Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The growing awareness of the Albion around the globe

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I have just come back from a language week with my Austrian school in Malahide and was blown away with just how much the locals knew about the Seagulls and just how praiseworthy they were. All the football fans I spoke to were appreciative of our style of play and thought that Evan Ferguson was in exactly the right place for his development. They were more worried that the national team had to find 10 other players to form a decent team with him but I reassured them that there may be some more coming through at the Albion in the near future.

Even though we've been in the Prem a while, we're definitely moving into unchartered territory.

Have any other Seagulls noticed this positivity on their travels or where they live?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We're definitely better known in Almeria these days. In the past I'd get a puzzled look if I said I supported Brighton. These days anyone with a passing interest in the Prem is familiar with us and our players.

I imagine in countries where the PL is popular, we're very much a talking point.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Don’t think we’ll be seeing our shirts sold at the JD Sports at Gatwick Airport just yet, however the Japanese fans are making us feel like a global club.

Overheard a family on the seafront saying that they are going to support Brighton more next season, cause it’s just easier to go to the games with the kids, than going up to Arsenal. So the central Hove posse are catching on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had several conversations with locals in Thailand last month…….as soon as they know you’re English, they usually want to talk about football. We’re not under the radar any more based on what they knew (and virtually all were either Liverpool or Man U ‘fans’) - the Mitoma effect has rippled throughout Asia for sure.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I had to google Malahide. I thought Ferguson must be Austrian for a second.
Lovely place, Triggaar - you should nip over for a break. I was in heaven in the local pubs - wall-to-wall sports on TV, great beer, friendly locals.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lovely place, Triggaar - you should nip over for a break. I was in heaven in the local pubs - wall-to-wall sports on TV, great beer, friendly locals.
They were friendly to you, you're not English (unless of course you are).

If I were able to go for a break there, it would be with the family, so the sports on TV wouldn't go down well.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We’re not and never will be a global club in the true sense. We’ve got thousands of temporary/transient fans attached to players, bu not the club. The Globals are the handful that hog all the trophies in every league. What we are now is much better known. But I’m not under any illusions our new fan base wouldn't disappear quicker than the economy under Liz Truss should we go down; or certain players move on without an equivalent replacement (which is bloody hard to do let’s face it)

Which is why our local fan base should never be taken for granted. Cos even a lot of them fecked off in the war years.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Saw a few locals in Antigua wearing Brighton shirts last year.
i don’t know believe. How on earth could they get their hands on for starters unless they pre ordered, are members, know Peter Ward etc as qualifying criteria.

It’s just bullshit. You were on the Rum, and saw Sheff Wed shirts. Who are Massive as everyone knows.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Don’t think we’ll be seeing our shirts sold at the JD Sports at Gatwick Airport just yet, however the Japanese fans are making us feel like a global club
The Japanese impact on getting extra home tickets has been very noticeable, they're getting snapped up very quickly when the members window opens.
I wonder if we’d look for a another Japanese wonderkid if Mitoma left

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
They were friendly to you, you're not English (unless of course you are).

If I were able to go for a break there, it would be with the family, so the sports on TV wouldn't go down well.
I am English and they were friendly - maybe it's just my winning and charming personality?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
We’re not and never will be a global club in the true sense. We’ve got thousands of temporary/transient fans attached to players, bu not the club. The Globals are the handful that hog all the trophies in every league. What we are now is much better known. But I’m not under any illusions our new fan base wouldn't disappear quicker than the economy under Liz Truss should we go down; or certain players move on without an equivalent replacement (which is bloody hard to do let’s face it)

Which is why our local fan base should never be taken for granted. Cos even a lot of them fecked off in the war years.
You're absolutely right - the regular fans need looking after and I think, in the main, the club do recognise that.
However, it's bloody lovely for the rest of us to no longer be asked if we support another, "bigger" Premier League club!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
i don’t know believe. How on earth could they get their hands on for starters unless they pre ordered, are members, know Peter Ward etc as qualifying criteria.

It’s just bullshit. You were on the Rum, and saw Sheff Wed shirts. Who are Massive as everyone knows.
They were the earlier versions of the American Express shirts from several seasons ago. Maybe given as part of the shirt programme the club were involved in. We as a family gave half a dozen shirts from over the years to the cause.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am English and they were friendly - maybe it's just my winning and charming personality?
Damn your misleading username.

I've never felt the English are particularly welcome in Ireland :shrug: Maybe it's just some parts, or some wrong'uns.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They were the earlier versions of the American Express shirts from several seasons ago. Maybe given as part of the shirt programme the club were involved in. We as a family gave half a dozen shirts from over the years to the cause.
Woosssh! :)

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I'm in Mumbai currently.
The local guide today started to chat about football and rattled off the names of 8 Albion players and De Zerbi.
In our Championship seasons it would have been, who are Brighton?
I think that it might also have been the case in our first few EPL seasons...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here