Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Hikers Rest

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've never been in the Hikers Rest but I run what was once a very similar pub in High Wycombe. I pass the HR on the way to The Amex and from the outside it looks grim - dingy paint, unwashed net curtains, the muddle of recycling bins outside and generally it looks a rough old place better avoided. I've always thought that our formula here - basically strippers every day of the week - would work there on match days and probably other days as well. It is possible to make a profit and a living from a pub owned by one of the big pub companies (this is) but you do pay them well for the privilege. Anyone know who the pub co is? – I don’t mind trying! It is possible to make a profit and a living from a pub owned by one of the big pubcos (this is) but you do pay them well for the privilege.

Yep, i was there a few years back for our game. nice girls and very nice bar staff too. In fact you made us all feel very welcome.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It used to be the breweries who were the Devils. I don't know who is worst. Worthing has lost quite a few although to be honest they were all shitholes in the main in recent years. The Wine Lodge was a great loss though going back some time as was the absolute shambles The Thieves Kitchen has become. The Poxy Parrot or something now.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's perfectly possible to run a pub at a profit. The problem is that even more money can be made by closing pubs down and turning them into either shops or housing.

If the government won't pass laws to prevent this, then the local council should refuse planning applications to change the use of community buildings, like The Hikers, where there are no alternative licensed premises within a reasonable distance.

Absolutely right. Coldean had 1 pub, Moulescombe had 0? Bevendean had 1 but it closed and has re-opened apparently.
Considering the population I am surprised the pubs didn't do well.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Absolutely right. Coldean had 1 pub, Moulescombe had 0? Bevendean had 1 but it closed and has re-opened apparently.
Considering the population I am surprised the pubs didn't do well.

Bevendean had two , the Bevendean hotel (now Bevy as mentioned before) and the White admiral on corner of Laybourne Avenue /Taunton road. The White admiral wasused for outside filming in only fools and horses as the nags head.

edit : White admiral closed and was turned into flats around 10 years ago

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
The White Horse??

Wasn't that on that Britains Dodgiest pubs program??

Yeah, but it was actually called 'Britain's roughest pubs' (it wasn't, anyway!) and repeated ad nauseum by Sky for the following ten years. Background was that a previous manager hoped to buy the place from a previous owner, thought that the programme would drive customers away. In fact the reverse happened: the place was rammed for weeks afterwards by punters looking to see the action, both on and off the stage! He has, of course, long since gone, and after a couple of changes of ownership the business has expanded to having dancers every day except Sundays with a new separate lap dancing bar on the first floor and general improvements all round.

The big problem with all this is the licensing: if you want to present striptease regularly you now have to apply for a 'Sexual Entertainment licence' which, apart from the cost, can be mighty difficult to obtain and might well prove impossible to get given the HR's location. Still worth a try though...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bevendean had two , the Bevendean hotel (now Bevy as mentioned before)

The Bevy is in Moulsecoomb not Bevendean, I used to live a minute away from it and know it well - used to be a great place for buying hooky gear. The Bevendean's pub, as mentioned, was the White Admiral.

The Hiker's Rest isn't a rough pub at all; it's a dead friendly boozer catering for all sorts. It would be a real blow for Coldean if it closed - it's a popular pub (and not just on match days)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Yeah, but it was actually called 'Britain's roughest pubs' (it wasn't, anyway!) and repeated ad nauseum by Sky for the following ten years. Background was that a previous manager hoped to buy the place from a previous owner, thought that the programme would drive customers away. In fact the reverse happened: the place was rammed for weeks afterwards by punters looking to see the action, both on and off the stage! He has, of course, long since gone, and after a couple of changes of ownership the business has expanded to having dancers every day except Sundays with a new separate lap dancing bar on the first floor and general improvements all round.

The big problem with all this is the licensing: if you want to present striptease regularly you now have to apply for a 'Sexual Entertainment licence' which, apart from the cost, can be mighty difficult to obtain and might well prove impossible to get given the HR's location. Still worth a try though...

Mighty fine establishment - the only good thing about playing Wycombe away.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The Bevy is in Moulsecoomb not Bevendean, I used to live a minute away from it and know it well - used to be a great place for buying hooky gear. The Bevendean's pub, as mentioned, was the White Admiral.

The Hiker's Rest isn't a rough pub at all; it's a dead friendly boozer catering for all sorts. It would be a real blow for Coldean if it closed - it's a popular pub (and not just on match days)

Whether the Bevy is in Moulsecoomb or Higher Bevendean is a matter for debate (and a debated at length on another thread). I live a couple of mins from there now and would recommend you pop in for a pint and something to eat before the next home game (or if you are in the area). Pub has been turned out really nicely.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Mighty fine establishment - the only good thing about playing Wycombe away.

Many moons ago when we played up there we spent a very enjoyable pre match in there. One of the ladies (who was also an "adult star"...Sami something??) singled me out as she performed her routine using my glasses to pleasure herself....or so I'm told......I couldn't see a damn thing!

Shortly after that trip I had laser eye surgery.

True story!

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I have never been a fan of the Hiker' but if it did shut down it would be really sad news. About 20 years ago there was only London and Bristol that had more pubs than Brighton.
I suppose the whole issue comes from living in Brighton with such high land values and property prices. The company that owns The Hiker's is probably trying to make extra profits and has probably been advised that is's a large plot of land and has potential for flats which would make them a huge proft compared to a yearly rental. I have seen nothing in The Argus yet and hopefully it's just rumours. Maybe the council can start to use its authority and protect the pubs and small shops as Lewes Council seems to have by keeping out most of the greedy chain supermarkets and pubs and fast food chains.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Many moons ago when we played up there we spent a very enjoyable pre match in there. One of the ladies (who was also an "adult star"...Sami something??) singled me out as she performed her routine using my glasses to pleasure herself....or so I'm told......I couldn't see a damn thing!

Shortly after that trip I had laser eye surgery.

True story!

I think that this might be Sammy Marshall, unhappily long since 'retired' from taking her clothes off. If your peepers are up for it there's an image of her at http://www.dvd.co.uk/images/products/RVD134.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And the worst of it is: they're all turning into Co-Ops. The site of the Junction, Burgess Hill: Co-op. The old pub in Cuckfield: Co-op. The one in Cowfold: Co-op. Everywhere I look these days, there's a Co-op. How many Co-ops can we realistically take? Oddly, people seem to argue when (say) Tesco Express try and wangle their way in. Yet slowly, we're all being taken over by luminous green & black façades, and nobody seems to notice.

Hurstpierpoint also has one Co-op too many.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Not another pub :nono::nono::nono: use your local or you will lose it! Cuckfield are losing or lost 3 of it 6 pubs that's 50% of it pubs
Haywards Heath has lost 5 Pubs and 2 bars that I can remember since I lived in the Heath Burgess hill have lost The Royal George Kings Head and the Junction not small pubs! We have had a few new pubs in Burgess Hill and Heath but often these are big chains doing the same sort of food! And boring!

It's the NON planning app wave through that is the big appeal. The 'silver wok' restaurant was very similar to a pub on it's standalone site outside Horsham. Tesco Express opened and a couple off weeks later the weekly supply of 25,000 carrier bags RAN OUT after 5 days suggesting turnover on that site made it a goldmine compared with a few hundred meals per week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here