Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Holmesdale Fanatics

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
My thoughts on the atmosphere last night are that both sets of fans were below par. For Palace, fair play to the ultras thing. Not really my cup of tea, but they kept going all game, although it's not particularly loud. The main thing with it is that it seems to prevent "normal" old-fashioned chants being sung so is somewhat counterproductive. For us I thought it was all right, but certainly nothing amazing, but then again I was nearish to the front so maybe it didn't carry (although I don't seem to remember there being a problem in the past). The were plenty of songs being sung, but nothing seemed to last or really get going. Whether it was the cold or the huge buffer zone preventing any real banter, but it all just seemed a bit flat. It was certainly nothing like at the Amex. Any neutral at the game last night would have been left wondering what all the fuss was about.

philmyglass

Banned
Jan 26, 2012
Their fans are utter wanck, but just spoke to a few of the palace fans I know, and they reckon we were quite and one in the Homesdale upper claims he could only hear an 'albion' after we scored. How he couldn't hear 'you'll never fill your ground' and sellhurst's a s hole' I don't know

I sat opposite the away fans and apart from Albion, Albion every now and then you were pretty quiet, A few songs you sang in the second half i could not make the words out, shame we didnt give you another 2000 or so tickets atmosphere would have been better all round. Those of you listening on the radio would have heard your fans more than the home fans as the commentators sit above you in the Arthur Waite. In respect of Selhurst being a shithole, you are dead right, it is, the sooner we move the better.The only issue with a new stadium is that you end up with an influx of plastic fans, you know all about that, dont you.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I love the rivalry, but it brings out the worst in both our sets of supporters. We sang and you sang, and we couldn't hear each other because we were both singing.

I didn't think the display was pathetic. I'm sure you don't do it every week, and took it as a sign the game is improtant for both teams.

The interesting bit was the attempt by your fans to properly embrace the Ultras thing, in a way I haven't seen from other English clubs. The black (St. Pauli anyone?), the banner with gothic script, the songs, were all very European (I've been to a lot of games in Germany in particular, including St. Pauli many times). We responded sounding very British, which made the mix sound strange, but we were not quiet and neither were you.

I was quite embarassed in the way back to Norwood Junction, because the abuse Brighton fans were doling out to parents and kids (and the abuse coming back from similar minded Palace fans) did neither club's support any credit. And just like that, this thread has just disintegrated into abuse and is a bit pointless really.

But, can you have the rivalry without it?

me, I'm just pleased that we're back, properly back.

This. Plus get rid of the drum, ffs. I was on the fence about a drum but not now. It was bloody annoying and drowns out your own fans!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I just had a decent phone conversation with a Palace supporting friend of mine who sits in the Holmsdale Upper, two rows from the front, just to the left of the goal.

His thoughts on last night

(1) That a draw was a fair result.
(2) Zaha is twice the player Buckey is.
(3) El Abd is crap
(4) Our support was 'excellent'
(5) He doesn't like the drum as it drowns out any 'proper football chanting'
(6) He thinks we will finish above them.
(7) Theirs was a pen, and ours wasn't.

My reply

(1) I thought we shaded it - only one side trying to win the game in the last 15 minutes.
(2) Good player Zaha is, final ball is poor, and certainly not worth £7 miilion! IMO Buckley contritubuted more overall last night.
(3) Disagree.
(4) Agreed!
(5) Agreed! - if we ever get one at The Amex, I won't be going any more! Apart from the drum (and the St. Pauli song, I hardly heard them)
(6) Agreed!
(7) Ours wasn't - agreed on that. Theirs - who knows, my view wasn't great.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I(3) El Abd is crap
Poor fella, playing out of position, was being urged to go forward playing out of position so giving him a lot of ground to make up, if play broke down.

I thought the palace left back had a good first 60 minutes then looked terrified for the last 15 as Buckley kept coming in waves at him, where as El Abd look fresher for the full 90.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Calm down Barry. You could be describing your AC Crowborough squad circa 2002.

You obviously got battered by them once or refereed against them but yeah fair play I often said the same thing though !!!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I thought the Palace display looked OK (not amazing, but not shit). The people slagging it off what do they make of the Donacaster and Fatboy Slim flags games, and the banners hung in North Stand at The Amex?

Also home fans never sound as loud when youre the away team, look at reports of fans that have visited the Amex

Cracking atmosphere in our end, the best its been in a long time, we've been quite quite for a lot of games this season

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I'm sure Palace sang and we all know we sang but as soon as that sodding drummer started off it drowned any voices out! and with it being right between the two sets of fans that meant no one could hear each other.

Not quite sure what to make of the game though, felt a bit flat after all the hype and excitement... The freezing cold, the stadium half empty, referee taking centre stage and the met police erecting fort knox to keep the fans apart.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
You lot have nothing to boast about, i was in the holmesdale lower and heard nothing from you lot for most of the game (until you equalised). A draw was the fair result, you totally dominated us for most of the second half, fair play to ya.

But I still f'kin hate you lot!

You hate us because we're relevant. If we weren't relevant to your little club, then you wouldn't be here, neither sing songs with your mate Barry about anal sex.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
At the end of the day you lot didn't compare to a superior support and, on the day, a superior team.

This guy again, your 'superior support' of what, 14k fans, and a drum? I listened on the radio, only heard you after your goal, I heard the drum. But nothing from your lot, I heard Brighton fans, albeit faintly, but I assume that's because the commentators are further away.

Superior team? Funny that, been in the Championship for a few years now, and you're still mid table, and 4 points below us. We've been promoted, and had our ups and downs, but generally, we've statistically been above you the majority of the season to present time. I think you should just quit.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Their fans are utter wanck, but just spoke to a few of the palace fans I know, and they reckon we were quite and one in the Homesdale upper claims he could only hear an 'albion' after we scored. How he couldn't hear 'you'll never fill your ground' and sellhurst's a s hole' I don't know
O yeah I heard that, but then again I have read it many time on here so it kind of got ignored, nobody cared TBH.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
I thought the Palace display looked OK (not amazing, but not shit). The people slagging it off what do they make of the Donacaster and Fatboy Slim flags games, and the banners hung in North Stand at The Amex?

Also home fans never sound as loud when youre the away team, look at reports of fans that have visited the Amex

Cracking atmosphere in our end, the best its been in a long time, we've been quite quite for a lot of games this season
At last someone with some sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here