Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The JOCKS and Euro2016

I thought Danny Boyle was quite conciliatory on Radio 4 earlier, when he said that most Scots aren't any longer hoping for England to lose every game. I didn't quite catch what he said next, though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I thought Danny Boyle was quite conciliatory on Radio 4 earlier, when he said that most Scots aren't any longer hoping for England to lose every game. I didn't quite catch what he said next, though.
Probably something along the lines of it being so much of a formality these days that it's hardly worth hoping for. The only thing more cringeworthy than the porridge [edited by mod] dusting down their Argentina shirts (or Euro equivalent) every two years because their own team has failed to qualify AGAIN is the propensity for England to wheel out ancient footage of Geoff Hurst and the press bothering to quote Pele on how "England have a chance this time".

Last edited by a moderator:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
funny enough,I always cheer the jocks on at rugby when they play Ireland or Wales

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Half-time.

France 3-0 Scotland. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

"That's why you're staying home! That's why you're staying home! That's why you're staying home!"

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I think you mean Frankie Boyle. He said that there is a stereotype that most people in Scotland wanted to see England lose and they don't...they would much prefer to see their plane crash into an oil refinery.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Would of been great to have the jocks at Wembley again. Ive got a recipe for haggis flavoured jam and could of sold it from a stall to them before the match, reckon i could get £3.50 a jar for it to. Quids in for some beers after :drink:

Regards

DR

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was in my 40s before I realised the Scottish had an issue with us. It was when 2 of my work colleagues made it clear they wanted us to lose in a football match. It took me some time to get my head around this, as I always rooted for the other UK sides when in action. I put it down to jealousy. These two are both proddys, so they are supposedly not riven by centuries of grievance over land grabs, starvation, etc. These days I am indifferent to them, although I always pretend to be pleased when they make sprorting arses of themselves. Why live in England, have English kids who support England (as the kids of these fools do - much to daddy's annoyance) and still wear their bitterness as a badge of honour? Beats me.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The gift that keeps on giving. They must be GUTTED that every home nation is there except them.

They are proper turd though and that is probably backed up by giving Greer his debut at the age of 33 or whatever it was

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why don't you put on the T.V. and show the recordings of the last two rugby matches between England and Wales to him indoors. Oh dear, . . . . I do believe the mighty men in white were victorious on both occasions. Such is life. :cheers:

Oh I know, but you know what they're like. They only count the big games. That thrashing for England in Cardiff. The World Cup victory at Twickenham. I pointed out that Wales essentially failed at that tournament, as they went on to lose to Australia and then get knocked straight out in the next round by somebody they fancied their chances of beating (was it Argentina??). But they didn't care, as they beat England, so all was pretty much fine with them.

They like to downplay the ones they lose, so England winning the Grand Slam this season, or beating them in a friendly last week doesn't count, apparently :lol:

I hope we beat them in the football though. I'm not saying England are all that, but losing to a squad containing Simon Church and Hal Robson-Kanu would be up there with our more pathetic results :ohmy:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Half-time.

France 3-0 Scotland. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

"That's why you're staying home! That's why you're staying home! That's why you're staying home!"

I love it when the French sing in English.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think what's always slightly grated with me is that when the Scots go abroad to follow their team, get utterly shitfaced, piss in fountains, clamber all over ancient monuments and marble sculptures with their neeps & tatties hanging out from under their kilts for all to see, and turn majestic city centre plazas into giant cesspits filled with twenty thousand empty Tennents cans, everybody goes "Ah, it's just the loveable Tartan Army, havin' a great time".

Whereas anybody doing similar in an England shirt, of course (presumably minus the genitalia-exposing national costume), is probably going to be labelled a bloody hooligan.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think what's always slightly grated with me is that when the Scots go abroad to follow their team, get utterly shitfaced, piss in fountains, clamber all over ancient monuments and marble sculptures with their neeps & tatties hanging out from under their kilts for all to see, and turn majestic city centre plazas into giant cesspits filled with twenty thousand empty Tennents cans, everybody goes "Ah, it's just the loveable Tartan Army, havin' a great time".

Whereas anybody doing similar in an England shirt, of course (presumably minus the genitalia-exposing national costume), is probably going to be labelled a bloody hooligan.

You think we'd get a better reception if we exposed our genitalia more ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well I've just asked Mrs Wz (Glasgow born and bred) her opinion and it's 'What ? more bloody football - I thought the season had finished'

el punal

I was in my 40s before I realised the Scottish had an issue with us. It was when 2 of my work colleagues made it clear they wanted us to lose in a football match. It took me some time to get my head around this, as I always rooted for the other UK sides when in action. I put it down to jealousy. These two are both proddys, so they are supposedly not riven by centuries of grievance over land grabs, starvation, etc. These days I am indifferent to them, although I always pretend to be pleased when they make sprorting arses of themselves. Why live in England, have English kids who support England (as the kids of these fools do - much to daddy's annoyance) and still wear their bitterness as a badge of honour? Beats me.

You must have lived a very sheltered life!! My "spat" with our skirt wearing friends was back in 1978 when Ally's Tartan Warriors lost 1-0 to England prior to their World Cup trip to Argentina. I just happened to be in Scotland on business the following Monday, and needed to fill up with petrol at a local garage. An "incident" occurred with the local mechanics, which probably wasn't helped by me referring in jocular (!) terms to their 1-0 thrashing by the auld enemy. I just about managed to get away with them chasing me down the road armed with wheel braces and other items of pain deliverance.

Following this incident I was fortunate enough to be in a pub in Brighton with some friends and stayed to watch the Scotland v Peru World Cup match which was being shown on the pub TV. Scotland did magnificently well to lose 3-1. The result was matched by the reaction of two Scots fans who were absolutely spitting blood at the outcome.

Now if one is supposed to enjoy schadenfreude this was the moment, my cup was full. It was only recently, at the FA Cup final, has this euphoric feeling been repeated. :cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You must have lived a very sheltered life!! My "spat" with our skirt wearing friends was back in 1978 when Ally's Tartan Warriors lost 1-0 to England prior to their World Cup trip to Argentina. I just happened to be in Scotland on business the following Monday, and needed to fill up with petrol at a local garage. An "incident" occurred with the local mechanics, which probably wasn't helped by me referring in jocular (!) terms to their 1-0 thrashing by the auld enemy. I just about managed to get away with them chasing me down the road armed with wheel braces and other items of pain deliverance.

Following this incident I was fortunate enough to be in a pub in Brighton with some friends and stayed to watch the Scotland v Peru World Cup match which was being shown on the pub TV. Scotland did magnificently well to lose 3-1. The result was matched by the reaction of two Scots fans who were absolutely spitting blood at the outcome.

Now if one is supposed to enjoy schadenfreude this was the moment, my cup was full. It was only recently, at the FA Cup final, has this euphoric feeling been repeated. :cheers:

Yeah, I did live a sheltered life. I was brought up in Portslade :lolol:

Well, I learned my lesson. Had the English had a vote on Scottish independence I'd have voted Joxit for sure. Probably. Its all a bit sad, though, really. We are England, no one likes us, and that's disappointing, as they say in the world of politics :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here