Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The half-time change

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Much praise from Danny Murphy and the BBC pundits about Graham Potter's tactical half-time change, and how it led to our second-half control of the game, and, ultimately, the victory.

Up steps Graham Potter for his post-match interview and reveals it was an enforced change as Dan Burn had a tight hamstring (I think that's what he said anyway, as BBC immediately cut him off to end the broadcast).

Feels like a bit of luck we were due.

Luck schmuck, he's protecting Burn, who played pretty well in the first half lest we forget, and subbing on Zeqiri is the arguably the least like for like swop he could have made, that was tactical.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
This time a hamstring worked in our (short term) favour. It is a concern though the number of similar injuries we have in the squad . Is it the type of training ? The time of year after a hard season and short break from last year? .... or just bad luck?

Most clubs seem to have several players out injured. I assume due to the chaotic schedule, although we seem to have had no massive fixture pile-ups.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Exactly, even so, I don’t think any of us would have put Zequiri there. An inspired choice.

We've said it before, Zeqiri has a left peg, he should have been an option when Solly got injured. He's played there for us before briefly and looked fine.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
7 men on the sub bench and not a defender in sight. Same in the last match .
Why would you have no defensive players and loads of strikers and attacking midfielders

3 of our first choice back 5 out injured with long term injuries?

I don’t know why Karbo wasn’t on the bench, however.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ziqiri was still a tactical master stroker.

Was he watching Connolly’s video...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Changes are always dead easy to retrospectively hail as a master stroke. In reality, they sometimes might get you a result and sometimes might not. But it's mainly purely random how it works out. Sake! :rolleyes:

i know you're a hughtonista, but, christ, occasionally give the man some credit, (as it makes you look a cock)

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Even if it was enforced Potter will have seen the benefits and can take the formation tweak forward into future games.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Much praise from Danny Murphy and the BBC pundits about Graham Potter's tactical half-time change, and how it led to our second-half control of the game, and, ultimately, the victory.

Up steps Graham Potter for his post-match interview and reveals it was an enforced change as Dan Burn had a tight hamstring (I think that's what he said anyway, as BBC immediately cut him off to end the broadcast).

I heard that and my heart cried , i really thought he had done the biz instead of just trying to shore things up . I hope he keeps playing positive attacking subs when we are ahead , instead of doing what Chris Hughton always did it didn`t work then and it wont now . The biggest truest i ever heard is " Attack is the best form of defence "

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Maybe the change was forced, but the choice to bring on Zequiri was a very good one.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Your opinions are meaningless to me sneaky roger . Go talk to the face. Somebody else's face that gives a shit about your opinions that is :wave:

ah, tiresome tommy, always with the angry, unfunny, scotch, moaning.

watch rugby league, or partick thistle, same thing really; cos i'll tell something for nothing, you know nothing about football :thumbsup::thumbsup:

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Thought zequiri was excellent . Fast up the wing , good in the tackle and much more of a goal threat than burn ( obviously) !

If we ever switch to 433, I think he'd do a decent job on the left or right of the attack with Wellbeck (or a new CF next season) in the middle.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think I am right in saying that nobody on NSC EVER, has suggested playing swiss Andi as a left wing back. Not even in the wildest of 'what balls are coming out the hat in what order for Potter today?' selection threads :wink:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He changed things - changed the system and deserves all the praise. Danny Murphy - if anyone still doesn’t see how good Potter is for us and our level and our club, you could have just listened to him today to understand.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Luck schmuck, he's protecting Burn, who played pretty well in the first half lest we forget, and subbing on Zeqiri is the arguably the least like for like swop he could have made, that was tactical.

I said to my Saints supporters co-watchers that it was tactical - attacking player for a defender. I also let on it was in my view “dangerous”...... for us. Very very happy I was wrong. Potter tactical genius.:albion2:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I said to my Saints supporters co-watchers that it was tactical - attacking player for a defender. I also let on it was in my view “dangerous”...... for us. Very very happy I was wrong. Potter tactical genius.:albion2:

It was dangerous, which is why it was important, we've played to safe in recent times when defending something, so taking that risk shows that Potter understands we're better on the front foot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here