Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Incredible Shrinking Roses/Quality Street tins

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Another sign of rip-off Britain, this years tin of Roses has shrunk from 975g down to 850g yet they are still being pushed at a "Special Offer " price of a Fiver. I'm pretty sure that the year before last we actually had a 1kg tin as I remember having to choose between Roses and QS and one was marginally under the 1 Kg.

So now we know why nearly all the supermarkets have piles of them in stock allegedly at a good price, buyer beware !

Rant over.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In a severe recession if prices remain the same the quality / quantity will always be compromised

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Loads of manufacturers have done this and in some cases, they don't even reduce the size of the packaging so it is not readily obvious. It is a rip off and the supermarkets and manufactures are obviously in collusion about it. Bugger all you can do though if you still want that product.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I may have noticed some other jiggery pokery, but as it's only a couple of brands, I can't be sure.

Grocery item sold at say £1.50.

Put on a loss leader promotion for 'only £1', for a couple of weeks.

Then returned to it's retail price £1.90.

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As long as the praline type of triangles are still there in QS I will be happy

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure they were 2k once!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I may have noticed some other jiggery pokery, but as it's only a couple of brands, I can't be sure.

Grocery item sold at say £1.50.

Put on a loss leader promotion for 'only £1', for a couple of weeks.

Then returned to it's retail price £1.90.

Yep, I have seen that in action at Morrisons.

Anchor butter reduced from £2.35 to £2.00 500g tub then back to retail at £2.90!!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tins of chockies seem to be going the way of Wagon Wheels and Cadbury's Creme Eggs, maybe a boycott is in order ?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Another sign of rip-off Britain, this years tin of Roses has shrunk from 975g down to 850g yet they are still being pushed at a "Special Offer " price of a Fiver. I'm pretty sure that the year before last we actually had a 1kg tin as I remember having to choose between Roses and QS and one was marginally under the 1 Kg.

So now we know why nearly all the supermarkets have piles of them in stock allegedly at a good price, buyer beware !

Rant over.

Well spotted!

I would like to rant about the fact I paid over £1 for a bag of crisps at a BP service station the other day. Yes, it was a grab bag (Bit excessive I know) but I assumed they would be about 70p. Over a pound, WTF!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Rant over.

You should have been a bit quicker, they were £4 a tin recently at Asda

Lots of companies do this, its a choice between increasing the price and keeping it the same size or reducing the size and keeping the price the same and most do the latter when overheads mean they have to do something or lose money on them. That said, i would love to see some products released, even if only for a limited time in their original sizes, items such as wagon wheels.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some years ago Courage reduced the strength of Hofmeister Lager but not the price and nobody noticed. It then went into a lower tax bracket so earned the brewers a lot of money. Gordons Gin and Smirnhoff Vodka did the same reduced them from 40% proof to 37.5 ironically both are owned by Diageo a USA company is it a co incidence that most of our chocolates are now owned by USA companies and the same is happening.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
You all have the ultimate weapon in the war against being ripped off in your armoury - don't buy them. If those bloody great piles of stock sit unsold, they'll either have to discount them further, 'til they reach a point which is acceptable, or re-enlarge the tins to their old sizes.

But people do keep buying them, in their millions. Where's the incentive for them to do anything other than what they're doing now?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Rant over.

Get onto your local politician about rising food prices, not Cadburys.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I remember when I was a kid, my Mum always bought a tin of QS at Xmas, they seemed to last forever and was always loads of toffees left at the end of the tin. Now I buy a tin and you can see the bottom of the tin before you even have one, couple of days and they are gone....and there is only about 2 green triangles as well, takes the piss!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here