The 'Joke Club' thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Has got me thinking.

With a lot of STH buying the +3 for their mates/family (some, not all) will no doubt be JCLs who haven't watched the Albion much. I seem to remember Easy10 mentioning that some of the guys in his group were 'fans' of Premiership clubs, who fancied getting a ST at The Amex - and I'm sure they'll not be the only ones.

So just how many will be sitting there asking who the players are etc?

I know we want the Amex full, I only hope that most of those +3s are lapsed Albion fans rather than someone who's constantly checking their phone to see how Chelski/Man U etc are getting on.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would think a lot of these people would have been our supporters - but in the last 15 (even 20) years following the Albion has been more like being part of a political movement than following a football team. Lots of people have not bothered about that, understandably. Now the Club is back as it should be people want to connect back to their local club.

Welcome back and yes - that one is Murray.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Has got me thinking.

With a lot of STH buying the +3 for their mates/family (some, not all) will no doubt be JCLs who haven't watched the Albion much. I seem to remember Easy10 mentioning that some of the guys in his group were 'fans' of Premiership clubs, who fancied getting a ST at The Amex - and I'm sure they'll not be the only ones.

I know we want the Amex full, I only hope that most of those +3s are lapsed Albion fans rather than someone who's constantly checking their phone to see how Chelski/Man U etc are getting on.

To be honest, although atmosphere is key, if a JCL wants to pay upwards of £500 for a ticket for a club he doesn't support then its still money in the clubs coffers. Could be worse.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I would think a lot of these people would have been our supporters - but in the last 15 (even 20) years following the Albion has been more like being part of a political movement than following a football team. Lots of people have not bothered about that, understandably. Now the Club is back as it should be people want to connect back to their local club.

Was one of those disaffected, I'll not shy away from admitting it, but have been watching or closely on the trail of the club all this season, since the opening game. Been to many Albion games since my first in 1971... always loved the club, didn't love the past couple of decades. Hope I'm forgiven.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't mind the new jacks as long as they don't wear replica shirts/merchandise of other teams. Sometimes even see that at Withdean.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
To be honest, although atmosphere is key, if a JCL wants to pay upwards of £500 for a ticket for a club he doesn't support then its still money in the clubs coffers. Could be worse.

I was thinking about this the other day. Although I imagine the majority, including myself, are seriously chuffed with the 12 month direct debit scheme, if we don't do so well in The Championship and start losing a few games, what is to stop someone simply cancelling the DD and not bothering anymore?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I've never had a season ticket at the Withdean, in fact i've seen only 20 odd games there. I have however been to plenty of away games every season over the last 10 years, and like the majority of the people i meet up with at these games have purchased a season ticket for Falmer. Not because we are not 'real fans' but because the whole 'post Goldstone' era has been (a few promotions aside) a load of shit. It's us away fans that will bring the noise, you may well be one of them and I hope you are, but there are plenty of Brighton fans who have been waiting for the 6th August, just like me.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Sure, no problem with lapsed fans.

And glad to hear Murray's staying.....

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Was one of those disaffected, I'll not shy away from admitting it, but have been watching or closely on the trail of the club all this season, since the opening game. Been to many Albion games since my first in 1971... always loved the club, didn't love the past couple of decades. Hope I'm forgiven.

I think there are lots of our supporters like that - and it co-incided with the rise of the premiership so they do think of themselves as Arsenal or Spurs fans (or whoever). But they are football supporters who once are in the swing of watching all the home games will be like converts. These are happy days.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I've never had a season ticket at the Withdean, in fact i've seen only 20 odd games there. I have however been to plenty of away games every season over the last 10 years, and like the majority of the people i meet up with at these games have purchased a season ticket for Falmer. Not because we are not 'real fans' but because the whole 'post Goldstone' era has been (a few promotions aside) a load of shit. It's us away fans that will bring the noise, you may well be one of them and I hope you are, but there are plenty of Brighton fans who have been waiting for the 6th August, just like me.

I'm hoping that The Amex is filled with people like you.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was thinking about this the other day. Although I imagine the majority, including myself, are seriously chuffed with the 12 month direct debit scheme, if we don't do so well in The Championship and start losing a few games, what is to stop someone simply cancelling the DD and not bothering anymore?

We are on the crest of the wave at the moment. One sure thing about waves is they will break. We will lose some of course (might be me) and there are sure to be times when we are rattling around the stadium. But not for a few years yet - and by then the Amex regulars will be well established.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think there are lots of our supporters like that - and it co-incided with the rise of the premiership so they do think of themselves as Arsenal or Spurs fans (or whoever). But they are football supporters who once are in the swing of watching all the home games will be like converts. These are happy days.

I'm not a convert I'm a returner... I still have a shed load of Brighton memorabilia in my mums attic in East Preston... I look forward to going through all my old programmes next time I'm there.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Has got me thinking.

I brought 3 season tickets and 1 of them hasn't been to withdean owing to the fact he is a non-league referee. However he has always been and will remain a Brighton fan. Next season he is given up refereeing. he was always a regular at the Goldstone. We don't support anyone else. we come from Brighton,we support Brighton. Simple as that.:bhasign:

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Has got me thinking.

if you look around the crowd at withdean you will see countless numbers of people spending more time on their iphones etc than watching the game. also no problem with jcl supporters the more season ticket holders the better as long as they spend money in the bars/kiosks etc.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My wilderness years were spent playing, managing, secretary, committee member of two non league Sussex clubs ... I still adore the non league scene. Last 5 years spent in London losing touch!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'm not a convert I'm a returner... I still have a shed load of Brighton memorabilia in my mums attic in East Preston... I look forward to going through all my old programmes next time I'm there.

I was deliberately trying not to make out I was talking about your situation. Everyone is different - but the good news is there are lots of Albion supporters coming back to the club, including ones who currently call themselves supporters of premiership clubs.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Wonder if my old Bukta shirt is still in the attic? hmmmm that'd be cool.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ha ha! Not a chance but if it is there it'll be finding a wall frame!

Brighton til I Die

May 22, 2010
The way I see it, those who arent full on die hards at the start of the season will be by the end of it, my biggest concern is how it will affect me when I want to go away, surely when they start this points scheme they should work out the points ammased from this season and maybe even last season and give the proper away following a head start. I will be mightely peeved if I cant travel to the games I want to because someones +3 has had it especially in view of how good we have ben away from home this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports