Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Hymalayas ?

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
The walk from Khatmandu up to Lukla isn't very interesting and takes ages by all accounts.

I did a group trip to basecamp, took 21 days in total I think.

About 15 in our group and about 30 sherpas lugging tents/bags/food etc.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
ah those were the days...... 16 day hike (after a precarious bus trip) through the Lantang NP, to a base camp and a few day hikes above the snow line, very few other trekkers, and then back down again.......then a week off and a 9 day annapurna circuit..... met a lot of israeli's (where's the party dude?) who had just finished their 2 year army stint - quite surprised we had no guide and were carrying all our own stuff. We're BRITISH we would say!! Surviving on momos and deep fried snickers and rice wine (think lumpy vomit), buying proper old skool grass off old ladies, having to dump LOADS of it between checks points (ceremonial bonfires), playing footie with the checkpoint guards (now whose turn is it to go down the mountain to retrieve the ball?), hot springs, double or quits on chess and asshole (the card game) oh man oh man, fantastic, heady days (1997).

Returned in 2006 to the Himalayas of technically India but really Nepal leaving from Darjeeling after flying into Calcutta (stay the other side of the Hooghly for the best fun), only a 3 nighter and this time with one guide/porter but still oh so beautiful. Litterpicked on the way down (to much amusement from the locals) as felt bad about not carrying all our stuff this time.

Must return soon, surely the most beautiful sight in the world is sunrise in the Himalayas.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Goto the anurpurna (sp) range, the everest area is nowhere near as beautiful.

Go live with the nepalese up in the mountain villages - they have no money, grow food, and live in a paradise of beauty and harmony.

Watch out for the 10,000 butterflies flying up the valley before sunset, and don't smoke the local weed with the locals.....they are used to it and you will trip out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Go live with the nepalese up in the mountain villages - they have no money, grow food, and live in a paradise of beauty and harmony.

Watch out for the 10,000 butterflies flying up the valley before sunset, and don't smoke the local weed with the locals.....they are used to it and you will trip out.

Surprised you, of all people, would want to enjoy third world poverty. I suggest you read The Waiting Land
by Dervla Murphy to get an idea of what really happens in Nepalese life.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Surprised you, of all people, would want to enjoy third world poverty. I suggest you read The Waiting Land
by Dervla Murphy to get an idea of what really happens in Nepalese life.

I don't need to read anything, i've spent months in those mountain and know the real nepalese life well. Lower your assumptions on other people.

I prefer more authentic cultures, and the words like 'third world' and 'poverty' are condescending to the good happy people that are there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Bring as much bog roll as you can carry and a travel trowel.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I don't need to read anything, i've spent months in those mountain and know the real nepalese life well. Lower your assumptions on other people.

I prefer more authentic cultures, and the words like 'third world' and 'poverty' are condescending to the good happy people that are there.

Your assumption that they live in a paradise of beauty and harmony is what I am questioning. Read the book. She is a great left wing travel writer. She was there during the Tibetan exodus from their homeland and spent long summer monsoons and the bitterly cold winters there. She did not go only during tourist season. What you are describing is known 'picturesque poverty'.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Actually if you squat like they do, which is the most natural way to shit, then you need very little loo paper you pampered westerner!

I'm not sure I can snap one off cleanly though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Geographical point of order - Himalaya is the plural of Himal (molar-like cluster of mountain peaks). Himalayas would therefore be the plural of a plural, and is incorrect.

Annapurna Sanctuary is astonishingly isolated and mesmerisingly beautiful.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Your assumption that they live in a paradise of beauty and harmony is what I am questioning. Read the book. She is a great left wing travel writer. She was there during the Tibetan exodus from their homeland and spent long summer monsoons and the bitterly cold winters there. She did not go only during tourist season. What you are describing is known 'picturesque poverty'.

I guess i just see it different. i've lived happily in many parts of the world that people in the west would called poverty. I like the authenticity and purity. One place in Nepal they had no money 0 ZERO, but they lived with ethics and community, and grew food......they didn't want ponsy westerners with their iphones and fast lives feeling sorry for them thats for sure.

For me, having to pay 30-40% tax, too much on bills and council tax, crazy public transport costs, and toxic non-local food everywhere is another form of poverty.....but many find a sense of elitism in this for some insane reason.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
If you're heading to India then Manali is a great base for treks. Take the trip to Malana for the best charas in the world or head to Spiti valley via the Pin Parvati pass (very strenuous I believe) but you can take a gentler walk from Bhuntar to Kasol to Manikaran to pulga/kalga or torske then on to the hot springs at kirganga all without need of a guide.

Nepal - everything you need is available out of Pokhara - try the Pollen while you're there.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Come on, people, the O/P made a small error, there's no need to take the piss out of hym.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

A paradise of beauty and harmony overrun with Western backpackers scoffing apple strudel when I was there.

Undeniably beautiful despite that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here