Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Iceland Volcano - Things that are good about it

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I have no sympathy with people who live near Heathrow and moan about the noise, given that most moved in when the airport was already there.

Perhaps it was a quiet day in airspace when they were house viewing... :wozza:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
someone on teh radio was suggesting this could go on for months as the volcano shows no sign of settling down.

I wonder what will happen to the airline industry if this goes on indefinately!

maybe some airline will take the chance?

It could change the way we live......the amount of food we import would be dramatically curtialed....no more "fresh" courgettes from madagascar!

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
I am probably being an ignoramus, but if the cloud of ash/dust is at the height that planes normal use to cruise, why don't they just fly lower?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I am probably being an ignoramus, but if the cloud of ash/dust is at the height that planes normal use to cruise, why don't they just fly lower?

the engines are designed for high altitude flight e.g 30,000ft (i think) , though that makes me wonder how they manage to get up that high on said engines

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
i am considering the icarus style of flight home...not too sure if i can carry my luggage too...id probably get taxed by the atmosphere equivalent of ryan feckin air!

anyone with a nice big yacht that can sail v fast to pick me up???

Sock

Apr 17, 2010
Brighton
I wouldn't like to be a passenger on the first plane that tries it...

I don't have any plans of getting on a plane until mid August, so I hope it settles by then.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The volcano is already starting to settle down somewhat, but the winds aren't likely to shift much this week so the situation could continue for many days.

Sock

Apr 17, 2010
Brighton
Apparently there is a volcano next to it - a bigger one which be triggered to erupt by the one next to it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
i am considering the icarus style of flight home...not too sure if i can carry my luggage too...id probably get taxed by the atmosphere equivalent of ryan feckin air!

anyone with a nice big yacht that can sail v fast to pick me up???
You could try hijacking the Gozo ferry:thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Planes could fly lower but they would burn up fuel at about twice the rate (or fly at much lower speeds). So, either the cost of flying would go up or planes would take longer to reach a destination - or a combination of both. There's also the factor that there would be more congestion, so there'd be fewer flights.

If this goes on much longer, I bet there'll be a few airlines attempt it: probably on payment of a supplement.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Airlines are already making staff take holiday or unpaid leave, SAS are laying staff off. It's not just the airlines however, it also affects companies that service the airport, including many of the lowest paid workers like aircraft cleaners and caterers, and retail staff.

I've heard of loads today who've simply been told not to come in. If they have leave they have to take it, if not it's forces unpaid leave or making up the hours later in the year.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Worth pointing this out, in response to a couple of posts above, BBC:

Dutch airline KLM and German airline Lufthansa have carried out test flights in their countries' airspace to see if it is safe for planes to fly.

KLM, which is inspecting test plane engines for possible damage with a view to restarting operations, said its aircraft had been able to fly at normal operating altitude of 13km (8 miles) over Dutch skies and no problems had been reported.

"We have found nothing unusual, neither during the flight, nor during the first inspection on the ground," said KLM chief executive Peter Hartman, who took part in his airline's test.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here