Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Healthy Living Thread

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Never listen to any advice you get on NSC. (Excluding this of course)

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
The 5:2 diet. Dead easy, sustainable (have been on it 2 months and doesn't even feel like a diet), have lost nearly a stone and has decent science backing it up in respect of lots of associated health benefits

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Only make changes to your diet that you are happy to keep up for the rest of your life.

But usually 2 months in and 2 stone down you are convinced never to go back to your old ways anyway.

Personally never buy into anything that you feel obliged to continue for a life time.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Only make changes to your diet that you are happy to keep up for the rest of your life.

Not sure I understand that... why not make a concerted effort for a short period of time to lose weight, and then adopt a sensible stability regime which keeps you at the desired new weight?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Cut back on ready meals and takeaways; instead make as much as you can from scratch. Bolognese, sandwiches, even desserts are healthiER when made by yourself from simple ingredients.

Just eat less junk food, eat more fruit/veg/white meat, and keep active where possible. A brisk walk, cycle to work, a jog here and there. Also consider investing in a set of dumbbells. £20 from Argos and you can avoid the gym althogether, even in the bleak midwinter. If you work for a company, consider asking colleagues if they want to meet up for weekly badminton or football sessions after work or on the weekends.

Finally, remember alcohol is empty calories. Lots and lots of empty calories. If you are really serious about getting in better shape, limit the drink intake :) Can't go far wrong with this advice, and I should know, because by following these pointers, I've never been out-of-shape in my life!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Cut out a lot of wheat, so white bread, white pasta, white rice. Swap them for brown / wholemeal alternatives. Stick to measuring these out to, and cutting down portions. Try and make dinners yourselves from ingredients rather than jars and sauces.

Paleo diet has proven quite successful with people I know, if you can stick to it, with some exercise you should see results.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
By the way fat isn't 'bad' - Sat fat is, and so is sugar. Nuts are high in fat, but contain natural fats

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Not sure I understand that... why not make a concerted effort for a short period of time to lose weight, and then adopt a sensible stability regime which keeps you at the desired new weight?

What you have said is almost what I was getting at, it is no good "going on a diet", and then going back to what you used to eat as soon as you've lost the weight 'cos it'll all go straight back on again. Find sensible food and portions that you are happy with and stick with it, don't bother with the fad diets 'cos you spend far to much time worrying about exactly what you're eating rather than enjoying it.

I'm not going to proscribe what should and shouldn't be eaten as that isn't the point of a healthy diet - too much of any type of food is bad for you!

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Learn how to skip. Download NHS couch to 5 km. Instead of running to the music skip. This can be done anywhere. I guarantee you will see the difference in a month, both in weight and breathing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cut out crisps, cakes, chocolate snacks, chips, cheese etc..... eat more fruit, salad, eggs, tuna, wholemeal bread, peanut butter, dark chocolate, smaller portions of main meals (plenty of protein, fewer carbs). Snack on small quantities of dried fruit or nuts.

I have lost 3st 7lbs in 5 months, without any extra exercise or ever feeling hungry... only another 12lbs* to be 'overweight' rather than 'obese'! :thumbsup:

* YES, I know!

Hope you get there but... if you do, you are going to have to change your name to Bulk Carrier or Ro-Ro .:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here