London

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd just ban flags. All of them.

They are weird and politicised. Including the massive Cornish one of my neighbours erected doing lockdown.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

They are weird and politicised. Including the massive Cornish one of my neighbours erected doing lockdown.
A thing of beauty

IMG_1255.jpeg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

They are weird and politicised. Including the massive Cornish one of my neighbours erected doing lockdown
I've got a mate who's Cornish and he reckons he'd just ban people who don't like the Cornish flag. All of them. Because he's thinks they're shitehouse.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry still not a flag fan.
I've got a mate who's Cornish and he reckons he'd just ban people who don't like the Cornish flag. All of them. Because he's thinks they're shitehouse.

Some other flags went up too. Not in a garden, this is the roof of the top floor flat on a high old Victorian building.

It has a flag poll. A bloody big flag pole.

There didn't seem to be any connection between them so I presume the resident is just a big flag fan.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Been at the rugby tonight in Nice - there were a LOT of Japanese flags on show I can tell you!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We're going to have a small Brazil one at the Bournemouth game so our friends back here can see us on TV 😁
Those baastards are chopping down the Amazon rain-forest... how dare you wave it, I am bloody offended.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My perspective is this:

It's a much cooler looking flag than the standard Japan flag, I can fully understand why someone would choose it to support Mitoma.

It does, however, have some quite negative connotations for various parts of Asia, particularly Korea where a number of long standing disputes resulting form the imperial actions of Japan in the not so distant past are still unresolved.

It isn't the national flag of Japan and the only people who I see flying it are the nationalists who drive around in black vans shouting racist and pro japan imperialist slogans. Your every day Japanese doesn't fly or use it(at least in my experience).

It's not a flag I'd recommend using to support Mitoma.

Edited to say: This is not a critique of the fans who had the flag, they almost definitely had absolutely no idea about the history/issues other Asian nations have concerning the flag. I just don't recommend using it again or anyone else buying one. Just use the normal flag.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Bit of a questionable move by whoever was waving it. Could cause a great deal of offence, and indeed has already been picked up on by some horrified Korean Twitter followers, amongst others (it's viewed in similar terms to a swastika in South Korea, and by many Chinese people).

Probably more sensitive to just take a normal Japanese flag, no?
I genuinely hadn’t even heard of this flag until your post, as they say every day is a school day and I certainly don’t mind being schooled by you 😉

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
My perspective is this:

It's a much cooler looking flag than the standard Japan flag, I can fully understand why someone would choose it to support Mitoma.

It does, however, have some quite negative connotations for various parts of Asia, particularly Korea where a number of long standing disputes resulting form the imperial actions of Japan in the not so distant past are still unresolved.

It isn't the national flag of Japan and the only people who I see flying it are the nationalists who drive around in black vans shouting racist and pro japan imperialist slogans. Your every day Japanese doesn't fly or use it(at least in my experience).

It's not a flag I'd recommend using to support Mitoma.

Edited to say: This is not a critique of the fans who had the flag, they almost definitely had absolutely no idea about the history/issues other Asian nations have concerning the flag. I just don't recommend using it again or anyone else buying one. Just use the normal flag.
By far the most sensible post on this matter.
The Imperial flag is accepted by the Japanese people. It's on their clothes and everywhere.
Erm what? Did you just make that up?
Koreans committed many of the Japanese crimes in ww2.
er, really??

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I had no idea what the Japanese Imperial Flag was before reading this thread and opening another browser tab and searching.

I'd probably have described it as "that Japanese rising sun thing".

I would hazard a guess that the Albion fans who had this flag may have thought of it in a similar way, and had no idea of the negative connotations of it. That's not to say that makes it OK, but I'd not be too damning on those who had it, who very possibly thought they were just looking to show Mitoma some love.
I was going to post something similar. We don’t all have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the history and development of the Japanese national flag.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Very poor and ignorant take.
I doubt it. You simply disagree. That’s different. But I hazard I could run rings around your knowledge of the Japanese Imperial army, and its conduct in WW2. Ignorant I am not, unlike your comment.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
There’s a Korean Seagulls Twitter page that’s very upset about.

I just had a click through to see what people were saying and lo and behold there are a couple of Japanese nationalists in the comments. Probably most of you are unfamiliar with these types but they will appear whenever they feel Japan might be being slighted in any way. They then unintentionally show everyone why it is some people might get upset with the kind of attitudes linked with that flag.
(And no, for the perpetual supporters of free speech, well my kind of free speech anyway, I'm not suggesting the people who had the flag at OT meant anything other than a show of support for Mitoma)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here