Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The injustice against Liverpool

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I understand the schadenfreude side of things, I really do. But…

I just don’t want to see it, full stop. Whether that’s against Liverpool, us, Chelsea or even Palace.

These bad decisions undermine the sport, it’s hypocritical to laugh at others getting shafted with terrible incompetence, then expect sympathy when it inevitably happens to us again. And given that, factually, it has happened to us more than any other team in Premier League history, I take no joy in normalisation of these dreadful f*** ups

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Mike Dean's 'mates' will be looking for any opportunity to even things up.

Useless corrupt ****s

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Liverpool were absolutely robbed and it's a disgrace. I hope it's just a coincidence that Spurs were the beneficiaries, as they were last season against us.

But it's sticking in the throat a bit that the entire UK football media seems to be in agreement that this cannot stand and Something Must Be Done, because when it happened to us their response was just "ah well, them's the breaks"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Liverpool were absolutely robbed and it's a disgrace. I hope it's just a coincidence that Spurs were the beneficiaries, as they were last season against us.

But it's sticking in the throat a bit that the entire UK football media seems to be in agreement that this cannot stand and Something Must Be Done, because when it happened to us their response was just "ah well, them's the breaks"
’It’ happened five times to us, in one season. Five written apologies.
i wish one club, maybe more would sue PGMOL.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
It was Darren England who reffed our game at home against Fulham last season which I think was a fairly universally criticised performance from him. RDZ got sent off for saying to his face what the majority of the crowd and pundits and commentators were saying too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I take no pleasure in it at all. VAR should go until the people using it are vaguely competent. At the moment it’s ruining the fan experience, yet there are still patently incorrect decisions.

And, yes, I know VAR gave us two pens, correctly, against AEK but take the safety blanket away and the on field refs have to start concentrating again.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
We have a multi billion pound industry
And it is subject to human error as it always was.

The problem, as well as making the live supporter experience a joke), is that the potential for human error has now increased with the introduction of a system that has been poorly introduced and is being poorly managed.

It was always going to be this way.

Human’s manage the system. So now you have the potential for double human error, using a technology that isn’t perfect.

Correct on field decisions overturned. Incorrect on field decisions not overturned
Yes, there are a few obvious offside decisions where the system has been used correctly but the vast majority of VAR decisions appear to be on marginal calls for offside, red cards, handball etc etc.
And there were always marginal calls for offside, red cards, handball etc before VAR.

So what was the point?

Looks like Liverpool may want to test the resolve of the PGMOL and the Premier League. I think that the Albion should have started this last year.

It just can’t be allowed to continue like this

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I understand the schadenfreude side of things, I really do. But…

I just don’t want to see it, full stop. Whether that’s against Liverpool, us, Chelsea or even Palace.

These bad decisions undermine the sport, it’s hypocritical to laugh at others getting shafted with terrible incompetence, then expect sympathy when it inevitably happens to us again. And given that, factually, it has happened to us more than any other team in Premier League history, I take no joy in normalisation of these dreadful f*** ups
This. It’s ruining the game. I’d rather have the spontaneity and the odd ‘in good faith’ bad decision from the man in the middle than the breathtaking incompetence and inconsistency we’re seeing over and over again from VAR officials.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My worry is that they will over compensate next weekend. What price Liverpool getting someone sent off, us getting a penalty or any other tight VAR decision?

My money is on every 50/50 going the red way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the onside was not as clear as being made out, incompetance that they managed to fudge up apparently saying the wrong thing. the red card on Bissouma was worse use of technology, not necessarily the outcome but the ref getting shown a still making it look far worse than it was.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This. It’s ruining the game. I’d rather have the spontaneity and the odd ‘in good faith’ bad decision from the man in the middle than the breathtaking incompetence and inconsistency we’re seeing over and over again from VAR officials.
Do you really though? I remember us being 1-0 down to Liverpool and Kevin Friend not only bottled giving Robertson a second yellow he then decided to give him a three minute lecture during injury time and then blew the whistle for full time :tosser: all aimed to get Liverpool the win of course.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I take no pleasure in it at all. VAR should go until the people using it are vaguely competent. At the moment it’s ruining the fan experience, yet there are still patently incorrect decisions.

And, yes, I know VAR gave us two pens, correctly, against AEK but take the safety blanket away and the on field refs have to start concentrating again.
But I think they were competent Spanish var officials, no?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Look at rugby. It's miles more complicated to officiate than football. There's random s*** going on everywhere, yet the officials are obviously competent and when you're playing, spectating or on TV, any decision or review is clearly explained in a logical way and everyone has an idea what is going on.

Now, i'm not saying every decision is right. There's actually been one or two decisions arrived at which I strongly disagree with in this world cup. But the difference is, the officials and the processes are respected, and the reason why they are respected is the transparency. In football, every decision is still shrouded in mystery which completely adds to the impression they are making it up as they go along.

I agree with those saying, the scousers are going to get everything given to them at the weekend.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

But that will NEVER happen; there will always be human error. Unless there is change those who say "VAR is fine, it's just the people operating it" will still be saying the same thing in ten, twenty, thirty years' time.

Among the many, many threads we've had on this the best one was a discussion about a Guardian article where a top ref said that people think that refereeing is an exact science done badly, and that every decision is either 'right' or 'wrong', whereas it is way more nuanced than that. All VAR is is another layer of fallible decision-making imposed over the top of the existing fallible decision-making. The belief that just because the VAR officials have computers and stuff that they could and should get everything right is quite naive.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’ve said it before, and I will say it again.

There is nothing wrong with VAR. The problem is with the idiots who are manning it. And the way the Premier League uses it.

We could automate offsides very easily, like was used to absolutely no issue in the last World Cup, but we don’t because the Premier League thinks it’s important enough to be different.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But that will NEVER happen; there will always be human error. Unless there is change those who say "VAR is fine, it's just the people operating it" will still be saying the same thing in ten, twenty, thirty years' time.

Among the many, many threads we've had on this the best one was a discussion about a Guardian article where a top ref said that people think that refereeing is an exact science done badly, and that every decision is either 'right' or 'wrong', whereas it is way more nuanced than that. All VAR is is another layer of fallible decision-making imposed over the top of the existing fallible decision-making. The belief that just because the VAR officials have computers and stuff that they could and should get everything right is quite naive.
Howard Webb was brought in, at the start of last season, to oversee improvement. He even visited PBOBE after one of his written apologies.
Nothing has improved.

We’ve seen the correct use of VAR in the World Cup, the Euros and even in our game against AEK, because none of the operators were English!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here