs and restaurants, maybe a boat trip or hire a boat, they do not do water skiing anymore because of the 10 mph restriction, Kendal is on the edge of Derwentwater and the Derwentwater hotel cannot be beaten.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wastwater is indeed the best lake but I also like Crummock Water and Grasemere lakes the smaller ones.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Only if she asks nicely :glare:

I used to work with a lovely young lady who hailed from Cockermouth... she used to get ever so embarassed when she told people whereabouts in Cumbria she came from!

As you're a 'local' - where should I visit in the area that is good for kids.. (2 and 6 years of age).?

Papa

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ambleside / top of Windermere is fantastic. Me and the girlfriend stayed in an inn called the Grey Walls Inn (google it). £150 each for 3 nights including breakfast and evening meal (anything off the menu, 3 courses). We got a pack of walks from the small walking centre across the road and each day spent at least 4 to 5 hours on walks that are designed to take you to the best views in the area. It is tops mate, can't go wrong.

Here is a gview from one walk to Orrest Head.

winOrrestHead.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We were there in January, no tourists then.

In fact, Nibble, we also stood on that same spot, looking in the same direction, watching a massive storm come in over those far mountains.

We watched, we watched and we watched, then we ran for cover as hailstones the size of golf balls, came raining down on us.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nibble I love it. Ambleside is fantastic don't get me wrong but it will be heaving with Amercians and Japs at this time of the year. I would recommend Consiton, its only 5 miles down the road as well. Is there anywhere better than the Lake district ?. I think not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here