Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The importance of tonight’s game (Birmingham verses Wigan)! - Official Match Thread

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
You could argue that if Brummy win, then Blackburn would be playing with the added pressure of actually been able to get into the play-off's, so you can look at it any which way. Personally, I'd snatch your hand off for a Birmingham draw without hesitation with bells on.

Blackburn would need a bit of a miracle to get in... Even if Wigan lost by, say, three tonight, BB still need to beat them by 2 goals on Saturday AND have both us and Reading lose (or us draw and Reading get massacred) - mathematically not impossible but the odds against are pretty overwhelming.

Still think Wigan are safe and its down to Reading losing points on Sat for us to have a chance.

KLUNK

Mar 30, 2010
East Sussex
Indeed. And those who say "we never do well at Forest" should take heart from this stat:

Wigan have never won at Birmingham in eight meetings in all competitions, drawing four and losing four.

I like that stat, wasn't aware. Let's just hope that sequence is extended to 9 👍

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Blackburn would need a bit of a miracle to get in... Even if Wigan lost by, say, three tonight, BB still need to beat them by 2 goals on Saturday AND have both us and Reading lose (or us draw and Reading get massacred) - mathematically not impossible but the odds against are pretty overwhelming.

Still think Wigan are safe and its down to Reading losing points on Sat for us to have a chance.

But if Wigan were to lose by 2 or 3 tonight you can bet Blackburn would be right up for it. They are one of the form teams in the league and I think they have to go for it anticipating us slipping up

As for Brum, I'm not sure they are any worse than Blackpool were before they came to the Amex and somehow they've managed to produce 2 outstanding results. Wigan are stuttering and Brum know it's last chance saloon. Might draw a big partisan crowd too?

Unlikely, but stranger things have happened

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I would love to see some stats for key end of season games to see if it really is a case of...

"Nothing to play for" - they don't care/will lose more easily, or
"Nothing to play for" - they can relax and play with freedom and might win

"Something to play for" - they will try extra hard/more likely to win, or
"Something to play for" - they'll be tense and nervy which will hinder them.

I suspect stats will show it probably makes no difference at all.

Not sure about that but I was having a look at teams outside the playoffs after 45 games getting in. Apart from Leicester last year (winning at Forest) it has only happened three times in the last 20 years. Also, teams inside the top 6 playing at home in the last game have a big tendancy to win. So it looks like all eyes on Wigan then.......

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Possible scenario:
Birmingham beat Wigan
Blackburn need to beat Wigan on the last day
We end up needing wigan to draw or lose
Wigan win in the last minute with Blackburn pushing for a winner.

:facepalm:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I bloody hate Birmingham

but for today only

UP THE BRUM

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Possible scenario:
Birmingham beat Wigan
Blackburn need to beat Wigan on the last day
We end up needing wigan to draw or lose
Wigan win in the last minute with Blackburn pushing for a winner.

:facepalm:

Hmm that would indeed be a nightmare, although Blackburn would probably need to win by at least two goals , so pushing for a last minute winner might not be likely. But it's possible. Eeek.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Birmingham probably feel like they have a much better chance of beating Bolton on Saturday, I wonder if that will affect their performance tonight?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Still think Wigan will win tonight and we'll scrape a draw against Forest on Saturday.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
quoted wrong person!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here