Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Home Office,America and the Death Penalty.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I had gathered you saw just Diane Abbot say something and got all excited as people often do with her. There's been plenty of other concerns to this raised today across all parties, as the former Tory cabinet minister Andrew Mitchell did on C4 news and he seemed confident enough in regards to parliamentary arithmetic being against this break of British Government policy. I also see that the Mother of one of their victims, James Foley, is against them being sentenced to death as it'll just make them martyrs and her preference is life sentences.

There’s nothing less exciting than Diane Abbot.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I don't think we should be picking and choosing when to and when not to oppose the death penalty - that's a slippery slope. We should oppose it in all circumstances, however unpalatable that may be.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
see Labour getting their knickers in a twist over it. Abbott saying its ""abhorrent and shameful", nope thats a reflection of what they did. we're just washing our hands of them, which is what they wanted when joining ISIL.

I do have a bit of a problem with to be honest, the washing hands bit....

However it's a bit rich of Labour in respect the abuses they allowed other countries to undertake under Blair.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We should stand firm to our principles, and should never compromise. Send the US a clear and unequivocal statement making it very clear to them where we stand on the abhorrence of the death penalty. Something along the lines of:

"Dear United States, please don't execute these murderers because a lot of people over here don't approve of it, and we can never condone executing anybody, whatever the reasons.........

......................however, when in America
"......................................:shrug:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
They want to become martyrs though. So on that basis they should be locked up for life, and when they get to 80 they might realise what nonsense they believed decades ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here