Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The - I've been somewhere no one else has - thread

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
One of the most beautiful places I've been to is Aitutaki atoll in the south pacific 200 miles from Rarotonga, quite stunning and not stupidly expensive (like French Polynesia) as can be visited on a stop off back from NZ for an extra c£100 or so (plus flight from Rarotonga c£199)

Attachments

• aitutaki44 copy.jpg
    aitutaki44 copy.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 134

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
One of the most beautiful places I've been to is Aitutaki atoll in the south pacific 200 miles from Rarotonga, quite stunning and not stupidly expensive (like French Polynesia) as can be visited on a stop off back from NZ for an extra c£100 or so (plus flight from Rarotonga c£199)

Not been to Aitutaki, but I did walk around the entire coastline of Rarotonga. All the locals thought I was mad... But it's only 20km and flat all the way. And quite a novelty to follow the same road without turning around, and still end up where you started from 4 hours later...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Been to the Greyhound Bus Station there many many moons ago and it was a dump if I recall correctly.

I've been in quite a few Greyhound Bus Stations in the US and Canada, and I don't recall a single one that wasn't a dump.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
There was a few of us swindon fans a few years ago that set up a sort of travellers club, whenever we went away some where we would take a swindon shirt with us and give it to someone who had a touristy kind of job. For instance the ferry driver of the manamuca yellow ferry in fiji, or the bar manager of bar milan in mexico city. The proviso was if anyone asked who the shirt was they had to reply "I hate Oxford" :)

Would f***ing love it if an oxford fan ever met one of these people in a totally remote place :)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There was a few of us swindon fans a few years ago that set up a sort of travellers club, whenever we went away some where we would take a swindon shirt with us and give it to someone who had a touristy kind of job. For instance the ferry driver of the manamuca yellow ferry in fiji, or the bar manager of bar milan in mexico city. The proviso was if anyone asked who the shirt was they had to reply "I hate Oxford" :)

Would f***ing love it if an oxford fan ever met one of these people in a totally remote place :)

In that case the only place you'll see a Palace shirt is wiping the floor in a caravan park toilet.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull

Would they still have the Swinedon shirt or would it have been converted to toilet paper?

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Many years ago i went to uni with an oxford fan, he had drained the toilet in his house and stuck a panini swindon badge on the bottom of the u bend so he could shit on swindon :)

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Kununurra's well weird innit.

I really liked it though, stayed there 3 months.

Very. I drove there from Darwin in 2007, stayed three nights in a hostel with the missus and pissed it up with three teachers from Tasmania who were running bush schools for the aborigines on their hols.

We found one bar with the biggest doormen this side of the Great Barrier Reef, they were very strict. After dark the local aborigines came out to sit under trees and get wasted on cheap beer. One of their elders had died and more than usual were drinking and fighting, according to the local fuzz who warned us to stay together as we walked back to the hostel. Bizarro place, great parks around there though.

Here's a place not many have been DG - on the 83 bus to Oldham from Lever Street, then the 409 back from Boundary Park eh? :thumbsup:

I take it you got back home ok then saturday?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Kununurra's well weird innit.

I really liked it though, stayed there 3 months.

I quite like its middle-of-nowhere feel.

The best part for me was doing a scenic flight over the Bungle Bungles - not cheap, but worth every cent.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Very. I drove there from Darwin in 2007, stayed three nights in a hostel with the missus and pissed it up with three teachers from Tasmania who were running bush schools for the aborigines on their hols.

We found one bar with the biggest doormen this side of the Great Barrier Reef, they were very strict. After dark the local aborigines came out to sit under trees and get wasted on cheap beer. One of their elders had died and more than usual were drinking and fighting, according to the local fuzz who warned us to stay together as we walked back to the hostel. Bizarro place, great parks around there though.

Here's a place not many have been DG - on the 83 bus to Oldham from Lever Street, then the 409 back from Boundary Park eh? :thumbsup:

I take it you got back home ok then saturday?

I remember going to the same bar every friday night and they'd always play that men at work 'land down under' song. I stayed in Kununurra backpackers (near kelly's knob :lolol: ), two brothers who run it top blokes. Where did you stay? You meet some interesting types there, loved it! I loved the Aborigines too though they were a bit scary :ohmy: feel sorry for them though, they're all f***ed. Only ever met one sober one who was working on a banana plantation with me (In Tully, QLD). Every day was the same too, 33-35c and not a cloud in sight. Darwin-Kunurra us a fair old treck, i remember doing Kun-Dar via Kakadu National park (took forever to get there).

Yea the buses were a mission and a half prob not many albion fans that did that.

Yea got back alright was on the train with Rams fans coming back from Sheff they kept singing Tony Bloom songs hahaha.

Soz for running off at the station too, i was dying for a pee :D

You must have been knakkered when you got back :)

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I quite like its middle-of-nowhere feel.

The best part for me was doing a scenic flight over the Bungle Bungles - not cheap, but worth every cent.

I didn't really do anything activities wise, went fishing alot, caught lots of barramundi :drool: and just chilled out :D

That must have been special flying over the Bungle Bungles.

Ok i got 3 more

all in Western Australia

Leeman
Jurien Bay
York

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Which ones? Have been to a few.

I think it was in/near Caracol, its the largest and from which you can look into Guatemala only a few miles away.

Back at ya :thumbsup: 1988 - Belize (& some old ruins), last year - Herat

BTW, did you stay in the Silk Road Hotel when you were in Bamiyan?

Silk Road Hotel? Are you joking? Doss bag at the side of the runway! :wink:

Just thought of another, the walkway bridge between the two Petronas towers in Kuala lumpur. I was honestly crapping my pants when i got out of that elevator, its just wrong standing that high off the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here