Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Well the Ashes may have been the starter, and what a starter it was but now it's time for the main course of the cricketing summer as The Hundred takes centre stage.

:O

Our very own Southern Brave kicking things off tomorrow night with a tough looking trip to Trent Bridge to take on the Trent Rockets.

Come on the Brave!

:clap:
That really isn't funny.

It's like comparing a Michelin 5 star restaurant, to a back street late night kebab shop that has just been condemned by Environmental Health

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Jim Maxwell’s comments are nothing when compared to an ironic endorsement from Crodo.

Still, I’m sure a month of bang average franchise players dressed as crisps will absolutely FRITZ that dull Ashes series :facepalm:
Hopefully rain every game.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That really isn't funny.

It's like comparing a Michelin 5 star restaurant, to a back street late night kebab shop that has just been condemned by Environmental Health
Where people go because they are so pissed it tastes good.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well the Ashes may have been the starter, and what a starter it was but now it's time for the main course of the cricketing summer as The Hundred takes centre stage.

:O

Our very own Southern Brave kicking things off tomorrow night with a tough looking trip to Trent Bridge to take on the Trent Rockets.

Come on the Brave!

:clap:
I appreciate you live in Lyme but for a lot of Sussex people our 'local' team is the Oval lot (can't remember their name without googling). The Southern Braves play in Southampton which is harder to get to than Kennington - and much harder to get home from, especially by train.

But of course even they're not really our team, so .... f*** 'em all.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The only reason no Test matches or championship cricket in August is because of this stupid competition. Not needed on top of 20/20.
Going on at same time is the now down graded one day cup. Sussex have a good chance because most sides will have 2nd teams out.
After another great test series what a great time for ECB to market and show some interest in County cricket but they will not bother

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I like The Hundred. I’ll watch basically every game.

I love Test cricket.

There, I said it. I enjoy any form of cricket.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I was out until about 5 yesterday and when I got home the wife was watching the one TV at my mum’s house with sky. I managed to convince her to put the cricket on by saying “the cricket season is having a month off. I won’t be watching any for until the very end of august so a couple of hours can’t hurt here” - incredibly I was actually telling the truth. In august there is not cricket taking place on TV that I care about. It is insane scheduling.

I wonder how many kids will want to see cricket after the ashes and they will have to hope they have a local side in the hundred or watch reserves. I am currently in with devon. Nearest hundred is Cardiff. Just 2 hours 23 away as of this moment. Nice one.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The only reason no Test matches or championship cricket in August is because of this stupid competition. Not needed on top of 20/20.
Going on at same time is the now down graded one day cup. Sussex have a good chance because most sides will have 2nd teams out.
After another great test series what a great time for ECB to market and show some interest in County cricket but they will not bother
It's a novelty competition. We have just had month of the most sublime cricket representing the purest form of the game and it gets shunted out of the way for this circus. I have no interest in the Southern brave or whatever London team is playing at the oval, what incentive is there for me to watch it? Even the 20/20 has been swept into the corner by this clown show. bah humbug, the sooner it gets dumped the better.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’m going to the oval next Wednesday but only because my eldest really wants to go there. I don’t even know whose playing. I was speaking to someone close to Surrey CCC on Sunday and he said that this tournament can’t last, only it’s third year and already they’re no longer selling out the games.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m going to the oval next Wednesday but only because my eldest really wants to go there. I don’t even know whose playing. I was speaking to someone close to Surrey CCC on Sunday and he said that this tournament can’t last, only it’s third year and already they’re no longer selling out the games.
There have been rumours that it'll be binned off after this season and replaced with a 20/20 that's somehow different to the Blast, effectively merging the competitions.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The ECB claimed The Hundred made a profit. Some beg to differ...

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There have been rumours that it'll be binned off after this season and replaced with a 20/20 that's somehow different to the Blast, effectively merging the competitions.
I'd be surprised if that's after this season because of the broadcast contract.

But I do hope you are right though.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Not interested, loved the Ashes but cba with Hundred.

Football time again ! UTA

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd be surprised if that's after this season because of the broadcast contract.

But I do hope you are right though.
It's certainly making a loss. I see you've already posted the report that was around at the time the ECB were briefing that The Hundred might be axed, that current losses are around £9 million. Those reports, when I checked back, all date to the end of April, when this season's tournament was launched so could have been a publicity stunt or a call to 'use it or lose it'.

Current TV deal takes it to 2025 but you can't continue forever with a competition that's losing such a huge amount.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fingers crossed. I can understand why the Hundred was invented (they want a big stadium atmosphere) but it's been implemented badly as it has simply alienated fans of cricket who aren't near test match venues. Like Sussex fans.

Here would be my blueprint for changing cricket:

* Add more first class counties - 30 in total.
* Restructure long form county cricket. Have three divisions of ten, and each team only plays others once - four day games with a reserve day, two promoted/relegated.
* Fit T20 around that and play it at every county ground on April to September evenings, not unlike MLB baseball. With results every evening and grounds regularly full, TV Companies will love it, and it will pay for stadium improvements and the long term future of cricket.
* Bin off 50 over and Hundred cricket. Hundred is a not popular but also 50 overs has had its day. Yes there are still World Cups in that format but something has to give. You can't keep inventing new formats of the game and fitting them all in the schedule.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Slightly simplistic analysis on this one. The ECB wanted the second half of the summer to focus on white ball cricket with the world cup coming up in October / November (hence why the white ball internationals run through September) but there are also key players who the ECB want to manage the workload of (e.g. Wood, Woakes, Bairstow) who will be needed for that tournament and it;s much harder to do that in the middle of an Ashes series. I would argue that the ECB was damned if it did and damned if it didn't on this one, can you imagine if we had gone to the Oval at 2-2 in the Ashes and the ECB had pulled Wood, Root and Woakes out of it to prepare them for the World Cup? It's much better to pull them out of the (e.g.) Welsh Fire team than the England test one for that basis.

Plus Sky Sports were keen for the Ashes to be done and dusted before the start of the Premier League season, which is all they really care about.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's certainly making a loss. I see you've already posted the report that was around at the time the ECB were briefing that The Hundred might be axed, that current losses are around £9 million. Those reports, when I checked back, all date to the end of April, when this season's tournament was launched so could have been a publicity stunt or a call to 'use it or lose it'.

Current TV deal takes it to 2025 but you can't continue forever with a competition that's losing such a huge amount.
They gave away thousands of tickets last year, mainly to young kids to get them into it.

May work long term, but kids don't buy booze.

Grounds are packed with kids and family that won't buy the main thing they make money on and are in the ground for free.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Fingers crossed. I can understand why the Hundred was invented (they want a big stadium atmosphere) but it's been implemented badly as it has simply alienated fans of cricket who aren't near test match venues. Like Sussex fans.

Here would be my blueprint for changing cricket:

* Add more first class counties - 30 in total.
* Restructure long form county cricket. Have three divisions of ten, and each team only plays others once - four day games with a reserve day, two promoted/relegated.
* Fit T20 around that and play it at every county ground on April to September evenings, not unlike MLB baseball. With results every evening and grounds regularly full, TV Companies will love it, and it will pay for stadium improvements and the long term future of cricket.
* Bin off 50 over and Hundred cricket. Hundred is a not popular but also 50 overs has had its day. Yes there are still World Cups in that format but something has to give. You can't keep inventing new formats of the game and fitting them all in the schedule.
All the time there is a 50 over World Cup, you should be some kind of cup played here.

Even if it's a second team cup for player development.

But I can see 50 over cricket going at international level being replaced with a T20 World Cup every 2 years.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
What a crock of shite! I watched about 10 mins last year and just the ugly graphics all over the tv screen were enough to put me off. And don't get me started on the silly made up teams.

Such a shame after the brilliant Ashes series.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here