Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Japanese imperial flag in the away end at OT

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is that really true or as I suspect just something people say like “I have told you a thousand times”
Do you not keep up with anything. Yes, factually it might not be true but as an observation I'm pretty certain most would agree that in this day an age it is very easy for people to take offence. Sometimes people take offence and it is well and truly justified and sometimes it isn't. If just one person protests about something are you saying that one thing should be stopped?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
well, that’s a bit like me asking if you’re a kanute? “The Koreans” isn’t a single entity you know. FFS, you are as stupid on everything as well as ww2 history? As for “the first time you’ve heard”, are you so arrogant as to believe what you don’t know yet isn’t therefore true? What a kanute…Your total lack of knowledge on the subject comparatively is telling. And just because of that, you really ought to pipe down, and do some further study or have listened to the vets before they all died.
Who are these vets you keep vaguely alluding to? I'm guessing that's why you think you know everything and anyone else knows nothing.
Your attitude on this thread is bizarre.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Obviously, you're quite passionate about this but it might be better to calm down a bit.

Yes, Koreans did have a reputation for being particularly brutal prison guards during the war and a fair number were convicted of war crimes. It's still a bit hyperbolic to claim they committed "many of the Japanese crimes", isn't it?

Anyway, the fact that there were some keen collaborators doesn't negate the fact that in the years before and during WW2 the Korean language was banned and their peoples massacred and enslaved. Koreans understandably hold some resentment to the Japanese for that and towards the flag.

So you can ask "what about the colloborators?!" or we could just say it'd be better if people didn't wave that particular flag in future.
Probably. And yes I do, I really do, and because I knew and have spoken to veterans, visited on pilgrimages those tropical camps. Taken the time to read, watch and listen. Thousands of hours worth. When you get some little oink mocking and knowing it all when they’ve clearly no f***ing idea, then I’m obliged to ram it and ram it hard back down their ignorant throats. The barbarity of many Koreans serving in the Japanese army is well know, except to these two idiots who haven’t a clue. Arguing blue is pink all day long rather than admit they’re wrong. Completely so. But at least you’ve acknowledged so maybe now they go educate themselves. When you’ve seen and listened to some old men cry, the hatred still burning in their eyes, at what they endured and many succumbed to, then you too would take umbrage with their like.

As for the flag, I wish people could move on. It’s still a national flag. Not like the swastika. Lots of people hate the Union flag and can argue the same. Where does it all end? It’s just a flag, not raised or waved with malicious intent. Live and let live, especially since it’s a long long time ago now. Hardly anyone alive or old enough to remember so the offence, if taken, is all inherited and fairly typical of the last few years ie find it where doesn’t exist.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Sorry, I'm not 100% following what you're saying. Are you saying the hinomaru - the red disc on the white background - is actually called the imperial flag and the one with the rays of the sun isn't called the imperial flag?

If so, I didn't know that.

Whatever it's called the flag with the sun rays isn't the national flag, it's a military one and is closely associated with Japan's former militarism and imperialism and, like you say, shouldn't be (knowingly)used at the football.
Yeah sorry I didn't explain myself very well - the hinomaru has been the flag of the country (aka the national flag) since 1870, be it the empire or modern Japan.

The flag with the sun rays is, as you say, the military's flag.

And we agree on the rest :thumbsup:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Probably. And yes I do, I really do, and because I knew and have spoken to veterans, visited on pilgrimages those tropical camps. Taken the time to read, watch and listen. Thousands of hours worth. When you get some little oink mockiand knowing it all when they’ve clearly no f***ing idea, then I’m obliged to ram it and ram it hard back down their ignorant throats. The barbarity of many Koreans serving in the Japanese army is well know, except to these two idiots who haven’t a clue. Arguing blue is pink all day long rather than admit they’re wrong. Completely so. But at least you’ve acknowledged so maybe now they go educate themselves. When you’ve seen and listened to some old men cry, the hatred still burning in their eyes, at what they endured and many succumbed to, then you too would take umbrage with their like.

As for the flag, I wish people could move on. It’s still a national flag. Not like the swastika. Lots of people hate the Union flag and can argue the same. Where does it all end? It’s just a flag, not raised or waved with malicious intent. Live and let live, especially since it’s a long long time ago now. Hardly anyone alive or old enough to remember so the offence, if taken, is all inherited and fairly typical of the last few years ie find it where doesn’t exist.
No one has mocked you, you’ve just been incredibly rude and aggressive because you feel you know better than anyone else.
Perhaps you should have qualified your comment ‘Koreans committed many of the Japanese crimes in ww2.’ rather than abusing a Korean who took exception with it. It’s plainly ridiculous.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Has anyone thought of the financial side of pissing off the Chinese. I reckon they’ll be the ones who buy Brighton. Don’t fall for all Blooms nonsense…… the jury is still out on him .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Has anyone thought of the financial side of pissing off the Chinese. I reckon they’ll be the ones who buy Brighton. Don’t fall for all Blooms nonsense…… the jury is still out on him .
Every man has his price and the man who says he can't be bought has the highest price of all

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
For personal reasons I didn’t like that Israeli flag that someone used to fly in the North, however it’s not my fight so I just ignored it. I went on the basis it was for Hemed
Basically this. always someone getting offended on behalf of someone else.
Classic on Saturday during the minutes silence, heard someone shout out UNITED at the other end of the ground, and a few in our end started ssshhhh’ing . Adding to the noise.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Do you not keep up with anything. Yes, factually it might not be true but as an observation I'm pretty certain most would agree that in this day an age it is very easy for people to take offence. Sometimes people take offence and it is well and truly justified and sometimes it isn't. If just one person protests about something are you saying that one thing should be stopped?
No of course not I am not saying that for all issues but in this instance it’s a flag and it’s the wrong flag and in some quarters it’s offensive so don’t wave it and instead replace it for £2.99 on Amazon

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No of course not I am not saying that for all issues but in this instance it’s a flag and it’s the wrong flag and in some quarters it’s offensive so don’t wave it and instead replace it for £2.99 on Amazon
But it's not the wrong flag. It's a flag still in use in Japan and, apparently, not because they have expansionism intentions. The cross of St George or Union Jack is offensive in some areas but that doesn't mean we're going to stop waving it just because on tv someone might see it and be offended. I think if we were playing a friendly in Korea then that would be a different matter.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Basically this. always someone getting offended on behalf of someone else.
Classic on Saturday during the minutes silence, heard someone shout out UNITED at the other end of the ground, and a few in our end started ssshhhh’ing . Adding to the noise.
:LOL: Recently someone at work sent a nuanced (i.e., irrelevant to almost everyone) email to a massive mailing list. Cue literally hundreds of people sending replies along the lines of 'please take me off your mailing list' ccd to the whole f***ing mailing list, followed by dozens of follow up emails asking that people to not reply ccd to all, with the messages ccd to all. This went on for several hours. I work at one of the UK's top universities/hospitals. f***ing ****s everywhere. :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here