Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
What Sussex did last year (under incredible financial pressures and restrictions due to Covid) was play lots of up and coming young players. These are the players that will become the players in your preferred format which is Test Cricket. 10 of our 16 named player squads were under 24. Ibrahim, The Lenham brothers, Haines, Hunt are all names that will only develop from academy systems set up and paid for by Sussex CCC. Like the Albion, Sussex know to compete they have to develop and find young prospects. Garton a Brighton born fast bowler is in the England squad for the West Indies, Robinson was in the England squad for the ashes, a player given a chance again with our coaching and system.

For what I have read of the Hundred and this new proposed City Championship league it is all about money, going to agents, going to Test ground sides, going to the people that run it. It does not seem interested in devleopment of the game or young players.

It reeks of of the Europen Super League. I am sure some people want that format and to let the rest of football retract and die. So for these and many more reasons I am not in.

You are Tom Harrison and I claim my £5

Not at all. As above, what Sussex did last year is exactly what you would want - lots of young players getting exposure and experience in the long format - only what happened is they got hammered, which may or may not have benefitted them, but it would be brilliant if all the counties could do this rather than using your County cricket trundlers that will get you results in the Championship, but they're never going to be test quality, and they're not actually going to give potential test cricketers enough of a test to prepare them for that format.

How on earth can you defend the current set up of County Cricket as a whole for the development of the game or young players when we haven't been able to find an opening batsmen for nearly a decade, and can't find any kind of test quality spinner, and we're still relying on an ageing seam attack!? I mean, it's hardly an argument for the status quo is it.

All these comparisons to football is utter BS as well. Totally different. As others have said cricket relies on the international team and it's success. Players need paying and they'll go to the highest paying competitions, so to think money isn't relevant in saving Test cricket, then goodness help us. We need a first class competition like the Sheffield Shield that gets to the elite players in the country playing against each other in almost every match, and the audiences will come.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Indeed, it was a moronic suggestion. A structure akin to football would be better. This will not be a popular opinion, but professional football in England was dying on its arse before Sky and the PL arrived. A 30,000+ crowd at a top-division match was a rarity, not the norm. (And yes I know that the increased popularity came at a price that some think was too high, but the fact stands). A similar change could benefit cricket. By all means focus all the money and attention on the top 'Premier League' division which will naturally hoover up the best players - but don't pull up the drawbridge. Keep a league structure: three divisions of six, one up and one down ... including the bottom of div 3 to swap with the top minor county.

Like in football it will be the best-organised and best-run clubs that will reach the honeypot of the top division, not necessarily the oldest and biggest. There's no reason why someone like Berkshire with the right backing and organisation couldn't 'do a Brighton' and take the place that a more 'massive' county thinks is theirs by right.

Indeed. Although 'with the right backing' would have to extend to: finding a Rod Bransgrove type backer prepared to bankroll a stadium fit for Test cricket, and also prepared to play the right politics / oil the wheels of the ECB to be granted International fixtures. If you do not host Tests (or at least ODIs) you are not going to ever be competitive at the top level, financially.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We need a first class competition like the Sheffield Shield that gets to the elite players in the country playing against each other in almost every match, and the audiences will come.

Sheffield Shield matches at the SCG are free entry, and generally play to crowds of around 200.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How on earth can you defend the current set up of County Cricket as a whole for the development of the game or young players when we haven't been able to find an opening batsmen for nearly a decade, and can't find any kind of test quality spinner, and we're still relying on an ageing seam attack!? I mean, it's hardly an argument for the status quo is it.

But a dozen years ago, playing the exact same set-up of county cricket, we were number one Test team. We then cut back on the number of CC games and started playing them at the beginning and end of the season. We also started fining teams for producing wickets that turned, so there was no incentive to produce spinners.

Moving the CC to the middle of the season will help but there needs to be other changes too. One area that Australia does better is grade cricket. They don't play limited over cricket so there's a chance to build an innings. In England, we play limited overs from junior level right up to clubs. In particular, I'd change the format of U9 and U10 cricket so young players learn not to give wickets away - I don't think the batting on even if you're out, helps their long term development

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
But a dozen years ago, playing the exact same set-up of county cricket, we were number one Test team. We then cut back on the number of CC games and started playing them at the beginning and end of the season. We also started fining teams for producing wickets that turned, so there was no incentive to produce spinners.

Moving the CC to the middle of the season will help but there needs to be other changes too. One area that Australia does better is grade cricket. They don't play limited over cricket so there's a chance to build an innings. In England, we play limited overs from junior level right up to clubs. In particular, I'd change the format of U9 and U10 cricket so young players learn not to give wickets away - I don't think the batting on even if you're out, helps their long term development

So you have to remember that the 2011 no.1 Test team status came from players say aged 30 that had been with their counties for 10 or 20 years. You are looking at the players produced by County Cricket in 2001, 20 years ago to produce that team. I don't disagree to what you're saying, but the counties agreed to cutback CC games, the counties agreed to shunt the CC games to start and end of season.

I agree with your suggestion BUT the counties would need to agree moving the CC to the middle of the season, or a change to the schedule and my whole point is they won't do it because it is not in their interest to do so - this is the problem.

I've just replied to someone about Sussex playing lots of youngsters last season - brilliant, that IS what counties should be doing, but they're not, you have those that put a bit of priority into the CC, and those that don't. It's therefore not 18 really good teams, it's a handful of good teams smashing up a load of youngsters or not good enough players. That's why I think we need an elite CC where the cream of the crop compete, but there is still a first class competition for youngsters and players to develop into.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I think the franchise idea for the 4 day game is abysmal. The key thing for me is that the CC is played in the summer, so players actually get to play in test conditions and not those conditions that suit medium pacers . It would also mean that those not in the england team are actually getting practice in the long form of the game while tests are going on. The big issue is how to fit this in and how to have a competition that is competitive. I think the recent trial of each county playing in 2 tables of 6 teams worked well - kept interest going and meant fewer games that the current 2 league set up. I don't think worrying about supporters coming is of any importance - but I, like a few others, are much more likely to take a day off in the summer to watch a day or two, rather than thinking of going at the spring or autumn. Surely a T20 or hundred tournament can be moved to these slots as they can fit around poor weather!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Deleted

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've always thought that all competitions should run the length of the season.

Why can't they schedule the CC every Thursday to Sunday in 3 weeks out of 4 and then play limited overs on the 4th weekend playing on consecutive days. eg 50 over on saturday and T20 on sunday.

Any other limited overs can be midweek.

Cancel the abomination that is the Hundred.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've always thought that all competitions should run the length of the season.

Why can't they schedule the CC every Thursday to Sunday in 3 weeks out of 4 and then play limited overs on the 4th weekend playing on consecutive days. eg 50 over on saturday and T20 on sunday.

Any other limited overs can be midweek.

Cancel the abomination that is the Hundred.

Because the counties voted in the scheduling because the Blast and One Day is where their priorities lie. There is no secret about this.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have just heard Silverwood saying how things have got to change and play more County Cricket in June July and August. I think Root has said the same. Unbelievable .Where were these opinions 2 years ago when needed. At that time majority of cricket supporters would have said this. Everything will be forgiven when we beat West Indies and Zimbabwe

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Have just heard Silverwood saying how things have got to change and play more County Cricket in June July and August. I think Root has said the same. Unbelievable .Where were these opinions 2 years ago when needed. At that time majority of cricket supporters would have said this. Everything will be forgiven when we beat West Indies and Zimbabwe

These opinions have been present for a long time, but the counties vote for the scheduling.

We haven't had a single opening batsmen who can properly open in Tests since Cook retired, and he didn't really have a settled partner after Strauss retired. Writing has been on the wall for a long time.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
These opinions have been present for a long time, but the counties vote for the scheduling.

We haven't had a single opening batsmen who can properly open in Tests since Cook retired, and he didn't really have a settled partner after Strauss retired. Writing has been on the wall for a long time.
Extremely this

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Indeed. Although 'with the right backing' would have to extend to: finding a Rod Bransgrove type backer prepared to bankroll a stadium fit for Test cricket, and also prepared to play the right politics / oil the wheels of the ECB to be granted International fixtures. If you do not host Tests (or at least ODIs) you are not going to ever be competitive at the top level, financially.
Except If we built a Test standard ground, we would promptly go bust because we couldn't afford the upkeep - like Durham did.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Talking about the ECB's decision making and what's good for the game and the England team, just finishing The Man Who Bought Cricket on Sky Documentary channel, about Allen Stanford, very good, and Luke Wright features

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I'm not sure you'd need a Test ground to be in the top division. To carry on my football analogy, there are clubs outside the PL with bigger grounds than some PL clubs. Yes obviously the Test revenue helps enormously - but Durham still went bust. If you had other income streams, like private investment, you could survive without Test/ODI revenue, and the one thing that Keegan's Hairpeice has got right on this thread is that you don;t need a massive ground for day-to-day CC matches.

Of course the 'private investment' line opens a whole new can of worms about who would get involved in cricket and would an arm of the Saudi Arabian government end up owing SCCC? Anyway, it's not worth discussing hypothetical problems like that, we've got enough real ones to deal with..

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Not at all. As above, what Sussex did last year is exactly what you would want - lots of young players getting exposure and experience in the long format - only what happened is they got hammered, which may or may not have benefitted them, but it would be brilliant if all the counties could do this rather than using your County cricket trundlers that will get you results in the Championship, but they're never going to be test quality, and they're not actually going to give potential test cricketers enough of a test to prepare them for that format.

All these comparisons to football is utter BS as well. Totally different. As others have said cricket relies on the international team and it's success. Players need paying and they'll go to the highest paying competitions, so to think money isn't relevant in saving Test cricket, then goodness help us. We need a first class competition like the Sheffield Shield that gets to the elite players in the country playing against each other in almost every match, and the audiences will come.

Well I have not defended the system, and I personally think Sussex have really invested in developing players, that we are good custodians of the game and should be proud of that.

Nothing said so far is a good fix, the Hundred sides getting championship cricket is totally akin to the the top sides only playing in a European Supper League.

The counties are not the fault of a failure at test level, one sure fix is change the schedule to let counties play the long game in the key months of summer, then the youth with get experience of bowling and batting on hard dry wickets.

So diagree with you, I am a Sussex Member watch us play all formats with many away games as well. I can assure you its the people at the top destroying the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here