Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Guardian's Assessment - From nowhere to the Premier League

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm going to enjoy being in the Prem. I know we won't win many, but we might do enough to stay up. If we don't, well, I loved being in the Championship, and, who knows, we might even get back up again, like others have done.
There's no point in finding negatives in everything, as life is too short.

Nailed it.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Good post. I differ with the ending about the strategy of a rock solid defence if we're low scorers, only because it sends teams down - Boro. Your other comments hit the nail on the head in that we need 40 plus goals, or even better the Bournemouth model. But we would need some new offensive players to do that.

Firstly you need an offensive manager because Hughton in the prem is quite negative...

Could possibly be why you are struggling to recruit that striker?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Those saying it's OK if we go down need their respective heads examined. It is good for nobody at the club, and especially TB, so stop and think before you post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped, I thought and I still posted. As long as we don't go into massive debt, then it is ok to go down. I will still be there supporting the team as I have done for the last 55 years. There are 92 clubs in England, some go through bad times, others don't. That's life. I'm certainly not going to panic or worry about it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Firstly you need an offensive manager because Hughton in the prem is quite negative...

Could possibly be why you are struggling to recruit that striker?

Would agents/potential new players in England or the continent really know about this 'negative Hughton in the PL' tag? I thought it was just peddled by never happy Norwich and Newcastle keyboard blame merchants, especially Norwich.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Would agents/potential new players in England or the continent really know about this 'negative Hughton in the PL' tag? I thought it was just peddled by never happy Norwich and Newcastle keyboard blame merchants, especially Norwich.

I think it can have a big say when players are given options between clubs. Hughton is a fantastic Championship manager, but he isn't so highly rated when it comes to the top level.

Think you would be surprised how much research players/agents do to secure these multi million pound contracts. A proven striker wouldn't touch Brighton currently because Hughtons record in the prem isn't great in terms of attacking football.

Its effectively like signing for a Pulis type team but without the guranteed survival and the possibility of being isolated up front in alot of games. Can't say it would appeal to me either....

Hopefully a more positive approach is taken with Brighton, but leopards don't usually change their spots....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it can have a big say when players are given options between clubs. Hughton is a fantastic Championship manager, but he isn't so highly rated when it comes to the top level.

Think you would be surprised how much research players/agents do to secure these multi million pound contracts. A proven striker wouldn't touch Brighton currently because Hughtons record in the prem isn't great in terms of attacking football.

Its effectively like signing for a Pulis type team but without the guranteed survival and the possibility of being isolated up front in alot of games. Can't say it would appeal to me either....

Hopefully a more positive approach is taken with Brighton, but leopards don't usually change their spots....

Players and their advisers are far more analytical than I'd guessed. I thought they generally chased the money, subject to choosing a bigger or more ambitious club if more than one club are in for them. I can see how some might also be influenced by a manager with a reputation for improving players such as Klopp.

That's a shame if Hughton is considered to be as equally as unattractive to play under as Pulis.

Personally I've loved our style of play over the last 2 and a half years.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yep, I think the following clubs will definitely be in a relegation battle all season:
Albion
Huddersfield
Burnley
Watford
Swansea

And one or perhaps two of these might:
Southampton
Palace
Newcastle
West Ham

EVERYONE from 8th down is in a relegation battle until about 3 weeks to go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Players and their advisers are far more analytical than I'd guessed. I thought they generally chased the money, subject to choosing a bigger or more ambitious club if more than one club are in for them. I can see how some might also be influenced by a manager with a reputation for improving players such as Klopp.

That's a shame if Hughton is considered to be as equally as unattractive to play under as Pulis.

Personally I've loved our style of play over the last 2 and a half years.

Ignore the random. He hasn't a clue. He's just furthering HIS own opinions / prejudices.

Player's choices are based on money, status, opportunities and more money.

The entire football world knows that Eddie Howe is a smug, self-obsessed little wanker, but players will even sign for him, if offered enough cash.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Ignore the random. He hasn't a clue. He's just furthering HIS own opinions / prejudices.

Player's choices are based on money, status, opportunities and more money.

The entire football world knows that Eddie Howe is a smug, self-obsessed little wanker, but players will even sign for him, if offered enough cash.

And you do?

Take your anti Howe/Bournemouth hat off for a minute and you will see my comments were merely stating fact.

I haven't had a dig at Brighton just stating that Hughtons reputation at Premier League level isn't that great. He has experience of not getting much return with his strikers due to his style of play. This obviously could change...

Currently if a striker was offered the same money by Brighton and Watford I think he would choice Watford because of the manager and their style of play will be similar to Hulls towards the end of the season which was exciting to watch.

Please explain how this has anything to do with Eddie Howe?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And you do?

Take your anti Howe/Bournemouth hat off for a minute and you will see my comments were merely stating fact.

I haven't had a dig at Brighton just stating that Hughtons reputation at Premier League level isn't that great. He has experience of not getting much return with his strikers due to his style of play. This obviously could change...

Currently if a striker was offered the same money by Brighton and Watford I think he would choice Watford because of the manager and their style of play will be similar to Hulls towards the end of the season which was exciting to watch.

Please explain how this has anything to do with Eddie Howe?

Be honest. Have you frequently watched much of Brighton under Hughton?

IMO it's been brilliant counter attacking play in 75% of games over the his tenure. An immense an amount of goals scored. Far more pleasing on the eye than the predictable slow play of the three previous Amex managers:

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Be honest. Have you frequently watched much of Brighton under Hughton?

IMO it's been brilliant counter attacking play in 75% of games over the his tenure. An immense an amount of goals scored. Far more pleasing on the eye than the predictable slow play of the three previous Amex managers:

Honestly no, but i have seen Hughton teams play in the premier league and it's not pretty to watch.

The problem is when a club/manager are promoted from the championship the club has to evolve its style as that style won't always work as well in the premier league.

Now imagine playing that style you describe, but not winning any games and not taking the very few chances you create. Its easy to be happy when your winning every week lets see how the mood is in a few months time when your struggling to see where the next win is coming from.

In the Championship he is a very good manager thats plays an exciting brand of counter attacking football. Premier League we will wait and see I guess....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Honestly no, but i have seen Hughton teams play in the premier league and it's not pretty to watch.

The problem is when a club/manager are promoted from the championship the club has to evolve its style as that style won't always work as well in the premier league.

Now imagine playing that style you describe, but not winning any games and not taking the very few chances you create. Its easy to be happy when your winning every week lets see how the mood is in a few months time when your struggling to see where the next win is coming from.

In the Championship he is a very good manager thats plays an exciting brand of counter attacking football. Premier League we will wait and see I guess....

Bournemouth haven't changed at all - attack with a kamikaze defence, but it's kept the club up. Along with cash injections from a billionaire.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bournemouth haven't changed at all - attack with a kamikaze defence, but it's kept the club up. Along with cash injections from a billionaire.

It would seem on of the Albion's greatest assets will be the assumption that the tactically astute manager is incapable of learning or change. :facepalm:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Some of Hughton's results after promotion at Newcastle: 6-0 v Aston Villa (incl Carroll hat-trick), 4-3 at Chelsea (incl Shola Ameobi 2), 5-1 v Sunderland (2 more for Ameobi), 1-0 win at Arsenal (Carroll again).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here