Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The “importance” of The North Stand?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
North Stand regulars (and I was one for many years) often claim they are the heartbeat of the Amex, the most vocal stand and some claim to be the most loyal supporters, there are often comments on Twitter implying the world revolves around them (I.e move the away fans to the north end of the East to improve atmosphere)
However, seeing that once again the club have decided not to open the North (initially) for the Espanyol match (same with Lazio) is it that the club don’t really acknowledge the The North Stand as anything special ? I know it’s a question of costs but if the North was as important as a lot of fans think it is, that would be irrelevant. Would Palace fans (for example) tolerate The Holmesdale being closed for a match.

It’s just a discussion point, as I’m probably still scarred from Pompey being given the North Stand in the 80s or Norwich half of it in 83. Even then I couldn’t see it happening at any other club

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can’t imagine the club really care about the result for a pre season friendly. So no, it’s not relevant in any shape or form.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If 'The North Stand' want to be viewed as "anything special" then the onus is on 'The North Stand' to be special.

Still it'll be nice to have another thread where folks can don their rosy specs and lie about 'the good old days'.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
THREAD TITLE - just to clarify.

The word “importance” wasn’t in reference to the ‘twelve man cheering us to a result..blah…blah’ yes, I know it’s a friendly and the club don’t care about the result, it was about the North Stand in itself. Do the regulars that do the singing not care that it’s shut, or is the North just “meh” these days?.

NB I’m an East Stand boy so I don’t care per sey. but to repeat, I just think it’s an odd decision that wouldn’t happen at any other club.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
1) Tosh, possibly

2) probably no one

but like I said, it’s just a discussion point. Are you this chatty in the pub?

Well, what do you mean by ‘most loyal fans ?’ I would say those days are gone. ‘Most loyal’ implies going to the most matches and I have never seen any stats to show that is the case of those in the North Stand. Surely people go in there mainly because they like watching from behind a goal and standing up ?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Well, what do you mean by ‘most loyal fans ?’ I would say those days are gone. ‘Most loyal’ implies going to the most matches and I have never seen any stats to show that is the case of those in the North Stand. Surely people go in there mainly because they like watching from behind a goal and standing up ?

Don’t ask me, because they’re not my words. In my OP I’ve used the term “claim” “they claim” “some claim” etc

I’m gonna have to quit now as it’s one of those threads where I’ve got the discussion in my head but it hasn’t translated into the written word. Generally speaking it was to be a discussion of how “ends” (The North, The Holmesdale, The Stratford End, The Kop etc) are perceived by the powers that be that run the clubs and also how the fans that frequent said areas see their own importance if at all. It’s my own fault for not being able to articulately and/or correctly being able to make my point.

If it was over a pint I’d be able to make myself clear! :lolol:

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
If the North was open, it really wouldn't make much, if any difference to the atmosphere. After all, it's just a pre season friendly.

It was always only going to be the East and West initially and rightly so. There's no importance for the North Stand to open and I'm sure other clubs wouldn't care about whether their most vocal stand had supporters or not for a pre season match

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

theboybilly

If the powers that be at Palace thought that much of the Season Ticket Holders in the Holmesdale he would have listened to the majority that didn't want to be forcibly moved to suit a crowd of youths that stand with their backs to the game

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the powers that be at Palace thought that much of the Season Ticket Holders in the Holmesdale he would have listened to the majority that didn't want to be forcibly moved to suit a crowd of youths that stand with their backs to the game

At least they got moved into the new stand.

el punal

North Stand regulars (and I was one for many years) often claim they are the heartbeat of the Amex, the most vocal stand and some claim to be the most loyal supporters, there are often comments on Twitter implying the world revolves around them (I.e move the away fans to the north end of the East to improve atmosphere)
However, seeing that once again the club have decided not to open the North (initially) for the Espanyol match (same with Lazio) is it that the club don’t really acknowledge the The North Stand as anything special ? I know it’s a question of costs but if the North was as important as a lot of fans think it is, that would be irrelevant. Would Palace fans (for example) tolerate The Holmesdale being closed for a match.

It’s just a discussion point, as I’m probably still scarred from Pompey being given the North Stand in the 80s or Norwich half of it in 83. Even then I couldn’t see it happening at any other club

I really wouldn’t worry about it. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If 'The North Stand' want to be viewed as "anything special" then the onus is on 'The North Stand' to be special.

Still it'll be nice to have another thread where folks can don their rosy specs and lie about 'the good old days'.

I remember in the 70s the North being 'taken' by some Gillingham supporters. I think there were around ten of them.

And when you consider that the North's 'finest', with their little moustaches and permed hair, invented 'Seagulls' down the Bosun, to 'show those Palace fans what for' and, as everyone knows, there is no such thing as a 'seagull', I think the 'importance' of the North Stand has been somewhat overstated. ???

"Gulls, or colloquially seagulls, are seabirds of the family Laridae in the suborder Lari. They are most closely related to the terns and skimmers and only distantly related to auks, and even more distantly to waders"

Oh, Lari Lari, Lari Lari Lari Lari Ridae"

Enjoyed the South stand far more at the Goldstone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220210_204514.jpg
    Screenshot_20220210_204514.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 134

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No, people go in the North because it’s the cheapest tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here