[Albion] The Japanese imperial flag in the away end at OT

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Unfair to compare it to the Swastika. It’s still often used in Japan. Admittedly you’re right about Korea not liking it. But neither do the Chinese, so ups and downs.

Wiki
At present, the flag is flown by the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, and an eight-ray version is flown by the Japan Self-Defense Forces and the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force.[2] The rising sun design is also seen in numerous scenes in daily life in Japan, such as in fishermen's banners hoisted to signify large catches of fish, flags to celebrate childbirth, and in flags for seasonal festivities.[4]

The flag is controversial in Korea and China, where it is associated with Japanese militarismand imperialism.[5][6][7]
The Swastika is not seen as offensive in Thailand, Nepal and other counties in that region. It is actually seen as a symbol of good luck and prosperity. Should we enforce western standards upon them?

Maybe just accept that no offence was intended by the flag and that very few people will have seen it in Korea and China?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We’ll stop doing this when you stop eating dogs!
IMG_1028.jpeg

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
It's quite funny seeing this as the first post on the board for me because I've just finished watching the highlights and celebrations of your match and was literally about to ask on here if anyone had noticed it, as it immediately stood out to me. But I also noticed it was flown by people who didn't seem to be Japanese.

I admit in my ignorance I thought it was the Imperial flag, while after skimming Wikipedia it turns out it's simply the Army and Navy flag; the national flag was and is the classic red circle on white. So it's not like it's the national symbol of WW2 Imperial Japan (that would be the Japanese flag that is still used today); the "radiant sun" flag was (and is still) "simply" its military flag. Also, it was used since the 1600s so it's not inherently linked to the 1900s.

Given that the people holding it didn't look Asian I'd say it's mostly a case of ignorance ("Wow we can use this cool design of the Japanese flag to show support for Mitoma"), and as for significance it simply doesn't make any sense to fly a military flag at a football match so it's just out of place.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Koreans committed many of the Japanese crimes in ww2. But regardless, can’t everyone just get a long without becoming hysterical over a f***ing flag that’s perfectly legitimate in the modern world despite what happened in the past. We are 3 generations on from back then, and it’s a football match not a reparations deal.

Very poor and ignorant take.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The Swastika is not seen as offensive in Thailand, Nepal and other counties in that region. It is actually seen as a symbol of good luck and prosperity. Should we enforce western standards upon them?

Maybe just accept that no offence was intended by the flag and that very few people will have seen it in Korea and China?
That version has the sticky out things going the other way. The nazis bastardised an existing flag/symbol.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bit of a questionable move by whoever was waving it. Could cause a great deal of offence, and indeed has already been picked up on by some horrified Korean Twitter followers, amongst others (it's viewed in similar terms to a swastika in South Korea, and by many Chinese people).

Probably more sensitive to just take a normal Japanese flag, no?
Good to be made aware of this. Let’s just not repeat it. And perhaps it can be politely mentioned to the flag owner so we can learn and move on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I shouldn't (you Blair-hating b'stard) but this is post of the month for me.

It reminds me of a tale told by a pal years ago.

A woman is in a Tesco queue and her kid is playing up like there's no tomorrow
Eventually the mother gives the kid a slap.
The man behind, says in a German accent: "In Germany we don't slap our children"
Irate mother replies "Oh really? In England we don't gas our Jews".

I'll delete this post in a little while in case a casual reader stumbles upon it and misses the context.
Just because I dislike slimy lying Blair doesn’t make me a bastard....my mum married the milkman :thumbsup:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports