The importance of goal difference

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Will be irrelevant there is a pattern developing and I can see where it's going:

Fulham -5
QPR - 4 and then
Charlton -3
Derby - 2
Boro -1

This is the teams count down to us blasting into the Premier League

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whatever ground we may make up on Burnley on GD, after Charlton, will be negated when they play QPR and Charlton. Expect them to get at least + 4 more out of these two. Likewise, I expect Boro to beat both Ipswich and Birmingham and push their goal difference out of reach.

Boro have won by more than a goal just once in their last 11 games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps I am missing something here but I cannot see how it can go to GD as we must assume that the top 3 clubs will all win their next two games which means both us and Burnley 2 points behind Middlesbro. We beat them and Burnley beat Charlton then both are promoted and Middlesbro miss out. If we draw or lose at Boro and Burnley win them and Boro go up all possibilities on points not GD. This of course changes if any side drops points in one of their 2 games , which you wouldnt expect.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Will be irrelevant there is a pattern developing and I can see where it's going:

Fulham -5
QPR - 4 and then
Charlton -3
Derby - 2
Boro -1

Genius. Well spotted.

Job done.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Fulham -5
QPR - 4 and then
Charlton -3
Derby - 2
Boro -1

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
However unlikely it could contrive to be all three teams on the same points and GD in which case what would happen? Head to head can't separate us from Burnley as we drew both games.
You just never know in this league what could happen & it is possible we all end up with exactly the same points & goals tally.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
However unlikely it could contrive to be all three teams on the same points and GD in which case what would happen? Head to head can't separate us from Burnley as we drew both games.
You just never know in this league what could happen & it is possible we all end up with exactly the same points & goals tally.

Goals scored then counts. At the moment we are winning that particular race!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Those last minute equalisers against us and Middlesbrough have been massive for Burnley. I reckon that goal last night has put them in the driving set for promotion now.

As annoying as those late goals are and as unaesthetic as some of their play is you've got to tip your hat to their mental strength and determination. It takes real nerve and belief to be able to do that. Whichever two teams gain automatic promotion(and if there is a god, dear god let one of them be us) they'll have deserved it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whatever ground we may make up on Burnley on GD, after Charlton, will be negated when they play QPR and Charlton. Expect them to get at least + 4 more out of these two. Likewise, I expect Boro to beat both Ipswich and Birmingham and push their goal difference out of reach.
If Middlesbrough beat Ipswich and Birmingham, we'll only overtake them by winning all our games, and GD wouldn't come into it anyway. If they win one and draw one, we could catch up by winning our two, and then a draw on the last day would be enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps I am missing something here but I cannot see how it can go to GD
We already did this last night, have you already forgotten?

as we must assume that the top 3 clubs will all win their next two games
No, we don't need to assume that. Of course our players will try and win every game, but as fans, we know that Middlesbrough and Burnley could drop points.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We already did this last night, have you already forgotten?

No, we don't need to assume that. Of course our players will try and win every game, but as fans, we know that Middlesbrough and Burnley could drop points.

Soory didnt go on here last night as late home but we cannot expect Burnley or Boro to drop points in their 2 games so it will go down to us beating Boro which we are quite capable of doing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
we cannot expect Burnley or Boro to drop points in their 2 games so it will go down to us beating Boro which we are quite capable of doing.
You are missing the point BG. We're not expecting them to drop points, but we know they might. You can get 6/5 on Burnley beating Preston - ie, the bookies don't think they'll win. The odds of Burnley and Middlesbrough both winning their next 2 games will be even longer - ie, it's not that likely, even though we feel it will happen.

So, although it might not come down to GD, it could, so we're discussing it.

Got it?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Fulham -5
QPR - 4 and then
Charlton -3
Derby - 2
Boro -1

Tick another one off as my prediction is maintained , 2 against Derby next week.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

9.2 If two or more Clubs have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored the highest placed Club shall be determined by the respective League records against each other, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference and goals scored. If the above procedures do not separate the Clubs, then the Clubs concerned shall play off a deciding League Match or Matches under arrangements approved by the Board on a neutral ground.

If:

Albion 3-0 Derby
Boro 1-0 Albion

Burnley 2-4 QPR
Charlton 2-3 Burnley

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports