Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Er, they absolutely do. We need them FAR more than they need us. It is utter delusion to suggest otherwise. We don't make enough "stuff" any more. We have to buy it all in.

You seem to think that because we are spending more money with them than the other way round, that somehow puts us in the driving seat. It doesn't. They will whack up tariffs and we will STILL buy from the EU because we can't make it ourselves.
Then our conversation is over, we will go elsewhere, we are a huge market and plenty of people want a slice of our business.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Then our conversation is over, we will go elsewhere, we are a huge market and plenty of people want a slice of our business.
Yes, China, NAFTA, (even Japan) will all dwarf our economies and treat us similarly. We will be fcked over when trading with pretty much every single major market. That is why we joined the common market in the first place.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Er, they absolutely do. We need them FAR more than they need us. It is utter delusion to suggest otherwise. We don't make enough "stuff" any more. We have to buy it all in.

You seem to think that because we are spending more money with them than the other way round, that somehow puts us in the driving seat. It doesn't. They will whack up tariffs and we will STILL buy from the EU because we can't make it ourselves.

Can anyone e4xplain to me how we actually PAY them? Is it denominated in Euros? In which case we are now paying even more in £ terms than we were before June 23rd.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I still think that if Corbyn is reelected as leader which seems likely the labour party will split. As long as one faction elects the right leader - David Miliband for me - then they are likely to see a big rise in the polls. Even to the extent of winning the next election or at least coming close.

i dont know which is sadder, those that support Corbyn blind to the consequences or those that pine for D Miliband 5 years after his failure. has there really been no other prospective leader since then? because that's why Corbyn won the first time, a lack of anything else of interest to the home crowd before even venturing to the country.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Funnily enough I don't believe you, seeing as you only ever refer to pro-EU people as "remoaners" and similar. I've been lurking on the referendum thread for several weeks now, and you can barely help yourself.

The fact is, the referendum is non binding and a paper thin majority anyway. The hypocrisy of some pro-brexiters insisting it be carried out on their terms when their own dear leader was warning it wouldn't be the end of it if it had finished 52-48 the other way, is breath-taking. And you're one of the worst of the lot.

Let's just see what kind of deal we are offered. Personally I suspect it will be utter pony.
You're not remoaning?

Wow!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You're not remoaning?

Wow!
Just don't pretend you'd have respect for an opposing point of view for whatever reason. You've clearly shown otherwise. You're intolerant to any other view but your own, as clearly demonstrated by the stamping of heels whenever it is suggested we have the chance to vote on the agreed deal. Hardly unreasonable considering the size of the majority and the nature of the campaign on both sides in the first place.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Nope, you're wrong. 52% are not rabidly Brexit - that's just nonsense. There will be plenty who are not sure they made the right choice. The election might just show that. Regardless, many of the 48% who correctly realise just what a crap idea coming out of the EU is, will rally to the Lib Dem cause.

In fact, I'll BET you £30 that their support doubles from the last election - loser pays REMF.

They have 8 seats and a 7.9% of the popular vote. If they win 16 seats and 15.8%, I win. If I lose on both measures, you win. If we split, call it a no-bet.

They've certainly done well in council by-elections recently, taking a fair number of seats from the Tories in Cornwall, where most of the seats are marginal, and increased their share of the vote in most of the others. Whether this will have any effect on the next General Election is another matter though. I will be especially interested in the results in Battersea, my constituency, and Putney, which had some of the highest Remain percentages in the referendum. I'm a Tory voter by the way, but hoping fervently that we stay in the Single Market. Several City firms are considering their options if that doesn't happen and a considerable number of large-scale building projects are on hold (told to me by people in the field, not from newspaper reports). Scaremongering you might say, but remember the City is responsible for most pensions, and pays a fair amount of the tax for the NHS, education, etc.

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes, China, NAFTA, (even Japan) will all dwarf our economies and treat us similarly. We will be fcked over when trading with pretty much every single major market. That is why we joined the common market in the first place.
Even Japan ?? Up until fairly recently they were the 2nd biggest economy on Earth.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Correct. 4th biggest these days I think, could be wrong. Either way, that's another trading area that will have us by the gonads.
Yes mate, bound to, they'll make it far more difficult for themselves to sell us electrical good, cars etc.

i dont know which is sadder, those that support Corbyn blind to the consequences or those that pine for D Miliband 5 years after his failure. has there really been no other prospective leader since then? because that's why Corbyn won the first time, a lack of anything else of interest to the home crowd before even venturing to the country.

Note quite sure where David Miliband failed, other than to decide not to fight with his brother when he knew the unions were likely to side with Ed.

I'm not saying he is the answer to Labour's need for a leader acceptable to floating voters, but his political position is far more likely to get him elected as PM than any more left or right wing candidate. As I said, General Elections are won (usually) by largely centreist polititians; pretty well the only exceptions in my lifetime (which goes WAY back!) were Thatcher and possibly Harold Wilson.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Note quite sure where David Miliband failed, other than to decide not to fight with his brother when he knew the unions were likely to side with Ed.

I'm not saying he is the answer to Labour's need for a leader acceptable to floating voters, but his political position is far more likely to get him elected as PM than any more left or right wing candidate. As I said, General Elections are won (usually) by largely centreist polititians; pretty well the only exceptions in my lifetime (which goes WAY back!) were Thatcher and possibly Harold Wilson.

David Miliband would have to get back into Parliament. At present, that looks highly unlikely, with the leftward way local parties are going. To me the best possible leaders for Labour would be Dan Jarvis, a family man with a real career behind him (he was an Army Major with a Military MBE for his service in Afghanistan), or perhaps Andy Burnham, arguably the most credible of the candidates who lost to Jeremy Corbyn last year. However, Jarvis doesn't appear to want the job, possibly because of losing his first wife and having young children to bring up (though a Google search shows he was thinking of a leadership bid, possibly in 2013). Burnham has won the Labour nomination for the Greater Manchester mayoral election, although it isn't certain that this will go ahead, as Theresa May is considerably less enthusiastic about regional devolution than George Osborne.

Simster - here is the link to the local government by-election results I was talking about: https://www.aldc.org/category/by-election-results/

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I thought Yvette Cooper would be a good candidate for the leadership but she can't escape the Ed Balls shadow and made a right cock up of her leadership bid. Disappointing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just don't pretend you'd have respect for an opposing point of view for whatever reason. You've clearly shown otherwise. You're intolerant to any other view but your own, as clearly demonstrated by the stamping of heels whenever it is suggested we have the chance to vote on the agreed deal. Hardly unreasonable considering the size of the majority and the nature of the campaign on both sides in the first place.

Says he man who linked the words 'rabid' and 'Brexit', and labelled those opposed to a second referendum as clowns!

Still, I've obviously upset you quite enough for one day, so I'll leave you with the last word. Whatever you say is right.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Let's just see what kind of deal we are offered. Personally I suspect it will be utter pony.

Well we'll have to see what comes from negotiations. Whatever happens, the deal will not be as bad as the woeful one David Cameron was offered by the EU leaders before the referendum. Many political commentators have stated that those leaders must be regretting the paucity of their generosity towards Britain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here