Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Kick It Out campaign and petition

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
Just to answer one or two questions about yesterdays Kick It Out stall.

The initiative came from a small group of fans, including season ticket holders and we included the petition mainly because of the clubs complete silence since Gus Poyet made his comments about Suarez, and racism in football generally, a few weeks ago. Over 240 people signed it in just over an hour. It is worded thus :

Albion manager Gus Poyet recently dismissed the seriousness of racism in football claiming that abuse of one player towards another isn't racism. However, the law and the majority of Brighton and Hove supporters would agree that it is, and shouldn't be tolerated.
The FA and PFA have a clear policy on racism - to which Brighton and Hove Albion is a signatory through the Kick It Out campaign.
The Albion needs to show it takes a strong stand against all racism on and off the pitch and must make a clear commitment to eradicating racism in football.

The petition does not directly demand sanctions against the manager, as one poster has claimed. It simply argues that the club needs to show it is serious about an initiative that it is signed up to support. At the moment it is very lacking. For example :-

During the Kick It Out campaign weeks of action in October, the club did nothing.

After Poyet's comments in the Guardian and on Talksport, the club made no response at all.

I have personally e-mailed the club twice in the last couple of weeks in relation to our stall yesterday, including asking for support, and received no reply whatsoever.

Yet the response yesterday showed that Brighton fans are keen to support the campaign and also let the club know that they are.

Thanks to all who enthusiatically supported our initiative yesterday.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
There was a Kick It Out stall?

News to me.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

The initiative came from a small group of fans, including season ticket holders and we included the petition mainly because of the clubs complete silence since Gus Poyet made his comments about Suarez, and racism in football generally, a few weeks ago. Over 240 people signed it in just over an hour. It is worded thus :

Albion manager Gus Poyet recently dismissed the seriousness of racism in football claiming that abuse of one player towards another isn't racism. However, the law and the majority of Brighton and Hove supporters would agree that it is, and shouldn't be tolerated.
The FA and PFA have a clear policy on racism - to which Brighton and Hove Albion is a signatory through the Kick It Out campaign.
The Albion needs to show it takes a strong stand against all racism on and off the pitch and must make a clear commitment to eradicating racism in football.

The petition does not directly demand sanctions against the manager, as one poster has claimed. It simply argues that the club needs to show it is serious about an initiative that it is signed up to support. At the moment it is very lacking. For example :-

During the Kick It Out campaign weeks of action in October, the club did nothing.

After Poyet's comments in the Guardian and on Talksport, the club made no response at all.

I have personally e-mailed the club twice in the last couple of weeks in relation to our stall yesterday, including asking for support, and received no reply whatsoever.

Yet the response yesterday showed that Brighton fans are keen to support the campaign and also let the club know that they are.

Blimey fantastic performance and atmosphere and all some people can moan about is the club not answering emails...unbelievable.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Seems like a huge dig at our manager to me......I wouldn't have signed that statement. :nono:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Saw a few people wearing the badges yesterday but never saw any stall. Sounds very much like the club just rubber-stamped the stall and never checked the wording of the petition. Lesson learnt for the future?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I stand to be flamed for my stupidity but I signed it without checking the small print as the "Kick it Out" campaign is something I believe in. I now don't want to be connected to such a con and withdraw my signature. An idiot I may have been but it doesn't compare to people like you conning people. Quite frankly I want nothing to do with c**ts like you and your campaign - especially as you linked yourself to a valid campaign without making it clear what you were doing.

I will be PM'ing you to remove my signature.

abc

Jan 6, 2007

It is quite a statement to make that you believe you believe that your view is that of "the majority of B&H supporters". Undoubtably a majority would declare themselves to be anti racism but whether a majority would consider Gus's views to be racist or even that he was 'dismissing the seriousness of racism in football', I have my doubts.

However, as I assume as you are only interested in the truth, balance and perspective, that you will only present the petition if a 'majority of supporters' have signed. Just for interest, how many will this be? 20,000?40,000? or more?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The Kick It Out campaign is something fans would get behind, but when they are DECEIVED into badmouthing their own manager then the support will quickly dwindle.

Maybe Johnny Fever should be renamed Dirty Corrupt Buffoon!!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Why would the club want to take issue in public with their manager over comments that have been made by him and are obviously his own views and not the clubs. The club support the kick it out campaign and that should be enough. It is very easy to be critical of others views but different cultures have been brought up with different perspectives on things. Also from reading the text above I am unclear about what signing the petition meant you were signing up to agreeing to?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I stand to be flamed for my stupidity but I signed it without checking the small print as the "Kick it Out" campaign is something I believe in. I now don't want to be connected to such a con and withdraw my signature. An idiot I may have been but it doesn't compare to people like you conning people. Quite frankly I want nothing to do with c**ts like you and your campaign - especially as you linked yourself to a valid campaign without making it clear what you were doing.

I will be PM'ing you to remove my signature.

I believe [MENTION=2654]ATFC Seagull[/MENTION] will be joining you with this statement.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Albion manager Gus Poyet recently dismissed the seriousness of racism in football claiming that abuse of one player towards another isn't racism.

Nothing like twisting the truth. That quite an inflammatory statement, maybe the club's silence is because the a formulating a law suit.

Are you rich?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
saw the ''small print'' refused to sign it...otherwise an important group...240? hmm..and i wonder how many knew exactly what they wer signing and why it was instigated...does them no credit at all

D

Deleted member 22389

What was the point in even creating this petition in the first place. Like another poster said, it feels like a complete dig at our manager. Its not up to us to get involved with this. It is between the club and whoever has the issue with it. Has anybody apart from his petition complained since Gus got battered by the press?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Albion manager Gus Poyet recently dismissed the seriousness of racism in football claiming that abuse of one player towards another isn't racism.

I don't mean to join in with the others piling on you, but he didn't say that, did he? Was that what he claimed? I thought he claimed Suarez didn't racially abuse Evra. That he had experienced a lot of racism in his time in spain and didn't complain about it.

Is abuse of one player to another racist? Not inherently. The abuse has to actually involve race, doesn't it?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Seems a lot were duped by it just by this thread, if I ever come down to the AMEX and get confronted with your 'stall' I'll kick the fucker down.

FACT.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here