Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Japanese imperial flag in the away end at OT

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My grandfather was a PoW, held by the Japanese and missing presumed dead for a couple of years. Brought back a wooden cup the guards used to drink out of.

I'd ask him about flags but I never met him. Cool cup though.
My grandfather died in a German concentration camp.

He fell out of a watchtower.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'll have to be waving my pilot skull and crossbones kamikaze flag just for the pleasure of offending all the wet wipe wokey woke wokes

It's not the wokey wokes who are offended. It's the people whose families were oppressed, enslaved and slaughtered under the banner of that flag. Their dislike for it isn't hard to understand.

What you may find is that the wokey wokes are able to engage their brain and acknowledge the flag in question is problematic.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My Grandmother was born in Calcutta and then moved to Rangoon, her brother and father fought in Burma against the Japanese in the jungles. I obviously never got to meet my great grandfather, as he was killed during the war by the Japanese, My uncle Bal said the Japanese were the cruellest people during war and the nicest during peace time. This never put me off going to Japan as it is an amazing country, at the end of the day, people have different feelings about different things, to me it is just a flag, I don't think any malice was meant.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
What you may find is that the wokey wokes are able to engage their brain and acknowledge the flag in question is problematic.
It’s no more problematic than The Union Jack, the Chinese flag, the American flag. The Turkish flag, The Russian flag. All those flags have a similar history of brutality.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It’s no more problematic than The Union Jack, the Chinese flag, the American flag. The Turkish flag, The Russian flag. All those flags have a similar history of brutality.

The fact is South Korea and a few other Asian nations associate the flag in question with Japan's imperial atrocities. This isn't controversy that's been consigned to history. There was a big debate around it in the lead up to the Tokyo Olympics.

Obviously, it's not offensive to many over here but there's no need to dismiss the grievances of those involved.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
The fact is South Korea and a few other Asian nations associate the flag in question with Japan's imperial atrocities. This isn't controversy that's been consigned to history. There was a big debate around it in the lead up to the Tokyo Olympics.

Obviously, it's not offensive to many over here but there's no need to dismiss the grievances of those involved.
Grievances is one thing, but we don’t have any right to take these flags away or moderate our own on behalf of some Koreans/Chinese. This is complex issue and there is a western instinct to be the guardians of right and wrong. When we often makes things worse.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Grievances is one thing, but we don’t have any right to take these flags away or moderate our own on behalf of some Koreans/Chinese. This is complex issue and there is a western instinct to be the guardians of right and wrong. When we often makes things worse.

I'm not saying we need to ban them. I'm sure if the flag wavers knew they were at risk of offending millions of foreign viewers, and alienating a part of our global fanbase, they'd opt for an alternative.

That's not westerners being arbiters of what's right and wrong. It's just one man with a flag buying a new flag.

Shame, as the rising sun flag is a very cool design.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
It's not the wokey wokes who are offended. It's the people whose families were oppressed, enslaved and slaughtered under the banner of that flag. Their dislike for it isn't hard to understand.

Typical wokey woke woke engaging their brain to be offended on everyone else's behalf, it's actually a Japanese naval flag used extensively today not only by the Japanese navy but japanese fishermen to celebrate a large catch, perhaps you should be offended by the stars and stripes incase it upsets an Islamic terrorist

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
No one is talking about taking flags away or being offended, like some of the culture warriors want to make it look. A sensible poster suggested, sensibly, that the Japanese imperial flag probably isn't the best flag to wave seeing as how it's perceived by millions of Asian people. No blame attached to flag waver, just something to think about.
I'm wondering what angle you are coming from because your original point about Japanese people wearing it and it being everywhere is objectively, such complete horseshit, I assume you just made it up to back up your point?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Typical wokey woke woke engaging their brain to be offended on everyone else's behalf, it's actually a Japanese naval flag used extensively today not only by the Japanese navy but japanese fishermen to celebrate a large catch, perhaps you should be offended by the stars and stripes incase it upsets an Islamic terrorist

I'm not offended by it. As I said earlier, it's a cool design. I am aware of its history though. And of its current use.

Was it a Japanese fisherman waving it at the match the other day after a good haul of mackerel? Or a mother celebrating the birth of a child, perhaps?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
7znj4s.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This woke bashing drivel is merely marking you out as hard of thinking. Most people on here aren't offended by it at all - this is a thread started because a Korean fan objects to a Japanese flag being waved, with its associated imperial implications.

As has been said before, was the flag waver celebrating a large catch of mackerel then? If not, why are you so stupid as to conflate that with that flag being waved at a football match?

For what it's worth, my opinion is that a Korean has a right to be offended by that flag, but should be big enough to gloss over it when seeing it being waved by a European at a Brighton football match as it is clear that no offence was intended.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
:facepalm:
Have you actually been paying attention at the back?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
For what it's worth, my opinion is that a Korean has a right to be offended by that flag, but should be big enough to gloss over it when seeing it being waved by a European at a Brighton football match as it is clear that no offence was intended.
This is true, but never going to happen. And that doesn't take in to account the Chinese either! Fact of the matter is, it is a problem for millions of people, so probably best to reconsider. Shame, as it does look much cooler!
One other thing people haven't considered is Mitoma himself might not like it. Plenty of Japanese do actively dislike it.

How about the Kawasaki City flag to make Mitoma feel at home?
1695129171537.png

Or even better, Kawasaki City's mascot
1695129219999.png

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is true, but never going to happen. And that doesn't take in to account the Chinese either! Fact of the matter is, it is a problem for millions of people, so probably best to reconsider. Shame, as it does look much cooler!
One other thing people haven't considered is Mitoma himself might not like it. Plenty of Japanese do actively dislike it.

How about the Kawasaki City flag to make Mitoma feel at home?
View attachment 166670
Or even better, Kawasaki City's mascot
View attachment 166671
Yes, we agree. I simply wouldn't wave it.

As for those two alternative flags, I'm afraid they're both absolutely shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here