Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ipswich comparison

el punal

Sami is also the manager you were all in favour of, just 3 months ago.

Exactly! Provided we don't have a cataclysmic run of defeats to the new year Sami Hyypia will still be in charge. Frustrating as it is at present on the pitch, I still believe that we have quality players in the squad to achieve a better standard of football than currently on offer.

It is the inconsistency that is so annoying, reflected in the three games over the last week. At Bournemouth we played with pride and passion and were unlucky to lose. Against Wigan, we scored and hung on for 89 minutes for an undeserved win. And, yesterday, we again go into the lead and again concede just after half-time. Thereafter, we again seem to take the wrong options with the final pass or cross.

To sum up, we seem to be in a kind of limbo land. Not bad enough (at the moment) to be relegated but certainly not good enough to challenge for a play-off spot. The football that we are playing, in the main, is lack lustre and indecisive with the odd moments of quick incisive passing that looks promising but fails to deliver. It would be reckless on that basis to get rid of Hyypia, despite many fans clamouring for him to go (and who do we replace him with) and then have to start the whole process again. Like it or lump it he is a long term fixture and we, as long suffering Albion fans, just have to be patient and hope that whatever strategy he comes up with will prove successful.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
OK. Here's another way to look at it.

Would Mick McCarthy do a better job with our current players than Sami?

My feeling is yes.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

My feeling is yes.

This is a very good point. I said the other day if Tony Pulis was to be offered the job tomorrow, he would probably take one look at the squad and think there is not a lot he can do with it. The quality is there i'm sure, with the likes of Paddy and Teix but we are so physically weak for this division and have a lack of winners in the squad. Who is there that you can see rally the troops and stick a firecracker up players arse's, when our backs are against the wall???...No one, as far as I can see. Where are the Oatway's, the Carpenter's and the Cullip's???...Would McCarthy get more out of this squad than Hyypia??? Yes I believe he would. Would he make us a play off side??? No I don't believe so. There is some quality there but there is no passion and fight and that partly comes from the coaching staff and the wrong type of players bought in.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

My feeling is yes.
Well I just checked how Ipswich did at home to Blackburn a couple of weeks ago and er anyway, is that the time?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
.Haven't you ever seen a bird who you really fancied and got it on with. Only to find out a few weeks later without the make up, she is actually a bit of a pig???

Classy. I bet that happens all the time to a handsome, muscular, male-model candidate such as yourself.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
They might be complying with the rules like we are BUT, they are not hampered in the same way we are as they don't have that idiot Burke in charge of the cheap player recruitment.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I would immediately bring in somebody like Lennie Lawrence to help Sami or if needed ask him if he wants somebody he knows and could work with from his days at Liverpool, somebody in the mould of Terry McDermott, although I think he is working for a club.
I agree, and Lennie Lawrence would be perfect I suspect.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yep you are 100% right. I was fully behind Sammi and his appointment, I won't deny that...Since then we have seen he is clueless and we have steadily been going backwards not getting better. Then you hear his interviews and he doesn't sound like he has any idea how to turn things round.....Haven't you ever seen a bird who you really fancied and got it on with. Only to find out a few weeks later without the make up, she is actually a bit of a pig???

Perhaps we have it all wrong? I remain on the fence with Sami,prepaired to wait a while longer...

Ok he's no stunner but i am no Brad Pitt either.....Plain Jane to the eye's of the masses could be the right one,enhanced with some eye linner and lippy become a beauty,free without bagage and have the natural look to carry it off.

Look for the beauty within and the outside will shine through.....

Look for the beauty outside and you might miss everything else.....

Good god what have you got me posting KTR? :lolol:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
They might be complying with the rules like we are BUT, they are not hampered in the same way we are as they don't have that idiot Burke in charge of the cheap player recruitment.

With respect to you, I would be rather wary of posting such a comment which is personally insulting, and I would be very cross to read that if I were Mr Burke. In a court of law you would have to prove he is an idiot -something which would be very hard to do. I fully agree that the recruitment seems on the surface not to have worked, which is probably putting it mildly -the league tables don't lie as Mickey Adams used to say - but you cannot possibly be in a position to make such a remark. How do you know that Mr Burke did not advocate totally different new recruits and was over- ruled or the targets that he chose were simply not available. I am as frustrated as you are, but it is conjecture as to who is responsible, or indeed if any one person is to blame.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Could it be that Sammy Lee foresaw the problems we would have and jumped ship before boarding it?

It could and could it also be that Saint's the Premier and RK offered a nicer proposition...

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You can have our dinosaur if you want !

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
With respect to you, I would be rather wary of posting such a comment which is personally insulting, and I would be very cross to read that if I were Mr Burke. In a court of law you would have to prove he is an idiot -something which would be very hard to do. I fully agree that the recruitment seems on the surface not to have worked, which is probably putting it mildly -the league tables don't lie as Mickey Adams used to say - but you cannot possibly be in a position to make such a remark. How do you know that Mr Burke did not advocate totally different new recruits and was over- ruled or the targets that he chose were simply not available. I am as frustrated as you are, but it is conjecture as to who is responsible, or indeed if any one person is to blame.
A personal insult whilst not pleasant and usually unnecessary is not actionable in law unless it is also libellous. If it was there would be some very dull newspaper articles, on line threads and discussion programs. I don't agree with Trigger but defend his right to say it.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Do you have any evidence of that?

Murray = CMS (transfer fee and wages), Painter (wages), Vokes (Wages) & Ulloa (fee and wages) his fee to Leicester probably just about covers the failures and his fee

Barnes = Rodriguez (wages), O'Grady (fee and wages), Baldock (fee wages) etc

All the Summer permanent signings now either being replaced with loans or looking to be replaced in January

Are what instantly springs to mind.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
A personal insult whilst not pleasant and usually unnecessary is not actionable in law unless it is also libellous. If it was there would be some very dull newspaper articles, on line threads and discussion programs. I don't agree with Trigger but defend his right to say it.

Thanks for the clarification and if you say so with such authority, then I am sure you are right -I am not a legal expert and bow to your knowledge. We are agreed that it is largely unnecessary and unpleasant, and if it is legal then I suppose there is nothing that can be done about such comments -it does strike me as a very slippery slope, however, if we are defending his right to say such things. I am not being critical at all, just interested, but if he had written that said Albion employee is a cxxt, would his right to say that, also be defendable, or would it then come under obscenity laws etc

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Thanks for the clarification and if you say so with such authority, then I am sure you are right -I am not a legal expert and bow to your knowledge. We are agreed that it is largely unnecessary and unpleasant, and if it is legal then I suppose there is nothing that can be done about such comments -it does strike me as a very slippery slope, however, if we are defending his right to say such things. I am not being critical at all, just interested, but if he had written that said Albion employee is a cxxt, would his right to say that, also be defendable, or would it then come under obscenity laws etc
To use that language might be a criminal offence but not a civil one. If a nut job starts swearing at you he could get arrested.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Said last season McCarthy is a quality manager at this level and was met with responses of 'nothing special' etc. Also interesting to note 4 of current top 6 clubs have British managers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here