Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Internet .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When I used to walk to work in Brighton, I used to listen to the radio on the way in. I can distinctly remember listening to news reports about an "Information Super Highway" that had been invented, that connected computers up around the world, and when it was rolled out it would completely change the world as we knew it.
What year was that?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For me, that would be as recently as 2000.
But that's when you joined it I guess, but I meant when did Easy hear them talking on the radio about this new fangled thing.

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
No Internet would make teaching online rather more challenging than it already is!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd miss it, I admit - but I managed 50 odd years without it, and it wouldn't kill me to do it again (live without it, that is, but probably not for a further 50 years!)

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
It astounds me how technology has moved on so fast...I remember as a kid back in the early 70's seeing on Tomorrows World where they were talking about satnav, I never thought I would see it in my life time...how wrong was I...

I was in communications in the Royal Navy and one ship I joined in 85 was brand spanking and had millions of pounds worth of gear in the Main Comms Office....transmitters/receivers all over the place. Sat comms were just coming in....I did a lot of crypto and that was pretty archaic..

I went back to the same ship in 2011 when she de-commissioned. I got to see the comms office and all the gear in there had been replaced with just a few computer terminals over the years...

I struggle to get my head round where we will go next...I can't imagine I will ever need any more than I have already got with computers, phones and tablets....but I said that when I bought my first Commodore C64......

Where next????????

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
internet or WWW? you know the difference, right?

either way working in IT, no couldnt do without it. at home, times i wish i could, its a massive distraction or excuse not to get stuff done. but then so are games, TV, even books when one thinks about it.
Yeah books are always distracting me so I never read them!
Anyway no, I couldn't live without it.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
3D printing is the next big thing, and the next major expansion to the internet.

In the 2020's, we will all know someone with a 3D printer in their homes. We will be able to download blueprints from the internet of countless useful items - from screwdrivers to spare parts - then print them to make a physical copy.

Initially, this will largely be plastic based - but by the 2030's we will be printing with various other materials, including metals.
My "intellectual" mate said to me, in the next 30 years the majority of jobs will be done by robots/computers, and the human race will become obsolete

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's known as "technological unemployment" - it's something that has always been feared, a famous example being by the Luddites, but new jobs have always taken their place.

However the rate of which technology is improving, coupled with the efficiency of capitalism, means that we should probably be preparing for a future where there are simply less jobs to do.

...but that doesn't mean the human race will become obsolete, but rather that we can concentrate our efforts on other things - creativity, humanitarianism, or perhaps just an improved existence with more free time to spend on our hobbies or with our friends and families.
I like the sound of have more free time to get p!ssed but how will people afford it when there's no jobs and ever increasing rent/bills

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I like the sound of have more free time to get p!ssed but how will people afford it when there's no jobs and ever increasing rent/bills

there will be other jobs. 200 years ago we were largely working on the land and about a 1/6th the population. mechanised farming now occupies a small single digit workforce, yet we still have tens of millions employed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here