Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Hungry Years

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Met Mrs Shingle at the Hungry Years, great times. Thirty years later and still together.

Was a regular there from about 1979 to 1983. Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and on Sunday at the New Regent

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Met Mrs Shingle at the Hungry Years, great times. Thirty years later and still together.

Was a regular there from about 1979 to 1983. Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and on Sunday at the New Regent

New Regent? That rings a bell - where was that?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Isn't that the correct way to do it? punk:

err no. It would have better effect getting on a Norton or a Triumph Bonneville and growling off inti the night air. Just thought it was funny to see those smelly blokes trying t be all 'Peter Fonda' and then getting on the no 26to Beaconsfield Villas.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow

Christ yeah. Sunday nights at the New regent. I had forgotten about that place.

It was free to get in of a sunday. Not a touch on the years, but a good night to be had by all.
Does anyone remember The victory down west st (think its Pasha now). We use to all meet up in there because they had a load of Status Quo and Lynard Skynards freebird on the jukebox (another headbangers anthem).
Then around to The Seahouse for a few pints of Ben Truman (nectar of the gods) Loads of pubs use to sell that stuff.

There are some really good reads here if anyone is interested in the Hungry Years. Just pop it in the search at the top and enjoy.

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/ punk:punk:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
err no. It would have better effect getting on a Norton or a Triumph Bonneville and growling off inti the night air. Just thought it was funny to see those smelly blokes trying t be all 'Peter Fonda' and then getting on the no 26to Beaconsfield Villas.

[PEDANT ALERT] The 26 went up Ditchling Road not Beaconsfield Villas. It was the 46 that went up Beaconsfield Villas

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I used the 26/46 to get home and I swear that both went up the Villas. maybe 26a or 26b didn't?

I'm 100% certain that 46 went up Villas and the 26 went a different route. I remember catching the 26 one day to see how close it went and it wasn't close at all (In those days, we weren't allowed to walk over the fields from Balfour Road to Varndean)

There were a 26a and 26b though - I've no idea what the difference was.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I'm 100% certain that 46 went up Villas and the 26 went a different route. I remember catching the 26 one day to see how close it went and it wasn't close at all (In those days, we weren't allowed to walk over the fields from Balfour Road to Varndean)

There were a 26a and 26b though - I've no idea what the difference was.

Maybe those routes served Beaconsfield Villas...solved!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Ha ha, sadly I am not old enough for the Bonneville, I was a spotty oik in my teens in the early 80s, trying my best to look mean with a biker jacket, or the obligatory denim jacket, adorned with band badges and hand painted band logos. My old man made me cut up the "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" patch and threw the "Bloody" bit away! I had "Sabbath" on my jacket twice. No buses for me, I used to thumb a lift home afterwards! (Couldn't afford the bus).

I found my old denim jacket just recently when I moved house, after several modifications and a major Gong overhaul painted in 1982. Ooh a Crass logo to, and I can't for the life of me remember who Frantic City were, it is posted here: Phils rather old demin jacket from the 80s

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey..were you ever in af ight on the 19..with a skinhead?

erm I don't think so.

I could never afford smooth gear although I did used to frequent Sherry's....Busby's was ok if you wanted to people watch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here